Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 AM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times

Advertisements

No good deed goes unpunished...

I have an 89 year old neighbor that everyone calls the mayor... he goes for early morning walks each day... will toss the paper from the drive to the porch... puts away garbage cans... waters, rakes, etc...

We have new neighbors that freaked out about this... they heard someone moving their 3 garbage cans... said he has been doing over 50 years.

Speaking of garbage... he knows all the route guys by name and if you ever have a little extra... just a word from him and it is taken care of... same thing with package delivery.

All of us feel fortunate to have someone looking out for the neighborhood... even if a suspicious car shows up... he has the license plate, date and time.

Mom is the same way... she has a very nice yard and also walks several times a day... she will stop and pull weeds when on her walks.

Bottom line it is you property and for whatever reason you can put a stop to it... may take a while because old habits are hard to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
They are common here in WI. There is a valve in the basement ceiling for each faucet. I usually shut them off each winter, then drain the remaining water in the faucet out. I suspect that it's probably a northern US thing.
Never seen one in the SF Bay Area part of California and I have managed a lot of rentals over the years...

Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,355,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
You didn't answer my question. If my yard was indeed an EYESORE, then why hasn't the city fined us to clean it up?? They fined our neighbors, but not us. Why???
It's in the mail.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:18 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,072,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I really wish my my neighbor would mind his own business. He is a nice old man, easily in his 80s, but very spry. I know he is well intended and bored, but I am the kind of person that doesn't like help. I like to do things in my own way and in my own time. I understand that he doesn't know this, but it is hard to explain anything to him, because he can barely hear.

He is always picking at our yard. I find it incredibly irritating, but it's not hurting anything so I let it slide. Most of the time he just rakes up leaves or picks up oranges, so no big deal. On occasion he will mow and if he is watering his yard he'll sprinkle some on ours too. I also find this irritating as we are capable of maintaining our own yard, but have to do it on weekends, so sometimes it gets a bit tall before we can get to it (never out of control!). But I try to be a big girl and let it go, because in reality, it's not hurting anything to let him do it.

Well a couple months ago we had a huge portion of our front yard dug up to replace our plumbing. It pretty much ruined all the grass and the majority of what grew back was weeds. My HUSBAND AND I decided to let it all die and later this summer we will kill what's left and reseed it. Already discussed this with a landscaper.

Well today I look outside and I see him watering, with our hose. I ignored him because he usually just does it for like 5 minutes then stops. We ate lunch, I picked up the house then peeked out the window because I was expecting someone and more than a half an hour later HE WAS STILL WATERING!!! I ran out and asked him what he was doing he said he threw down some seed and was watering it so it would start growing ! This made me completely furious (on the inside, I was calm with him). I tried to explain that what he was doing was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are trying to do and he was just like "oh okay" and stood there. I turned the water off and went back in.

Ugh! Our yard is a huge muddy mess. He wasted sooo much water which makes me angry in itself, because that costs us money and I try to be conscious on water usage! He PUT SEED DOWN! I know he thinks he's helping, but this is going too far!
Long story short, you talked to the landscaper about the plan, but you didn't tell your neighbor. So the both of you have some communication issues. And the fact that you "let him slide" so many times, he thought it would be okay to make your lawn less ugly.

I don't see what the problem is. Sounds to me like you have been holding it in for a long time and just blew up.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM

22,355 posts, read 11,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I've never heard of such a valve. In what part of the US are these common?
Well...having lived in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, I can say that houses have them in those areas.

Not only that, but the pipes can be bled where the valves are. It's important to bleed the valves before the first frost sets in. Perhaps that's the reason such valves are not seen in areas where the temps never dip below freezing?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Right, don't care about others, especially the vulnerable aged/hard of hearing/cognitively impaired. Charming.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
Um, I really don't think that's what he meant. Is it acceptable for an aged, hard of hearing, or cognitively impaired person to re-do his neighbor's yard? Not really.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Long story short, you talked to the landscaper about the plan, but you didn't tell your neighbor. So the both of you have some communication issues. And the fact that you "let him slide" so many times, he thought it would be okay to make your lawn less ugly.

I don't see what the problem is. Sounds to me like you have been holding it in for a long time and just blew up.
WHY would she need to let the neighbor know her plans for her own yard??

Old 06-08-2015, 06:10 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,072,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Read her original post then come back.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Read her original post then come back.
I've been here. She doesn't owe the neighbor an explanation. It is her yard not his.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:53 PM

16,011 posts, read 21,025,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Consideration for others?
the Op may not care about what her neighbors do with their yards, she may think her own is not a problem. Others may look at the neighborhood as a whole and any problem with any yard is an issue for them.
As OP is planning on selling the house she may soon be on the side of those who consider how the neighborhood looks as a whole, because that is what her potential buyers will do.

I also think Op is getting too worked up over a single word, 'eyesore' which is in the eye of the beholder. For a lot of homeowners anything that is not well groomed and cared for is an eyesore, that includes weeds, bare spots, untrimmed hedges, tacky yard ornaments, vegetable gardens in the front lawn, cars parked on lawns, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships