Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:46 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Henry David Thoreau wrote, "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."

I think that's great advice. I'd avoid that party.
I'm going to send him a message on facebook to call me so I can find out how important is this attire to be all white because I don't have it in my budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
For my 50th, I specifically said "no presents" but some people brought gag gifts. Black flowers, a hot water bag, denture cream, black roses - it was funny. I think it's tacky to request anything.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
For my 50th, I specifically said "no presents" but some people brought gag gifts. Black flowers, a hot water bag, denture cream, black roses - it was funny. I think it's tacky to request anything.
Absolutely!! I usually request no gifts also, but I almost always get a couple bottles of wine or a nice bottle of scotch or chocolate. Those gifts I appreciate and can even be opened and shared right at the party. I would never ask for anything though. Some people just like to give something and that is fine.

Anyway, OP I would put your own personal finances first. I am sure there will be others who don't have the money or have budgeted it for other purposes and will decide not to attend the party. If you go over budget, you are the one who will be feeling it over the next month, not him. It sounds like your friend has more disposable income and perhaps is not thinking about others who may be on a tighter budget.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:30 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Did your friend send out the invitation? Or was it sent out in his honor. That may the expectations.

Not sure about the all white party. I was once invited to a birthday party for a one year old where you you were supposed to wear white shirts and jeans. The parents were wanting the attire because they had a professional photographer taking pictures.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
So you can't go.

Stinks, but that happens sometimes.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Did your friend send out the invitation? Or was it sent out in his honor. That may the expectations.

Not sure about the all white party. I was once invited to a birthday party for a one year old where you you were supposed to wear white shirts and jeans. The parents were wanting the attire because they had a professional photographer taking pictures.

From what the OP wrote in the original post it sounds like the "friend" sent out his own invites and said cash is the preferred gift.

Very simple solution, you can't make it.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:02 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

The invite was sent to all his friends on Facebook.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A party can have a theme.

That is fun. Not obnoxious dress code.

The present asking bugs the crap out of me. Ironic bc I always bring one. But not bc it was asked for.
I agree themes are fun. My kids always have themed birthday parties. I love planning them and I think themes are cute, but my themes never require guests to do anything in order to attend. Everyone can come as they are and enjoy the party. Some parents will accessorize their kids to match, but it never a requirement or request!

Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Cool geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I'm sure with my height and size a thrift shop would not have anything for me.
Quit worrying about this and just don't go. It's already exhausting just listening to you fret.
Koale

Old 05-30-2015, 02:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Only other suggestion....Do you have thrift stores you can search for white clothes? I would either do the best you can while remaining in your budget, or just don't go. To me it seems like you dwell too much on non-essential things...This party is not a life and death situation.....life goes on. Try not to make this a big deal and stress over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships