Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

At our office, people are often referred to as "resources." If another team member's assistance is needed, instead of referring to that person by name, a lot of people just refer to that other person as another resource.

I find this dehumanizing and impersonal, and do not like being referred to as simply a resource. Do you have problems with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Nope. Jeez. @@

Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Well, here's the problem with language changes and attempts at political correctness and enhanced sensitivity. The term "human resources" (to refer to the department in a company that handles employees) was invented to replace "the personnel office" because it was supposedly more positive, humanizing, and it recognized that people/employees are valuable assets to a company. Now we have people (like the OP) who see the term as insulting, so I'm sure it will eventually change to something else, supposedly more positive, that will then be viewed as negative a few years later.

On a one-on-one level, yes, I have heard people refer to me as a great resource for this or that. No, I take it as a compliment and not dehumanizing. I might hear "TracySam is a great resource for any information about healthcare privacy" or "TracySam, you're an excellent resource for educating therapists about professional ethics." Those are compliments. People often contact me because some other respected professional identified me as a useful resource. How can that be dehumanizing? They aren't "using" me and they always thank me for my help. Plus they talk about me as a good "resource" and add to my professional reputation, and that also helps me in my career.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,375 times
Actually, just the opposite...I would consider it a compliment that someone thought of me as a "resource"--especially in an office environment. It would make me feel that others thought that I am an intelligent hard working employee who people rely on to come for help when they need answers.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:56 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I do tend to think that "Human Resources" instead of "Personnel" is on the same plane as "Sanitation Engineer" instead of "Garbage Collector." But I can't say it's ever really bothered me to be called a "resource." After all, a "resource" is something that can be used to make something desirable, so I suppose being considered a "resource" is a compliment.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Actually, just the opposite...I would consider it a compliment that someone thought of me as a "resource"--especially in an office environment. It would make me feel that others thought that I am an intelligent hard working employee who people rely on to come for help when they need answers.
Agree with this ^, it it implies my skills are useful.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Meh, sounds like something I'd make fun of at lunch with my coworkers.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:25 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
It sounds like something I wouldn't give a second thought to.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, here's the problem with language changes and attempts at political correctness and enhanced sensitivity. The term "human resources" (to refer to the department in a company that handles employees) was invented to replace "the personnel office" because it was supposedly more positive, humanizing, and it recognized that people/employees are valuable assets to a company. Now we have people (like the OP) who see the term as insulting, so I'm sure it will eventually change to something else, supposedly more positive, that will then be viewed as negative a few years later.

On a one-on-one level, yes, I have heard people refer to me as a great resource for this or that. No, I take it as a compliment and not dehumanizing. I might hear "TracySam is a great resource for any information about healthcare privacy" or "TracySam, you're an excellent resource for educating therapists about professional ethics." Those are compliments. People often contact me because some other respected professional identified me as a useful resource. How can that be dehumanizing? They aren't "using" me and they always thank me for my help. Plus they talk about me as a good "resource" and add to my professional reputation, and that also helps me in my career.
We were personnel when I started. Then we became human resources.

Now we have changed to "human capital". I laughed when I heard it.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
No. Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships