Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times

Advertisements

When people tell me not to get "stressed out" I think they mean well and are concerned about me and I am reminded that I can do it..for myself, for my family and for my good friends.

Best of luck in your new home and I really do hope all goes well for you in all the tasks you have to plan, and finish before you can really relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
Yes, you're under a lot of stress! I hope that it passes quickly.

My tip: try to compartmentalize the stress. When I was selling my house and moving, I had specific "quitting times" each day, as early after dinner as I could make them. I tried to leave at least an hour before bedtime. During that period, I would sit quietly and go over my lists, and then I would watch a funny TV show that I had on tape or read something funny that would make me laugh. If I started stressing about anything, I'd tell myself, "I'm on break. I will worry about X tomorrow at 9:00 am" (or whatever my start time was.

If I woke up at night in a panic, same thing. Over time, I trained my mind to settle down. Keeping lists helped to keep me on track. It also helped me to break these huge projects into smaller chunks. It's a marathon, not a sprint! Knowing that helped keep me patient.

Good luck with your move and getting settled!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:29 AM

8,246 posts, read 8,596,826 times
I wasn't stressed by a cross country move. I did it the easy way. Sold everything and just drove out in the car. I was looking forward to buying all new stuff.

For most people it would be stressful. Plan what you can, accept what you can't, and do whatever works for you. Some people work well under stress.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,972,508 times
It is stressful! I would probably give each person who told me not to stress a task. "Yeah, I'll get through it, but it would be really helpful if you could take the kids for ice cream so I can finish XXX." Something along those lines. That should get them to either actually be helpful or will shut them up.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 PM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Just tell them it's easier said then done and ask them if they'll help you pack. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
You need to get a t-shirt that says "Don't tell me NOT TO STRESS!!". I hate it when people do that. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,157,140 times
HFB, I completely get that! Platitudes can be very annoying. Hope all goes well

Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,224,411 times
Ask them for tangible help.

Say, Gee I am stressed out, can you come help me move/lend me money to pay for it?

They will vanish like snow in the sun.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:29 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,122,607 times
I moved across several states 3 years ago and it was Stressful with a capital S. Heck, last week I moved 20 miles and closed on a house and that was stressful. Stress is OK. It provides the additional energy that is needed to make those 47 phone calls or pack 50 boxes. You know that you are going through a transition, and it will be over soon so it's not like you are stressing over nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
When people tell me not to get "stressed out" I think they mean well and are concerned about me and I am reminded that I can do it..for myself, for my family and for my good friends.
^^ I think this is true. People mean well and just didn't like to see me all hyper. lol Those that knew me best and understood (because they had been through it themselves) gave me a bottle of wine. Anyone who has been there remembers feeling exactly how you are feeling, so give yourself permission to feel stressed. Then you can figure out to make yourself feel better. Denial never served anyone.

Meemur has a good point about compartmentalizing the stress. When I moved, I made a list of tasks to accomplish for each day, and then each evening I tried to take at least an hour to chill in front of the TV, have a glass of wine or a snack and just let my brain unwind.

Good luck with your move! I hope you enjoy your new house and get settled in quickly.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am normally a bubbly talkative person, outgoing and relaxed. But over the next week I am moving cross country, closing on a house...moving dogs, kids, house. I'm stressed. I'm quiet. I have a slight scowl on my face, you can see the tension. I'm a bit more short.

And it feels like everyone is telling me "don't stress", "relax", "everything is fine, don't be stressed". It's really annoying me. I am not running around screaming or acting totally like a b****. I'm just not my normal me. Why do people say that? Why can't they just freaking validate that this is stressful and I am holding together just fine.

Ugh. I'd be insane not to be stressed out. Who wouldn't be stressed?

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
It's always very annoying when people tell you how you should act when they're not in a particular situation.

That being said are you announcing to the world that you're moving? Posting updates on FB?

I find in stressful times it's best to go low contact, the less people asking questions the better. Don't answer the phone, have time to yourself, etc.

The less people you tell your business to, the less questions/comments you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships