Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:45 PM

22,172 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My good friend always sees the positive in me. I really appreciate that.
yes, i like this answer best

trustworthy
kind
listens
doesn't tell me what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
However I do not put up with drama queens or kings though. I won't listen to a person's petty BS.
Too many people tell themselves they need a friend when what they really want is an audience for the Broadway run of "My Life Sucks: A Play in 3 Acts."

I'm with you: They can take their sad parade of bad life decisions and righteous indignation and keep moving it down the road. I'm too old to listen to people who will never grow up.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
My closest dearest friends are trustworthy, genuine, there's mutual respect, can tell each other anything but have healthy boundaries at the same time.

My dearest friends we are there for each other at a moments notice. You'll know who your close friends are if you are ever going through a tough time, they're right there for you.

Just recently one of closest friends sent me a very brief kinda small talk email - this is not like her to make small talk with me. I felt like she was stressed so I called and sure enough something serious at the time, everything is ok now. I said to her you're one of my closest friends I'm here for you.

A close dear lifelong friend is a special gift

Old 06-14-2015, 09:27 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,559 times
Some really beautiful postings shared!

I thought this would be a nice uplifting post to make folks take their minds off some of the craziness in the world and which sometimes gets in the way of appreciating and being grateful for positive things--like good friends.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:38 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Actually I am quite loyal. People know I will be there when needed. However I do not put up with drama queens or kings though. I won't listen to a person's petty BS. I've seen enough people die to know what is important and it never has to do with who they are dating or their job. You control your situation and do what has to be done or I wouldn't even want you as an acquaintance. For the small **** you man up and take care of it yourself.

I have a feeling most of you are fairweather friends. If your friends son in law cheats on his wife or beats her would you grab your bat and come with us? I doubt it. You will give a shoulder to cry on but when it gets down to doing what has to be done, I bet you disappear.
Grab our bats? I assume you mean that literally. No, im not a vigilante. You go on ahead and get that assault charge. Im staying put.

Id never tell any of my friends to quit being a baby even if id seen thousands of people die. being a friend is important, not man-ing up. Who needs friends if youre just going to tell them to grow the heck up and deal?

Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Too many people tell themselves they need a friend when what they really want is an audience for the Broadway run of "My Life Sucks: A Play in 3 Acts."

I'm with you: They can take their sad parade of bad life decisions and righteous indignation and keep moving it down the road. I'm too old to listen to people who will never grow up.
You sound quite cynical about people in general.

Quote:
Actually I am quite loyal. People know I will be there when needed. However I do not put up with drama queens or kings though. I won't listen to a person's petty BS. I've seen enough people die to know what is important and it never has to do with who they are dating or their job. You control your situation and do what has to be done or I wouldn't even want you as an acquaintance. For the small **** you man up and take care of it yourself.

I have a feeling most of you are fairweather friends. If your friends son in law cheats on his wife or beats her would you grab your bat and come with us? I doubt it. You will give a shoulder to cry on but when it gets down to doing what has to be done, I bet you disappear.
So I guess doing the sensible thing and getting law enforcement involved in that situation instead of catching a case yourself makes you a fairweather friend?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,559 times
(....and the "grab your bat" comment is some of the "craziness in the world" I am talking about.)

Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You sound quite cynical about people in general.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

One of our long-time friends recently returned from a two-week working trip to a research facility near the North Pole. It was an amazing experience. As soon as he got back, his parents took him aside and gave him the bad news: His father, suddenly and unexpectedly, only has a few months left to live. Imagine how this rocked our friend and his family. Us too -- his dad is one of the kindest people I have ever met.

Contrast that with the last person who wanted to suck me into her life. Two hours of complaints every week about how suspicious her husband is, interspersed with lurid details about how she's cheating on him. Let's see if I have this straight: Your husband suspects you're cheating on him, you actually are cheating on him, and that makes him a bad person. Gotcha. Please go away.

I am cynical about people whose problems are self-manufactured.

I am supportive and empathetic with decent, loyal people to whom terrible things happen.

There are all kinds of people in the world. Some are not worth wasting energy on.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Accepts my quirks without judging (or without letting any judgement show). I grant him the same.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:02 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Listener
Wise
Trustworthy
Not broke
Godly

ETA: Basically, an older lady in her 40s or 50s and I'm 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships