Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

As we get older, it's easy to look back and assess what could have and should have been, against what the situation is now. We run across friends and acquaintances from long ago and judge them, at least implicitly. I've run across various people lately I either grew up, went to college with, or was in a relationship with, and it's sad how many never did much with the potential they had. Dreams were abandoned, hopes were crushed, and people are just settling for less.

Do you ever want to tell them to snap out of it, to get back in the saddle and go after it? How do you feel about situations like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Assumptions and conjecture...

Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Don't live up to their potential according to who? You? Their family? The guy that lives on the corner?

You may judge your friends but I certainly do not judge mine, they are my friends, as they are.

You are the one being judgemental not them so who's issue is it?
Why is it any of your business?
Who put you in charge of deciding what everyone's potential is?
How do you know their hopes were crushed?
How do you know they abandoned their dreams?
How do you know they settled for less?

You don't but it appears you are very good at making assumptions about people you really do not know anything about.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As we get older, it's easy to look back and assess what could have and should have been, against what the situation is now. We run across friends and acquaintances from long ago and judge them, at least implicitly. I've run across various people lately I either grew up, went to college with, or was in a relationship with, and it's sad how many never did much with the potential they had. Dreams were abandoned, hopes were crushed, and people are just settling for less.

Do you ever want to tell them to snap out of it, to get back in the saddle and go after it? How do you feel about situations like this?
Who is "we?"

I'd run from someone who does that. No room in my life for that nonsense.

Opportunities are limited in these modern times.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Exactly, previous repliers. Who decides what the potential is?

Are they happy? Are they content? Do they have love in their lives?

I think 'potential' is way over-rated. I suppose I'd be one of the people OP judges, but I'd way rather be the person with an un-glamourous job who has love and happiness and just enough money to enjoy life, than to be the person (like someone I know) who always did everything right - straight A's, best colleges, prestigious career - and is so alone that he goes over to his parents' house every single night because his beautiful home, that he bought with money earned while fulfilling his Maximum Potential, feels so cold and empty when he gets home from work.

To each their own. Your 'realizing potential' may be someone else's undesired way of life.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:05 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Exactly, previous repliers. Who decides what the potential is?

Are they happy? Are they content? Do they have love in their lives?

I think 'potential' is way over-rated. I suppose I'd be one of the people OP judges, but I'd way rather be the person with an un-glamourous job who has love and happiness and just enough money to enjoy life, than to be the person (like someone I know) who always did everything right - straight A's, best colleges, prestigious career - and is so alone that he goes over to his parents' house every single night because his beautiful home, that he bought with money earned while fulfilling his Maximum Potential, feels so cold and empty when he gets home from work.

To each their own. Your 'realizing potential' may be someone else's undesired way of life.
The answer is the OP, apparently.

There are probably others, hopefully few. I find people who do that pathetic and I want nothing to do with them.
Braggarts truly make me ill. I have run across a few of them in my life. I stay clear of people who look down on others.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I could care less. We all have our own journeys in life, who are we to expect something from anyone.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:25 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I've known people-- who on paper and to naked eye---appear to have missed the boat academically and/or job-wise/career-wise. Yet, and on further closer examination/inspection/scrutiny, are found to have actually done extraordinary things--devoting their lives to others without fanfare/pay/thanks: helping others, giving their time and talents to others without profiting, etc., etc.

I deem anyone a great success in this life who gives freely to others ---without hope of return, financial gain, self benefiting bragging rights, etc., etc. I know oodles of people who have earned countless degrees, but have done little or next to to nothing to help others. To many they seem very successful, but if truth be told, they are not.

Last edited by picklejuice; 05-12-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 01:33 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Well I was raised to reach my potential; it was a very common concept in my upper-middle class, mostly white community. No doubt Asian Tiger-moms and any ambitious immigrant parent, often harshly do what they can to ensure their kids reach their potential. The absense of this would surely lead to less successful, but perhaps more relaxed adults.

So I won't critisize the OP. Let's not get overly defensive to think that it is best for society if no one strives to reach their potential.

And to meet the OP 100%, yes, it sucks when a co-worker doesn't grow on the job, they get no better than when they started and make more work for others. It sucks when a lovely young woman gets knocked up and ends up working a crummy job for decades and gets old and bitter when she could have had much better. It sucks when a friend won't learn and hold a job, so he's often laid off and usually broke. It sucks when a 1st round draft pick in sports is out of the league in 3 years.

The opposite of this is an animal-like life, just giving way to your base instincts and taking what little is in front of you. It's an option, but not an admiral one.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I think it is one thing to express genuine concern about the well-being of those closest to you but quite another to make snap judgments about long ago acquaintances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships