Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,826,388 times

Advertisements

Sounds bad but it really is beautiful. A pocket of Tuscany on the edge of the plains but not without it's perils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,701,135 times
Default The tabulation

Thanks for all our responses! They were very thought-provoking.The results were:

The "introverted, selfish people" who don't like overnighters: 42%

The "shmoos" who love overnighters: 35%

The "expansionists " who are building or have built outbuildings, casitas or trailers to house guests:9%

The miscellaneous commenters:11%

Ironically , the guest who started all this decided to leave a day/night earlier than planned when she realized what a long drive she would have so I got my living room and bath back AND she doesn't think she'll make the trip again because of the distance! (We'll probably meet in SF.) Everyone else stays at a B&B so the problem is eliminated. THANKS ALL!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,121,040 times
I don't after my last experience and honestly don't look forward to having any in the future. I was going crazy trying to get my house and food ready for about 15 people for Thanksgiving dinner. My sister calls me and tells me that my brother, his wife, his toddler son and his mother-in-law were coming from China and they didn't even ask me! He told my sis they were going to stay at my house! I had 2 usable bedrooms, which hadn't been prepared for guests since I found this out the day before Thanksgiving. I ran out to buy new linens and try to clean the best I could. My son's room wasn't "good enough" for the MIL, so all 4 of them slept in my room and they almost left at midnight over me not having a room for her to sleep in.

I'll never allow someone to invite themselves to my house again or at least without a month notice. I'm not a Suzy Homemaker type and only thoroughly clean the rooms that will be used. He's a brother that picks and chooses when he wants to be a part of the family, so he can go pound salt the next time he plans a visit to the US.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 5,829,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It depends on who it is, some people are fun to have around and others are like fish - begin to smell after three days.
My uncle used to say that and it is true!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:51 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Or am I just becoming an old grump?
Yes.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:53 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,663,999 times
All the time is stressful but once in a while can be pretty fun. It would suck if no one ever came over. I see the same way as going out and hanging out with someone. All the time would be too much, but in moderation is pretty fun. Try being social people, you only have one life for Christ's sake. Then you will be forever alone in death!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM

106 posts, read 87,658 times
Me and my wife have house guests at our apartment. She has her sister and her friends over. I have a few friends over sometimes.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:23 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,866 times
I enjoy house guests.. but understand those who do not. Some folks can only be tolerated for a few hours at a time, much less overnight.

Years ago i spent many nights at a dear friends home in Northern, Ohio.. almost every time i was in town. I have been able to repay their hospitality a few times over the years and look forward to many more.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 PM

3,752 posts, read 5,829,934 times
When my daughter was younger ( from birth to about highschool, my inlaws would come and stay for 2 weeks, two times a year. We do have a big house 4br, 3br, and 3 living areas. They would try to help as much as they could with cooking, cleaning, pruning, and did help in buying groceries. I do understand that they wanted to be around my daughter and see her grow up . However, the 2 weeks was a bit much, IMHO. As I said, while they were helpful, I really felt our privacy was compromised. I like to go around the house without much clothes and do what I want to do rather than having to compromise with them. Anyway, they are both gone now and I suppose for my daughter's sake, it was worth it. I am just glad that those days are over.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,382,291 times
Tell your friend you expect a bed-bug-remover's visit in a couple of days after her arrival. She'll find a place to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships