Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,312,116 times

Advertisements

I strongly believe I attract people who like to talk. It's been that way since I was a teen. Random people (usually other women) start telling me details of their lives. I pretend to be interested by saying, "Oh, that's nice!" or "I'm sorry to hear that!". In actuality, I don't care.

I was sitting in my car waiting for my take-out order and this lady parks next to me. She then tries to get my attention by waving her arms around. I roll down my window to see what she wants and she starts telling me about her parents and in-laws who are in assisted living facilities and how they have dementia and blah, blah, blah... This happens regularly.

Does anyone else have stories of when strangers share details of their lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,122,812 times
LOL. Yes this happens to me all the time. I was in Walmart last week and an older guy came up and started talking. First about raccoons and garbage (I was buying a garbage toter). But then he progressed into how his grandson just graduated and was having trouble finding a job, his daughter who lives with him, where he and wife used to live in the Midwest, etc. I didn't really mind because it was my day off and I wasn't in a huge hurry. Finally his daughter showed up and hauled him away. But, yep, happens to me a lot. With me, it's older folks of either gender.

Last edited by Fiona13; 06-10-2015 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,770,674 times
Holy crap, YES. I get this all the time, too. I was in the book section of a store and a woman came up next to me and started talking about this cookbook... and then started telling me about her health issues. It got to the point where she was describing how many bowel movements she had a day when my husband walked up. He heard a snippet of this and kind of looked at me like, "Whaaaaat's happening?" I just have one of those faces that makes people want to share things. Apparently you, Pinkmani, and Fiona13 also do! Lucky us!

I don't mind it usually since I realize a lot of folks are just kind of lonely and need someone to connect with. Sometimes I'm a crabass, though, and don't feel like taking on others' problems. (Usually my face shows this, though, I've been told! Open book.)

Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
How can you take on other's problems when it is a brief chat in a bookstore or the market?
It isn't like you exchange numbers and become best friends instantly, once you leave they are gone as well.

I get talked to all the time and I spend a couple minutes then tell them it was nice chatting with them and get back to the task at hand and my day.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,499,902 times
Occasionally...and much more than I care to know about a complete strangers life; like the time I'm on the make up isle in the CVS, a well dressed professional looking gentleman asked me what depilatories are best for his legs and how he started cross dressing in his moms clothes at a younger age.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,141,541 times
All the time. I try to be nice and then I find my exit. I attract people that feel I am a therapist lol.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,096,782 times
This occasionally happens to me while out shopping -- but not near as often as it seems to affect the other posters

I think if I was one of those very approachable or compassionate looking people for whom this is a frequent problem, I'd make up a list of counseling resources in the area and keep it handy to give out to people.

Oftentimes referring someone to professional counseling instead of dealing awkwardly with their outlandish problems is both the compassionate and effective thing to do for them

Old 06-10-2015, 11:33 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How can you take on other's problems when it is a brief chat in a bookstore or the market?
It isn't like you exchange numbers and become best friends instantly, once you leave they are gone as well.

I get talked to all the time and I spend a couple minutes then tell them it was nice chatting with them and get back to the task at hand and my day.

Well, I didn't mean that I offer to fix their life or anything. I have chronic pain issues and sometimes just standing there, listening, is a bit much. But I don't believe in being rude just because I'm having a bad day. For instance, this past week I had such pain that I could hardly breathe. Just getting through a day was a struggle. So if someone wanted to stand next to me and tell me their life history, it would have been taking on their problems, in a manner of speaking. In that case, I might be less inclined to chat. But any other time, I'm just fine with it. I like it.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:50 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,286,411 times
I've talked to these types of people. They either need therapy or a divorce.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,201,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I strongly believe I attract people who like to talk. It's been that way since I was a teen. Random people (usually other women) start telling me details of their lives. I pretend to be interested by saying, "Oh, that's nice!" or "I'm sorry to hear that!". In actuality, I don't care.

I was sitting in my car waiting for my take-out order and this lady parks next to me. She then tries to get my attention by waving her arms around. I roll down my window to see what she wants and she starts telling me about her parents and in-laws who are in assisted living facilities and how they have dementia and blah, blah, blah... This happens regularly.

Does anyone else have stories of when strangers share details of their lives?
Happens to me also. I have a kind, soft, approachable face and expression. Lures them in like flies when you least expect it. One moment you are concentrating intently on which brand of hot sauce to buy, and 5 minutes later you realize the stranger next to you just walked up and told you their entire life story, and you think to yourself "how did this happen?" Lol I suppose we have an energy that attracts people and makes us more approachable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships