Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you drop your child in that same scenario as the movie
No, he's still my child even if he tried to kill me 3 23.08%
Yes, very hard decision but I would do it 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times

Advertisements

Even though a mother's love is generally (afterwards there are exceptions to any rule but in general) the strongest ever, after watching the movie ''The Good Son'', this made me think hard that there is indeed a limit if crossed to the extreme.

Briefly explaining how it ended (off course this is an extreme situation): A mother's 10-12 year-old son just admitted to drowning his little brother (her other child), feels no remorse whatsoever and shortly tries to kill her by dropping her off the cliff. Her nephew by marriage intervenes and both boys start fighting. During the turn of events, the woman holds both boys as they're hanging from the cliff. However, the woman can't save both of them and surprisingly (but a very hard decision) she chooses her nephew and drops her son.

Would you say the woman was justified in making that choice? If that was the case and only could save one child, would that be something you would have done or still find it hard to drop your child even though he's evil and tried to kill you while the other one who isn't your child is the innocent kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOkEIauqna4

Last edited by Laychick; 06-07-2015 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:38 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Well, this is quite extreme!

Just because she dropped him doesn't mean she didn't love him. I'm sure if he was the only one hanging she would have saved him, but then turned him in. Since there were two hanging, she did what she knew was right even though it was a hard decision, which I think the actress conveyed pretty well.

Serial killers, rapists, pedophiles all have families, some even come from very loving families. The parents and siblings of these people still love them, they just don't like who they are or what they've done. I remember seeing a man on Oprah years ago who's son was living a fake life, pretending to be in college, and plotted to kill his entire family. The brother and mother died, but the father survived. He forgave his son and visits him in prison regularly. Parental love is strong, even when the child is severely ill and does horrendous things.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
That's a little extreme, it's a horror movie/thriller and the kid was a psychopath. I agree though letting him drop doesn't mean she didn't love him, in fact if she hesitated even for a second to me that's proof she did still love him.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:49 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
I can't answer that. I do watch some movies which would be considered thrillers and have disturbing content. I can remove myself from them and therefore it doesn't bother me as much. To be questioned as to what I would do in a situation which involves children of my own and has anything to do with what that movie was about is too much for me to think about.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Love doesnt mean letting them get away with everything

Old 06-07-2015, 07:54 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Oh man, Spoiler Alert!

()

Old 06-07-2015, 10:24 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Serial killers, rapists, pedophiles all have families, some even come from very loving families. The parents and siblings of these people still love them, they just don't like who they are or what they've done.
Very true. I was amazed how even Ted Bundy's mother was in complete denial (even with all the evidence) and kept saying how her monster of a child doesn't rape nor murders innocent women and little girls. Even when he actually confessed it all, she still told him how he'll always be her precious son. As a sister of a teenaged brother, I would be beyond disgusted to still call him my brother if he killed (not in self-defense) or raped someone.

The book's ending version is a bit more completed. In the book it's a year later and she visits her son's grave, telling her nephew that she loved and still loves him even though she made that choice.

LoriBee62 oops...

Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
She didn't kill her kid.
She had to pick between two kids.
One (yes, hers) would bring nothing but pain/evil to the world.
The other not so much.

I dunno. I think you can be brought to change if something goes far enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships