Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I've made it very clear I don't want a funeral, and my spouse doesn't either. We'll leave this earth on good terms with those we care about, and spare them the ordeal of a funeral, since neither of us has any religious affiliation.

Ditto this. I remember what we went through with my father's funeral, and I don't want my family standing by my casket having to put on a brave face while people parade by looking at me all stiff and waxy. It's cruel. I would rather have a "wake" at my social club on 30 cent night. Sit my urn on the bar and use the cash to treat any members present to a 30 cent beer or mixed drink (and hopefully they will toast me). Even the ones who don't know me very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Ditto this. I remember what we went through with my father's funeral, and I don't want my family standing by my casket having to put on a brave face while people parade by looking at me all stiff and waxy. It's cruel. I would rather have a "wake" at my social club on 30 cent night. Sit my urn on the bar and use the cash to treat any members present to a 30 cent beer or mixed drink (and hopefully they will toast me). Even the ones who don't know me very well.
^^^^^This!!!!!

Funny, but I think as most of us age, we realize the pain and suffering a funeral puts others thru...they are suppose to be closure, and I guess for some they might be, but I have found them to be very painful, difficult, and actually DREAD the funeral portion of loosing someone.

I would much prefer a simple cremation, and a celebration of my life by those I loved enjoying something fun and happy with the funds a funeral would cost. To think "saying goodbye" to me would be a happy, smiling, joyous occasion would be MUCH more enjoyable for me to consider as I leave this world!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 AM

443 posts, read 564,981 times
That poor murdered girl! Her funeral sounds like a side show attracting freaks and creeps! I'm surprised by how many here said they dont even want a funeral! Funny, but that has been my thought too as the years go by. I would rather my family skip the tears and expense.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There was a high profile murder case here in Indiana over the last week where a college girl was murdered. I think the news was predicting hundreds, if not well over a thousand, people at the funeral, if it hasn't already occurred. This is a huge outpouring of support for the family and the deceased.

On the flip side of that, I've been to a couple of funerals where it seemed like very few were there except the closest friends and family. It seemed sad to me.

How many people would you want at your funeral? An intimate, private gathering or a larger, more public ceremony? Why?
I'm getting cremated and want my ashes spread somewhere so people don't have a place to come back to and mourn. I don't care how many people show up; it's not about me, it's for the living.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I'm requesting no funeral service. I will be cremated and scattered.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:32 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Couldn't care less. It's not a popularity contest.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Just to be clear ... the funeral often isn't the expensive part. If you're part of a church, it may even be free (maybe a suggested donation). The expense is in what is done with the body. Even without a service or viewing ... just a casket, gravesite, preparation of the gravesite, grave liner and headstone can run $6000-7000+. That's not including the fees for the funeral home to arrange all that. Even cremation can run $2000-4000.

So not having a service really won't save your family a lot of money.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Nobody. I'm gone. Go to a bar, have a drink on me, and get on with life.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
We have even considered this...nothing definite yet, but thinking about it:

Plan a Cremation | The Neptune Memorial Reef

Would be kinda nice since we are ocean lovers....

Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM

576 posts, read 422,160 times
A state funeral!!!! almost everyone in the country lining the streets openly weeping.....

Seriously though, other than members of my immediate family I wouldn't care if anyone else turned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships