Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of male friends who have gotten into relationships and bailed on most everyone in their social circle.

Why do people (especially men) do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
If you want to know why your friends to that to you, ask them.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Well depends. When do they bail? Is it after they have dated the person a while? If so, and things have gotten closer or more serious, they spend more time with their SO. Usually, in many cases, a serious romantic partner takes priority over friends, because it's a more intimate bond for many.

So their attention and priorities shift. Now in other cases, some people are uncomfortable with their SO spending alot of time with opposite sex friends. And the reasons why are obvious. So they cut back for their SO.

Those are some reasons. Whether or not it's your friends' reason is another matter. You can only know why they did something by asking them. Otherwise, we can only give theories and guess.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:59 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I have a couple of male friends who have gotten into relationships and bailed on most everyone in their social circle.

Why do people (especially men) do this?
If your friends are looking to be in relationships, they require an investment of time and commitment, and time toward the relationship means less time for other things/people. And to show your romantic interest that you're serious about them, you don't spend all your time with your friends instead.

When you are in a relationship, each person brings their own friends and family into the mix, so there may be double the people to prioritize and free time only goes so far. Hopefully they can eventually find a happy balance.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Because others in their social circle won't have sex with them.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well depends. When do they bail? Is it after they have dated the person a while? If so, and things have gotten closer or more serious, they spend more time with their SO. Usually, in many cases, a serious romantic partner takes priority over friends, because it's a more intimate bond for many.

So their attention and priorities shift. Now in other cases, some people are uncomfortable with their SO spending alot of time with opposite sex friends. And the reasons why are obvious. So they cut back for their SO.

Those are some reasons. Whether or not it's your friends' reason is another matter. You can only know why they did something by asking them. Otherwise, we can only give theories and guess.
This, mostly. They've found someone who fulfills needs other than what other friends do. Also, and I am wearing flame retardant clothing, young women want their boyfriends to spend time with them rather than the drinking buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Because others in their social circle won't have sex with them.
And then, there's this.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I have a couple of male friends who have gotten into relationships and bailed on most everyone in their social circle. Why do people (especially men) do this?
Either you don't know many women or just really biased, but some people, no matter the gender, just get really intense with infatuation and dating stuff. Like men, I know plenty of women who drop off the planet when they get involved. Sometimes, they don't realize or mean to be so unavailable. Maybe we all exhibit some version of this. Some even stop greeting other people. But try not to interpret it as bad or rude. It's just the 'love jones'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYWXyWkZDNw

Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I understand why this happens and try not to take things personally. Still, my friends shouldn't expect me to stick around in the same manner when their of-the-moment rump-lationship fails. Heck, during that time, I likely would've built stronger bonds with others/made new friends, and my old friends just can't expect to reenter my life as if nothing happened. Note, I'm not some control freak who has to have people around me at all times (in fact, I'm pretty low maintenance), but if you aren't making ANY time for me (when I'm willing to make a little time for you) over some fling, then don't expect that I would not have moved on. In such cases, the only "in" my old friends would likely have is getting to know those who replaced them.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
You just get used to it much earlier when you are a girl. From the second your friend has her first boyfriend, she bails big time. Once they break up she expects to be right back in the group, thick as thieves. It's rude and hurtful. But when you are a girl it starts in 5th grade. At least a married man has an excuse. He needs to focus on his budding family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships