Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times

Advertisements

I am not one of those people who can fake an emotion, or show a poker face. I do not like dogs. At least most of them. Especially Chihuahuas. IMO, they are simply fugly little rat dogs. I am a cat person.

My friend has like 3 fugly dogs, and luckily she keeps them outside for the most part. But one of them comes in and the other friends like him and call him up to their laps and he crawls across mine or tries to sit on mine, and I am always pushing him off me or kicking him off from licking my toes (I don't literally kick him, but want to) and I guess I make a twisted up face as well. Oooops.

She seems very hurt by it, as if I just kicked or made a face at her kid. I don't want to hurt her feelings. Should I start faking like I like her dog or at least tolerate it, or should she accept I don't like dogs and get over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
I respect my friends that aren't too fond of dogs to not allow them jump all over them and lick their faces,

Not to sound mean, I'd say get over it when a dog wants to lick your toes. Little dogs by nature are usually cuddly furballs.

Maybe next time play fetch with the dog then it won't be walking all over you.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 06-12-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
You don't have to like her dogs, but if you are in her home, yes, you have to tolerate them. Wear shoes.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:22 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Really, you want to kick the dog? That's messed up.

You don't have to be a cat or dog lover to treat an animal with compassion. If the dog crawls up on your lap, pick it up, and set it down or gently move it off. If its licking your toes push him away gently, put on shoes, or ask to put the dog outside because licking your toes creeps you out. Imagine if your friend came over and wanted to kick your cat.

I generally think the way people treat animals is a sign of their character.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:22 AM

130 posts, read 160,349 times
A lot of dog people completely cannot comprehend that there are those who do not like dogs. They assume it is no big deal and to just suck it up and interact with the dog. Instead of putting the dog away, they say things like "It's okay. She's really friendly!!" When you find yourself faced with such a dog owner, meet them somewhere other than their home to hang out. Problem solved.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am not one of those people who can fake an emotion, or show a poker face. I do not like dogs. At least most of them. Especially Chihuahuas. IMO, they are simply fugly little rat dogs. I am a cat person.

My friend has like 3 fugly dogs, and luckily she keeps them outside for the most part. But one of them comes in and the other friends like him and call him up to their laps and he crawls across mine or tries to sit on mine, and I am always pushing him off me or kicking him off from licking my toes (I don't literally kick him, but want to) and I guess I make a twisted up face as well. Oooops.

She seems very hurt by it, as if I just kicked or made a face at her kid. I don't want to hurt her feelings. Should I start faking like I like her dog or at least tolerate it, or should she accept I don't like dogs and get over it?

This is very easily solved. Meet her for lunch at a restaurant, or go for coffee, or a movie. Don't go to her house.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Cats are evil.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I forgot to mention that yes, I would probably be hurt and offended too if someone wanted to kick my cat, or made a face at my cat, or didn't think my cat was the cutest thing in the world. So I do understand where she's coming from, it's just going to be hard for me to nice to the dog.

Not meeting her in her home is not an option right now, we meet for a community group weekly.

But p.s., I don't kick dogs. There is a big difference between thinking of it and doing it, imo.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:28 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
^^^^^^^What he said.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
I detest cats, but I have the good sense to keep my opinion to myself around any friend who as one of those things. If they get near me, I plead "allergy" and move away. Anyone who would even think about kicking an animal isn't anyone I'd want as a friend. Perhaps your friend will wise up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships