Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I just think this is so weird. Has anybody ever been in a situation like this, and what would you do, if anything?
I’ve been in a similar situation. The only thing you can do is go out and meet more of the locals. Be honest and open about the situation on the property and try to be part of the community. You can even spin it to how the nieghbor was taking advantage of the prior owner. After a while while your reputation will come back. If you don’t do anything, then everyone will just hear that one side and think it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,463 times
I went to college in western Massachusetts, but I still don't have much insight into the locals.

You could either ignore it or, you know, go up and offer them brownies (make it something in which you couldn't be accused of hiding drugs, of course). Again, those are the options - (a) be private or (b) try to ingratiate yourself with them and other neighbors. If you do care what the neighbors say, you're probably better off "being seen", smiling a lot, being somewhat dressed and groomed when outside [Personally, in my new neighborhood, I try not to go outside if I'm not adequately dressed and if I haven't yet brushed my hair, but it's rarely possible].

One other thing to consider: they probably consider all academics to be on drugs. You know: town-gown.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,620 times
So, there ARE yahoos in the eastern U.S......
Believe me, people know when they have a crackpot in the neighborhood. And they know it's not you. Do you think this is the first time these folks have slandered someone?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,348 times
Four of the other houses are all one family, and the house I bought was from their aunt. I think a nephew had an offer on it but I offered full price.

And, the neighbor with the horses only went to high school, certainly not something to be ashamed of, but he says it with pride. The people who mentioned town-gown issues were perceptive to read that between the lines.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
I think most neighbors gossip anyway. Thats the nature of the beast. I avoid it because quite simply it bores me. When I hear it about me I usually confront it. My neighbors and I get along well and it almost never happens. We depend on each other too much. Thats life in the sticks.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,524 times
I recently found out that my dear sister had been slandered in an email from a mother to the entire parent roster of the PTA. My sister is a sweet person, with not one bad bone in her body. The community supported my sister and the writer lost a number of her friends.

I would ignore the neighbor and with time, the community will see the truth by the way you live by example.

Also, your neighbor's karma is eternally damaged.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Gossip? What other people think of you or say about you is none of your business, and you have no control over it whatsoever.
I completely disagree. When you're being dragged through the mud, with untrue allegations at that, it's absolutely your business and you do have SOME control over it.

I agree with MainStreet - your neighbor's karma IS eternally damaged and IMO, this is a big deal.

I think you're doing what you can - talking to other neighbors, assuring them you're not on drugs/nuts/an evil ass. I think just getting out there and letting your neighbors get to know you is the best possible defense you've got. Pretty soon, they'll start telling you how they never believed so-and-so anyway because he's a loony tunes and they've been wishing he'd move for years.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
Every other week paint his horses. Pretty soon he'll think he's on drugs. No? Ok then call the local sheriff and tell him you think that crazy drug crazed neighbor of yours is growing grass out behind his barn or something.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM

320 posts, read 954,497 times
people will always talk about people...just learn how to deal with it

Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Gossip? What other people think of you or say about you is none of your business, and you have no control over it whatsoever.
Spoken like a true gossip...
Most Gossips feel it is their right to slander and meddle with other peoples lives. When confronted they usually lie or point fingers at someone else. LOL I didn't start it so and so brought you up. Interestingly enough they also tend to get the most upset when they are the target of gossip.
About a year ago a woman at work.( One of the worst gossips I know) Came to me and started a conversation about my neighbor. A neighbor I happen to like a great deal. Did you hear about so and so?
Me: No
Gossip: Well becareful if he offers you a check. Rumor has it he has been bouncing them all over town.
Me: Why would he offer me a check???? For that matter how is this any of mine or your business?
Gossip: Now flustered... Oh I was just saying what I heard.
How to recognize a gossip.
1. They know dirt about anyone within 25 sq miles of their home.
2. They like to glance over their shoulder and whisper before slinging mud.(Gossips hate getting caught)
3. They are overly friendly and love to ask question about your personal life.
4. Very quick to point out gossip is harmless
5. Overly defencive about their own lives. Gee I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships