Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
Then I wouldn't take it personally. They are probably just bored teenagers. In a rural area, there is not a lot for them to do. Even though it feels like you are a target, it's probably more that you are the only one there walking. If other people in the area walked, they would probably get yelled at too. I lived in a rural area, and it was rare to see someone out walking. Put in your earbuds and enjoy your walk.
I try not to and I know its teenagers but it irritates me because I KNOW these people would never on a month of Sundays give me the loser sign in public away from the car window. I always feel like in society we show our true colours when travelling in the car, the cheek that some people give over the simplest things is not even funny.

I don't really care about that though, I just feel vulnerable and frightened when i'm walking and all of a sudden hear this loud horn or shout out of nowhere, again no big deal just a little startling. I would prefer if I could do my walk in peace. Surely that isn't too much to ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
Yep. When I lived in a rural area, I never walked, but my mailbox was a target. It seemed the thing to do was to drive by and stick a bat out the window and demolish a random mailbox. After I bought a new one, my Dad told me to put a brick inside, that'd teach 'em. Bored teenagers.
Ha that must've been funny. I know teenagers are teenagers but i'd rather just do my walk in peace without having to be bombarded by annoying childish remarks from people I don't know from adam! I don't know why this is funny and I never will do, these people need to grow up.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Put some shades on and some earbuds in, listen to your music, and walk on the side of the road facing traffic. Ignore them. With earbuds in, you won't hear their comments, and with shades on, they won't know if you are looking at them or not.

They are looking for a reaction. If you do not give them one, they will get bored.

Do not flip them off. That will only potentially escalate things, and you do not want that.
I know they are looking for a reaction,it bloody well pisses me off when these people use me as bait for a laugh. I have to laugh though because thruthfully and honestly most of the people laughing at me and making signs at me for walking have been overweight.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugster43 View Post
I agree with PeachSalsa, don't flip them off. It will either escalate things into a worse situation or even just minimally, it will show them you're easily provoked and they'll come back for more entertainment at your expense. No reason to give these bored punks a reason to start s*it with you.
Its very hard not to, sometimes I have felt like throwing a stone through their window with anger. (I know thats cruising for a bruising but some of these people that do this are just *******s and mean the stuff they say to me - alot of them will be old men who just pick on young woman chastising them calling them ugly/***** etc, its very common in this country).

Old 05-01-2015, 09:15 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
It's easy for teenagers to be brave in a passing car, gutless cowards to say the least.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 PM

424 posts, read 381,438 times
lol this screams Jason.....

Old 05-01-2015, 11:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times
You seem to have a lot of problems, OP. People ignoring you online, harrassing you about God on Facebook, and now this?!? Even your screen name appears to indicate that you are plagued by misfortune. I would suggest trying to not let every minor irritation bother you so much, or at this rate you'll end up with an ulcer by age 25.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You must look abnormal or run in the ghetto or hinder cars.

Can you provide more information?

Are you male? Female? Big boobs bouncing? Massive butt? Funny running style? Funny looking clothes? Limpy-limpy running style?
Why would WHERE the exerciser is walking or running make any difference? Also, do your many questions imply that it's REASONABLE for people to yell out the window if the person under verbal attack looks a certain way?

When I used to exercise-walk in a loose track suit (or loose sweat pants and a loose T-shirt in summer) every day in a major American city, I encountered some of this shouting. I was in a middle class neighborhood, keeping to the sidewalks. I had every right to be where I was, doing what I was. I don't think I looked any weirder than any other exerciser. I was certainly more conservatively dressed than many other people on the sidewalk going to other kind of events.

Yet what the OP mentions happened to me many times. It was usually a car with two or more males, 10 to 20 years younger than I. They thought they were funny mocking someone who was trying to increase their physical fitness. I didn't care what they thought and I never acknowledged their presence in my life. I was listening to music through unobtrusive ear buds so I could successfully ignore them. I think I had the last laugh as I am healthier than many people who are significantly younger than I. They are just jerks and there are plenty of them, trying to build up their pathetic lack of self-esteem by denigrating others.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
You seem to have a lot of problems, OP. People ignoring you online, harrassing you about God on Facebook, and now this?!? Even your screen name appears to indicate that you are plagued by misfortune. I would suggest trying to not let every minor irritation bother you so much, or at this rate you'll end up with an ulcer by age 25.
Lol..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why would WHERE the exerciser is walking or running make any difference? Also, do your many questions imply that it's REASONABLE for people to yell out the window if the person under verbal attack looks a certain way?

When I used to exercise-walk in a loose track suit (or loose sweat pants and a loose T-shirt in summer) every day in a major American city, I encountered some of this shouting. I was in a middle class neighborhood, keeping to the sidewalks. I had every right to be where I was, doing what I was. I don't think I looked any weirder than any other exerciser. I was certainly more conservatively dressed than many other people on the sidewalk going to other kind of events.

Yet what the OP mentions happened to me many times. It was usually a car with two or more males, 10 to 20 years younger than I. They thought they were funny mocking someone who was trying to increase their physical fitness. I didn't care what they thought and I never acknowledged their presence in my life. I was listening to music through unobtrusive ear buds so I could successfully ignore them. I think I had the last laugh as I am healthier than many people who are significantly younger than I. They are just jerks and there are plenty of them, trying to build up their pathetic lack of self-esteem by denigrating others.
Exactly it has nothing to do with how I look. It is the fact that they are COWARDS behind a windscreen! It happens to everyone.. I am just ranting about how irritating it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships