Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,123,325 times

Advertisements

I was pranked by my son and his best friend.

My son was in HS and he and his best friend were always together and his buddy called me Mom and I loved him as a son.

They would sometimes sleep over at each other's houses. I have a magnetic memo board on my frig. A couple of days after Matt slept over I saw writing on the memo board and it was a note from Matt to my son. It was only a couple of lines, but the last line said, "Don't forget Health Dept. for STD's."

My mind started churning as I had the talk with my sons about using protection. I was under the impression that he hadn't had sex yet. (How would I know?) He was a teenager! (and no, my kids had curfews and were not allowed to come and go as they please)

When my son came home from school that day, I questioned Matt's note and began to give my him a sermon thinking I had taught him better. He sat there quietly nodding his head with a straight face. He said that he was embarrassed about it and wanted Matt to come over and help him explain.

When Matt came to the house he apologized for writing that message on the board and said he never should have written it because.....It was a prank on me and we all laughed so hard and I swore I'd get them back.

It's more than a fond memory to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,218,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In my social groups, and other upscale groups, pranking is considered a sign of adolescence, and shows the prankster may never really be an adult. Really low class.
Prank | Define Prank at Dictionary.com

There is nothing low class about innocent fun (this includes jokes too) where no one gets hurt. I find
it hard to believe that "upscale groups" don't have some innocent and unpretentious diversions.
Or do they?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell...oys#.jtA36przR

Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 AM

6,443 posts, read 9,798,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In my social groups, and other upscale groups, pranking is considered a sign of adolescence, and shows the prankster may never really be an adult. Really low class.

What a sad and uptight world you must live in.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Prank | Define Prank at Dictionary.com

There is nothing low class about innocent fun (this includes jokes too) where no one gets hurt. I find
it hard to believe that "upscale groups" don't have some innocent and unpretentious diversions.
Or do they?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell...oys#.jtA36przR
Thank you for backing me up on this topic. When I originally started the first pranking topic, I actually thought it would be a different upbeat topic, something for people to laugh about.

Thank you so much for your positive reinforcement on this subject. I honestly appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
What a sad and uptight world you must live in.
Thank you for having my back. I blocked 2 posters that called me a sadist and said all of us pranksters should be committed and C-D should not allow this topic. I can't see if those posts were removed or not.

I wish every prankster would post on each forum to show that laughter is so much better than being crabby.

I did post counts on each of my pranking topics and the PRANKSTERS WIN.

Thank you so much for your rebuttal!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM

6,443 posts, read 9,798,415 times
One of my favorite pranks was at work. A new very timid secretary wanted a newer style of phone than she had been given. ( I work on telephone systems) so I went and got her a gently used newer style phone and I wrote the big bosses name on the bottom with a sharpie.

I went to the big boss and told him what I was doing because I needed his help. SO he sent an email out telling his admin staff that HIS phone was missing and had his name on the bottom. hahaha Everyone got a good laugh and the new girl wasn't nearly as timid after that.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,764,876 times
Some pranks can be fun - some are just mean.

I told some of my co workers that I have emetophobia. Everybody is considerate about it.
This one co worker thought it would be fun to poke on my mental illness.
So he bought one of those fake sickness and put it on the conference room table under my papers when I was supposed to give a presentation.
I was stressed out already as is due to the material needed to be presented. I flipped the page to see that underneath my paper.
I guess it was an unfortunate event; I got a panic attack. He started yelling "it is fake it is fake..I am sorry" but I could not control my body shaking and they had to call 911.
He did a noble thing though and paid for the costs of the ambulance and what not.
So $900 later and warning from HR for him.
And for me, I was so embarrassed that I showed people my "other side" of me.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 04-21-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Thank you for having my back. I blocked 2 posters that called me a sadist and said all of us pranksters should be committed and C-D should not allow this topic. I can't see if those posts were removed or not.

I wish every prankster would post on each forum to show that laughter is so much better than being crabby.

I did post counts on each of my pranking topics and the PRANKSTERS WIN.

Thank you so much for your rebuttal!
Just because other pranksters validate you doesn't make it okay. And, yes, it is sadistic.

Nobody has ever accused me of being uptight. But I think there is something very wrong in getting pleasure from embarrassing others. Help me understand why this amuses you.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,265,878 times
I'm not a fan of pranks that scare people, are excessively embarrassing, cruel, or involve bodily functions (real or fake).

We like to have fun in my office, but it's rare that the pranks are serious.

For one guy's birthday, we spent months collecting his empty diet coke cans (he drinks 4 or 5 a day, and the office admin usually goes in every few days to clear the empties off his desk because he's too lazy to take them to the recycling bin). We made a doorway curtain of hanging coke cans, strung them around his desk, made a little obstacle course of cans, and made a big banner that read "John's 40th Birthday, Sponsored by Coca-Cola"

For another guy's birthday, we saran wrapped everything in his office.

For April Fools Day, I put an official-looking Xerox sign on the office printer/copier that said the machine had been upgraded and was now equipped with Xerox's VoiceOver(TM) Technology. It gave instructions on how to give voice commands to "COPY" or "SCAN". It also said that while the machine was in learning mode and acclimating to various voices and accents, the user may have to repeat themselves a few times. Most everyone figured out it was fake, but there were a few snickers when we heard a (non-tech savvy) coworker yelling at the copier "SCAN! SCAN! SCAN!"

Last edited by apexgds; 04-21-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,547,149 times
Cam, do you watch Impractical Jokers? Gosh, it's soooooo stupid, but sometimes I need something stupid funny in my life and those guys are it. Maybe I should have shared this in the "tv shows you're ashamed to admit you watch" thread.

apexgds, those are both funny. So is yours, SVT. Ah, I just went ahead and repped all the pranksters/storytellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships