Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 PM

780 posts, read 678,600 times

Advertisements

My co-worker REALLY loves having people around. She's single and she truly enjoys having people over. She even signed up as a couch surfer host. That's how much she enjoys having people over.

How about you say, "My place isn't available for anyone at the moment due to things I'm working on. Let me help you find the best hotel to stay at while you're here."

Or better yet, look for the hotels for her, give them option A, B, and C (at most), present it and say, "I can't have guests staying over at my place right now, so I looked at hotels for you were you can stay at..." If she ask why not, they're cool with everything, just say "It's not available." and continue the conversation about the hotel and ask, "Which one do you find more appealing for you?"

That's as blatant as I can think of without just being all out, "I don't want you in my place."

When she visits again, say the same line. She'll eventually get the hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
I don't generally mind houseguests of a week or less but I'm just a complete no on couch surfing. If I don't have a bed and a door that they can close, it won't happen. Late sleepers or early-to-bedders hold up the household with everyone tiptoeing around and their stuff just lies about. I don't mind sharing the bath as much as long as it's not too many people.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Not me. I don't stay with others and they don't stay with me.

With all of the luxury hotels out there why would anyone want to stay in someone's home?

I had 2 people come to visit me. They got a suite. They weren't about to share a bedroom and a bathroom let alone stay in someone's home.

I was raised that there is nothing cheaper than staying with someone. I still think that way.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I HATE it.

Hubby always invites MIL to come and stay the night, even though she only lives 45 mins away.

It upsets me, my home and my pets when someone spends the night here, especially if it's several days in a row.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
We (myself + wife) like having house guests. We have a 3 bed/3bath and no kids.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:47 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
I love having friends stay even though I live in a small cabin and have an outhouse hahahha. This thread cracks me up. Wait until all your friends and family live 4000 miles away. Then you would be happy to spend every single, possible moment with them. And luckily enough, the ones who have managed to come all the way here, are adventurous enough to stay here.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I don't like houseguests at all. Ours is a small house and, while we have a spare room, we have only one bathroom. I guess I don't like having guests around me every minute, as I am really not a people person. My husband's different - he don't mind it; in fact, I know that I'm too introverted for him (but he accepts it).

Surprisingly, though, I do not find anything wrong with people inviting themselves as long as it's presented as a question and not an established plan. I do not appreciate someone calling to tell me that they'll show up on such-n-such date with airfare already bought (my brother did this a few years ago). Instead, work with me so that it doesn't intrude on plans of my own. Self-invitations is better than showing up at my door unannounced - and THAT would cause a riff.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:12 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
I hate it, hate it. I don't do it.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I have lots of friends who love houseguests.

I am not one of those people, despite having 4700 sq ft and 5 bathrooms. There's just something about always having to be "on" that bugs me. So now all the bedrooms are something - master, kids' rooms, playroom, and gym. Despite that, we have in-laws crashing on our couch quite often. Family doesn't bother me as much.

I only enjoy being a guest if I can have some if my own space.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 AM

813 posts, read 1,272,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I live in a typical 3/2 house and one of the bedrooms is used as an office. I used to use one of the BRs as a guest room but since I've retired I'm renting the extra room and bath and I really enjoy the extra income. The last few times I've had visitors they just got a B&B and we had a lovely visit. The friend who's coming this weekend has more money than God but wants to sleep on my sofa. I HATE people sleeping in my living room, there's no way to hide the mess, plus I don't like sharing a bathroom. Is there any clever witty way to tell her she should get a hotel from now on?? Or am I just becoming an old grump? Your input very much appreciated.

This person is coming this weekend and already has the ok from you to stay with them, so it is a little late to ask them to pay for a hotel or B&B now. For the next visit, you could suggest the B&B down the road, and explain that you've had your other visitors stay there and rave about how great it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships