Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My mom popped up in Virginia while I was spending the weekend in Ohio a few months ago. Hopefully that taught her a lesson about popcorn visits.
That happened to someone that I knew, too. Mom & Dad used to occasionally "pop over" (about a five hour drive) for weekend visits to my friend. My friend was in her 20s and her parents never called first, just came. It was pretty annoying to my friend but her parents kept doing it.

One Friday night, the parents arrived late and no one was home. They waited and waited but their daughter did not show up. Finally they had to get a hotel room. Saturday morning they went back to her place & waited outside and still no daughter. This was before cell phones so they couldn't call her (except on her land line). Finally after waiting around most of Saturday they drove back home (another five hours) instead of being forced to get another hotel room.

It turned out that my friend had decided to take an impromptu weekend trip with some friends and was gone all weekend.

BTW, her parents never just "popped over" again without calling first to make sure that she was home and it was OK to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Nope.
Is this a recurring thing for you, or a first-time problem? If it's first-time, I agree with the above poster: suck it up. If it's recurring, you need to learn to use your words: "I'm sorry, this week-end doesn't work at all for me. Do you want me to help you find a place to stay or do you want to take a rain check?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,939,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And here it is. Someone trying to guilt trip the OP to prevent him from setting fair boundaries and excusing bad behavior from parents just because they birthed him. Happens every thread like this. Only a matter of time.
Yep. The OP is an adult and deserves to be treated as if he were one. Doesn't mean he doesn't love his family, but he deserves that.

All it took was my mom and aunt to show up at my apartment on a Saturday morning at 8:15 when I had overnight company to break her of that. Served her right for dropping in in on a 22-year-old.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,134,358 times
Just get it over with. Think of it as 3 weekends in a row that you couldn't spend alone time with your special honey bun, and just get it done. Then next weekend, open a bottle of rose' by the firepit or shoot skeet or whatever it is you do for fun, and feel all the better that you have the unpleasantness behind you.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
My mother, grandmother, and aunt are coming from TN to IN to visit me this weekend. I was in TN two weeks ago, had to work last weekend, and am now having to entertain them.

I really didn't want them to come this weekend as this is the first weekend I've had in a long time where I'm not either traveling, working, or doing something with my girlfriend, but they pretty much decided at the first of the week that they were coming up, and that was that. My input wasn't even asked for.

Do you ever feel like the out of town family just comes when they want with little regard for your input?

Tell them you have already made plans and will not be home to visit with them.
The only reason you "have" to entertain them is because you are allowing them to control your life.
Do what you want and if you have time have supper with them at their hotel where they will have to stay because you and your home will not be available to them.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:59 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,183,502 times
We would not even go visit local family without calling first.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If that doesn't happen too often, just suck it up. A weekend goes by fast.
This. I have hardly any family who is still alive, and the few who are left don't care about me or my sister due to long standing family rifts that started when we were tiny kids. I suggest you choose your battles and count your blessings.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 AM

91 posts, read 112,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, because my out of town family doesn't do that.
What a great contribution to this discussion.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:46 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I agree.

To the OP, tell your relatives it is a bad weekend.
Pretty simple. In view of the fact that the OP hasn't posted again, though, I'd guess he has his hands full with his relatives right about now. If after telling them it was a bad time, they didn't take "no" for an answer, I would have arranged to be gone around their expected arrival time, spending the day out enjoying myself.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,802,417 times
I'm kinda confused. Are they staying at the OP's? Or are they staying at a hotel and expect to see the OP?

Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
My mother, grandmother, and aunt are coming from TN to IN to visit me this weekend. I was in TN two weeks ago, had to work last weekend, and am now having to entertain them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I'm kinda confused. Are they staying at the OP's? Or are they staying at a hotel and expect to see the OP?
Although, the OP did not say specifically, even if they were not staying at his place, it appeared to me that he was expected to "entertain them" all weekend. To me, that sounds like they are expecting to be with him during the entire day, not just meet them for lunch on Saturday afternoon or something like that.

I know people that actually sleep at hotels but go to the families homes from early morning until late at night. Whether or not that is the case with the OP, we do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships