Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Time to put the MIL on the hi and bye list, too.

I would probably buy her a ridiculous amount of earrings LOL. Like 12 pairs. Then buy her earrings for every holiday, birthday, event, for the rest of her life.
OMG that is HILARIOUS.

Now I know why you got a Rat Terrier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:08 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Wow, people taking gifts back! It's like people don't understand what "gift" means. If you give something to someone that means it's not yours anymore. I think we should add one mandatory class in our schools called "manners" so that everybody understands what the words and gestures actually mean.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Yes, it's very tacky but a lot of people suck so give them back and don't waste anymore time thinking about it. People like that thrive on negative reactions. Don't give her the power

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsklmn View Post
She doesn't know how to use email. She's too primitive for that.
Why don't you get her a laptop and teach her how to use it? Who knows? You and her might develop some kind of relationship.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:48 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
If my MIL asked me this, I would say, "Of course." To assume she will never give them back is not even in my realm of possibility.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I don't get the drama here. I'm more comfortable with my dil than I am with my son. We swap, gift, trade and give back or take back. What I love about her is the comfort level we share, we never feel a need to apologize. I'd give her the moon and if I needed it back one dark night she'd oblige me. Definitely more going on with OP and her mil that's not being said.
I couldn't help but wonder if that's how the OPs MIL thinks.

People who never think they need to apologize, usually do in my world. And if you gave me the moon and wanted it back, fogeddabouddit. Nacho moon!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:57 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Gifts are supposed to be given with no expectation of compensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
If you give something to someone that means it's not yours anymore.
You two are living in a dream world and it wouldn't surprise me if people are taking advantage of you.

Gifts are discretionary. Means I choose to give them or not, I choose to let you keep them or not. Gifts are not meant to receive something tangible in return, that I agree with. If I give you a gift, you don't need to give me anything tangible in return, in fact I don't allow it. But that's the only restriction.

Some gifts are pointless to ask back - for example, a gift card. If I give you a gift card, I have zero intention of asking for it back because it makes no sense. But then, such a gift has no affection behind it. It's purely practical.

If I give an article of clothing, I likely won't ask for it back simply because of the hassle of returning it. Thus why I normally don't gift clothing.

But if I give you something that is from the heart, I expect you to behave appropriately before, during and after the gifting. If you don't, then yes, I'm likely to ask for it back. You want to talk manners? MANY people have never been taught how to appreciate others. It doesn't stop in the 4 seconds it takes to say "thank you". Appreciation should continue until it's deserved otherwise.

I gave a person a 14k gold dipped single rose in special packaging imported (at the time) from Canada. Such things simply don't happen on a regular basis. Yet, not 24 hours later, she had an attitude problem about something silly - hair or something. NO. I took it back with haste and sold it on eBay or something.

I gave another person a four-leaf clover encased in glass. DOES NOT get gifted on a regular basis. Yet not 5 hours later, she was "too busy" to talk to me, despite sitting there doing nothing. NO. Took it back with haste.

The last gift I ever gave someone was a chrome makeup compact engraved with her initials. I didn't ask for it back because you can't return engraved, but I knew that when I gifted it. She wasn't rude or anything to me, so even if it wasn't engraved I wouldn't have taken it back. She appreciated it. How it's supposed to be.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:07 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You two are living in a dream world and it wouldn't surprise me if people are taking advantage of you.

Gifts are discretionary. Means I choose to give them or not, I choose to let you keep them or not. Gifts are not meant to receive something tangible in return, that I agree with. If I give you a gift, you don't need to give me anything tangible in return, in fact I don't allow it. But that's the only restriction.

Some gifts are pointless to ask back - for example, a gift card. If I give you a gift card, I have zero intention of asking for it back because it makes no sense. But then, such a gift has no affection behind it. It's purely practical.

If I give an article of clothing, I likely won't ask for it back simply because of the hassle of returning it. Thus why I normally don't gift clothing.

But if I give you something that is from the heart, I expect you to behave appropriately before, during and after the gifting. If you don't, then yes, I'm likely to ask for it back. You want to talk manners? MANY people have never been taught how to appreciate others. It doesn't stop in the 4 seconds it takes to say "thank you". Appreciation should continue until it's deserved otherwise.

I gave a person a 14k gold dipped single rose in special packaging imported (at the time) from Canada. Such things simply don't happen on a regular basis. Yet, not 24 hours later, she had an attitude problem about something silly - hair or something. NO. I took it back with haste and sold it on eBay or something.

I gave another person a four-leaf clover encased in glass. DOES NOT get gifted on a regular basis. Yet not 5 hours later, she was "too busy" to talk to me, despite sitting there doing nothing. NO. Took it back with haste.

The last gift I ever gave someone was a chrome makeup compact engraved with her initials. I didn't ask for it back because you can't return engraved, but I knew that when I gifted it. She wasn't rude or anything to me, so even if it wasn't engraved I wouldn't have taken it back. She appreciated it. How it's supposed to be.

so, let me get this straight. If you give a gift to someone and then you decide they're not kissing your tush enough, you demand the gift back?

Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

This is just odd and shows a severe disconnect with the normal process of giving. The OP, on the other hand, is just looking to create or continue preexisting problems with her mother in law. The mother in law gave her a personal gift and then, due to her own earrings being damaged, asked to borrow them back for an event or a short period. The OP, instead of exhibiting some gratitude and lending the MIL the earrings, creates a scenario where she will never get them back and also manages to call her a stone ager or something for the social crime of not using email. In fact she has charged the MIL with the type of behavior "revelated" is proud to exhibit.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
so, let me get this straight. If you give a gift to someone and then you decide they're not kissing your tush enough, you demand the gift back?
Yep. That pretty much sums it up. One of my aunt's had a similar modus operandi. She used gifts to buy her family's love, then she snatched them back as soon as we failed to live up to her expectations. She always kept a scorecard, and eventually we tired of the game and stopped voluntarily associating with her outside of obligatory holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships