Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you correct a stranger's behavior?
Yes; people need correcting sometimes 28 49.12%
No; it's better to mind my own business 29 50.88%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,223,247 times

Advertisements

I was driving with a friend and we were pulling out of a parking garage, and another woman almost hit us. It scared me but my friend was incensed about this, and followed her to the next stop light and noticed she was looking down at her phone. Friend motions her to roll down her window, she does, and then my friend asks her if she was texting back there, and that she almost hit us. The driver denied it.

Anyway, I don't want to stick my nose into other people's business, and as soon as they're out of my life without incident (especially the potentially crazy ones) i'm happy. We're lucky it wasn't an aggressive driver with a gun. I asked her if it would have been a man would she have done the same thing and she said "yes she would have. People need correction when they do something wrong that affects my life."

Anyway, am I off on not wanting to correct a strangers behavior in public? It's not really my thing and i'm wondering if i'm off the mark here. I know if someone were to approach me about my behavior, even being a somewhat shy person, it would put me on the defensive. I asked DH what he would do, and he said he would laugh at them or wave them off. I'm just worried that there's always a possibility of confronting the wrong person in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,610,489 times
In today's environment, I'd not do that (if I were a woman)... I'm a guy, 6'4" 230, and I wouldn't do that... There's too many people that would not take kindly to my correcting them, despite their (admitted or denied) actions... so, I'm with you... I'da kept my mouth shut, other than to thank God for NOT having an accident.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,872,192 times
If I have pms and a death wish

Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,781,845 times
I would not take it so far as to approach a stranger's vehicle. People get prickly and territorial. I wouldn't want to be shot in the face. (Or anywhere else, thankyaverymooch!)

However, I DO get pretty snarky when I hold a door for someone and they act like it was my duty... no acknowledgement at all. Then I'll turn into a, "Oh, REALLY!" type of person and embarrass them (and likely myself!)

Sometimes you just have to ignore the bad stuff. It's all part of living in a society, I suppose. Better to vent to a friend than to approach a complete stranger in anger. (That seems like it should rhyme. I'm disappointed it doesn't.)

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,349,134 times
The only thing I might do and have done without thinking is
blurt, "What!!!! you just sneezed in your hand and are touching all the books!!!!!!?"
And back away like she was a leper.

Oh, forgot...or say to a VERY, terribly, mean woman in a dept store being
SO awful to the clerk in clothing, "Hey, knock it off...it's not HER fault!"
I mean, it was uncalled for...naturally, the clerk was grateful.

I'm sure no one ever called her out on her 'stuff'...I'm thinking it shocked her and
gave her something to think about...even if it was only..."Gee, I shouldn't do that in public...mmm
I should save it for my husband..." Hahaha

I happen to know all the bad people that do terrible things will
burn in a lake of fire forever*...so no I don't think they need me to call them out.

* joking

Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,403,651 times
I have and I will again.

Yes.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,349,134 times
One time a bunch of oranges were rolling around...I could only push them outta
the way to the side with my foot.
I very tall man said as if I were a teenager..."Why don't you pick em up!?"

I said, the truth, 'I can't'...He said, "Oh.''

Can't remember, I think I had pulled my back really really badly that week!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:21 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,006 times
Depends on the situation, as various examples above have shown.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,152,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
or say to a VERY, terribly, mean woman in a dept store being
SO awful to the clerk in clothing, "Hey, knock it off...it's not HER fault!"
I mean, it was uncalled for...naturally, the clerk was grateful.
Ha. I witnessed a similar situation over the holidays in Macy's (the woman wasn't being really mean per se, just unnecessarily entitled and demanding, as if she were the only customer in the store). I didn't say something, but I wrote a long letter to the local paper about treating customer service people like human beings during the holiday season, and it got published. I guess writing a letter is the chicken's way of doing it, but at least I felt like it might have done *some* good!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,223,247 times
I'm afraid an eye roll and maybe a head shake is about as far as I would go with a confrontation. But it does depend on the circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships