Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times

Advertisements

I moved out and said you're not coming with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Why waste time and money having her "legally evicted". I'm with Miss Hepburn on this...surely you can handle your own sister?..listen to convextech
Take the bull by the horns and leave the bureaucracy out of it..It'll only make things worse if you go that route, not easier or better.
Sometimes you gotta do things you don't relish...why put that on strangers, she's YOUR sister, YOU need to take control, and do what needs doing.(even if it's gonna hurt your sensibilities.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I would look up the eviction procedures in your state just so I had all my ducks in a row. Then, I wouldn't waste any time getting started and giving her notice. I think it is pretty clear that your sister has no intention of doing anything to better herself as long as she has others to fall back on. What a frustrating situation.

I think you've been generous enough. I didn't like my MIL living with us 2 days per week and she was doing that specifically so she could get to her job. Freeloaders have no shame.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I moved out and said you're not coming with.
That's a pretty drastic thing to do...easier said than done, unless you're single and not in your own home.
Why should OP disrupt his whole life for something that really IS a simple fix. He just needs to put his immediate family first. If his sis has problems with that he shouldn't make those his.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:03 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
One of my sisters is an long term unemployed and she has been moving from one relative to anther while she waits out the recession.
I have news for you (and her): This is not a 'recession' anymore. It is deepening into a depression. You don't want to 'wait it out'. Tell her to take a job -- any job -- even if it's not in her field. Time to man up, bro. This isn't going away anytime soon. What will she do, when it has affected all the rest of her family, and there's no one left to sponge off of? I fear that it's going to come to that. No good news anywhere.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I will learn from this thread.

Not long ago I had a heads up from another relative that one of my cousins is doing this. If he shows up here, I will buy him a meal and a tank of gas, and send him on his way. I won't let him in the house.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I will learn from this thread.

Not long ago I had a heads up from another relative that one of my cousins is doing this. If he shows up here, I will buy him a meal and a tank of gas, and send him on his way. I won't let him in the house.
I like your relative that called you.
Tank of gas, a meal....at least he had a car.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I doubt you would need to give notice if she's not paying any rent (I'm assuming?).

This is exactly why I told my husband under no circumstances is his brother invited to stay with us if his girlfriend ever breaks it off. He is living with her and has always been a deadbeat. He is lazy with no ambition. If she dumped him & he came here to stay, I KNOW he would never leave. We are both praying she never dumps him.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I like your relative that called you.
Tank of gas, a meal....at least he had a car.
He won't get here otherwise. There's no bus and I'm not exactly in the middle of the city. It would take too much effort for anyone in that family to walk out here.

That was another selling point for moving to Iowa. It's a good 12 hours away by car from them.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Listen to your wife. It is a very reasonable solution. I bet she finds some sort of job within a week or two if you go through with it. It is probably cheaper to get her to leave voluntarily than go through legal eviction.

Change the locks, secure your windows and do not let her back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships