Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, I was taught to address adults as "Mr. Jones" or "Mrs. Smith." But this is certainly no longer the case, at least not where I live (Maryland). Children now address adults (at least ones they have some kind of relationship with, such as the friends of their parents or the parents of their friends) as "Mr. John" or "Miss Jane." And while I can't even begin to fathom addressing the adults from my childhood by their first names, oddly enough it actually seems strange to me for a kid to call me by my last name!

So how is it done where you live? And do you like it, dislike it, or don't care either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
When I was growing up, I was taught to address adults as "Mr. Jones" or "Mrs. Smith."
That is how it is around my area.
Thank God that Miss FirstName stuff has not caught on here! If you can learn/say my first name, you can just as easily learn/say my last.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Usually by first name. It doesn't bother me, as people tend to be casual and informal in my neck of the woods.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,034,903 times
I grew up in Europe and I addressed people by Mr. & Mrs with surname.How things have changed now it is eh or hi or by first name. But in my husbands culture they still address us as uncle and auntie even if we are not related. I guess I am old fashioned and I like the respect they give to us.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
When I was growing up, I was taught to address adults as "Mr. Jones" or "Mrs. Smith." But this is certainly no longer the case, at least not where I live (Maryland). Children now address adults (at least ones they have some kind of relationship with, such as the friends of their parents or the parents of their friends) as "Mr. John" or "Miss Jane." And while I can't even begin to fathom addressing the adults from my childhood by their first names, oddly enough it actually seems strange to me for a kid to call me by my last name!

So how is it done where you live? And do you like it, dislike it, or don't care either way?
The few young kids I'm acquainted with, those of my friend who is in his 30s, refer to me as "Uncle (my first name)". Nothing more, nothing less. Actually, my others buddy's kids, now 19 and 21 or thereabouts, say the same still. I like that just fine thanks.

I am Gen X and referred to my dad and mom's friends as "Mr. (Smith)," "Mrs. (Jones)", etc. My old man, and mom for that matter, gave me the worst of it if I ever did differently. I didn't have to refer to them all as sir or ma'am, though IMO that sure isn't a bad idea either.

Kids need structure and to understand respect. And have room to run to express themselves, too, but within boundaries. End of story. I won't tolerate smart(aleck) remarks from some kid in my presence, as in "ever" directed my way without getting on it immediately. That seldom happens, even kids understand smarting off to a tall, large, generally stern man like Uncle Blondebaerde isn't the smartest idea.

That's the point, right? Appropriate respect for authority, while not running the place like a police state. Boundaries, people.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Usually by first name. It doesn't bother me, as people tend to be casual and informal in my neck of the woods.
Same here! My ex was a Sunday school teacher and was always known as "Miss Jane". The three youngsters next door make my day when they run across their back yard waving and saying "Hi, John!" (of course not my real name). Don't think a thing about it.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,811 times
It's Miss Jane or Mr John for teachers, coaches, etc and just Betty and Jack for my friends or other parents.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,572 times
In the south it's Miss First name, or Mr. First name.

In WA it's by first names, which I LOATHE. I do not want some 3 year old calling me by my first name, it seems disrespectful to me.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
In the south it's Miss First name, or Mr. First name.

In WA it's by first names, which I LOATHE. I do not want some 3 year old calling me by my first name, it seems disrespectful to me.
Yeah, a lot in WA is inappropriately casual or weird. I call it home, though, and take the good with the ill (the latter including our far left Seattle city council...but I digress).

I find it amusing and a bit confrontational to, on rare occasion, correct children here in WA that pull what you describe, and similar. Really, it's OK to do so. And yes, it's worth your energy and attention, too. Respect, boundaries, etc.

Said m'piece, now twice on this thread. Someone has to set an example for young people; that would mostly be "us" (the adults in the room, on this forum, probably Gen Y, X, and Boomers mostly).

Old 05-21-2015, 06:45 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Growing up in the 60s and 70s in Indiana, we always addressed adults as Mr. or Mrs. Last name. When I raised my children, in the 90s, I required that they address adults the same way I had been taught. But it wasn't as prevalent by then. A lot of adults would make comments about how polite my children were, as many other children called them by first name only.

I would think children anywhere in the US would still call teachers by Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms last name. Or for a complicated last name, in very early grades, perhaps a shortened version. One of my sons had a 2nd grade teacher names Mrs. Buffenbarger. At "Meet the Teacher" night, she said some children have a really hard time with her last name. When the name was being mangled by some students as "Barfenburger," she decided to go by "Mrs. Buff!" And I have a cousin, who is a kindergarten teacher, with a killer long Polish last name. She is addressed simply as Miss G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships