Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make a point of calling your mother on Mother's Day?
Yes, I call my mother. 22 64.71%
No, It is a stupid holiday that only makes money for flower and candy corporations. 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Of course I called my mother on Mother's Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Hard to call a tombstone.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Visited and had a huge family dinner.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Yes I did. I generally talk to my mother every day or nearly every day.
What do you have to talk about with her every day? I rarely have anything to say to my mom, calling once/month. Unless I have some kind of news, I don't call. Life just isn't that eventful, lol.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
I called my mother, and my three daughters all got in touch with me. It's nice to be remembered.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I texted my Mother, no need to call because she wasn't feeling well and in bed most of the day.
She saw the text at some point when she was up for one reason or another.
She texted me back several hours later then went back to bed.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Funny thing, she didn't say it to me. Why does it bother me? Because this woman would have a hissy fit if her card did not arrive BEFORE the holiday (birthday, valentine's day, mother's day etc). I mean absolute fit. Would yell at me, make me feel horrible.

One time I had the kids make her drawings, put in the card and sent it out. It was returned for improper postage, I threw a couple more stamps and sent it out. It was a day late. Instead of her saying "thank you for the thoughtful drawings" I received an earful for being so stupid and not putting enough stamps on.

So I expect my mom to treat me the way she expects to be treated.
I sent my mother her gift today, Monday, and told her when I talked to her on Sunday. She said that "it is the thought that counts". I am sorry that your mother doesn't feel the same.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Of course I did not call my mother! She is not a good person (to say the least) and not worthy of praise merely because she didn't have an abortion.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:50 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Nice value judgement attached to the "No" vote. So now anyone who wishes to click the "No" has to subscribe to the value judgement appended to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I called my mother, and my three daughters all got in touch with me. It's nice to be remembered.
I wonder however are you being remembered - or are they being reminded? I think the best times in life to have someone think of you is when there is no apparent reason for them doing so. They simply remembered you and thought about you. And that is nice. Thinking of someone on a day specifically designed to make you think of them I fear cheapens it somewhat - and all seems a little contrived.

Nothing particularly against it myself having said that - but it does make one wonder a little.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
So many cynical people in the world, it's sobering.

I call my mother on Mother's Day and I make sure my boys and I honor my wife as well. Of course I also call my mother regularly throughout the year and make sure my boys respect and appreciate their mother year-round as well. I don't need Hallmark to remind me about what's important and resent having to go nuts one day each year to prove that the mother's in my life are worthy of the attention.

And not every mother is deserving of a day either. I've had the misfortune of knowing a very few women who should have had their children taken away as babies to protect them from verbal, emotional and sometimes even physical abuse. So when I encounter people who overtly shun their mothers, it's they who receive my sympathies, not their mothers, because it takes years of neglect and abuse to push a child so far that they no longer want their mother's in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships