Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,481 times

Advertisements

I don't mind, as long as it's not the same people and not often. I'm introverted, selfish, and I don't like the inconvenience. For some reason, some people act like that's a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
I like the company, but I hate the thought of what to cook for them. I'm only good at cooking recipes and can't whip up dishes like those in a Chopped episode. It takes a lot of planning on my part. Otherwise, when the guests leave, I always feel a little empty as their company was very welcomed.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Actually it is a little selfish. You don't want to be inconvenienced, you don't want to make meals, you don't want to change sheets, rearrange your schedule, be "on" all the time, etc. You can hem-haw all you want and come up with excuses about how a hotel is an easier, more reasonable option, but if you're really honest with yourself, then YES- selfishness absolutely does come into play.

So what if you're uncomfortable for a few days? There's more to life than living in your perfect bubble or cocoon all the time!
But what exactly is the point of everyone being uncomfortable? Doesn't that kind of go against the point of visiting? To have a good time?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Another time in April...we had our old neighbors of 20 years stop by on the way back from Myrtle Beach.. with two teenagers...THE FIRST thing they asked was WHAT'S your internet password so I let them have it.. I mean they are on vacation...how much are they going to be on their phones...WROOOOONG...we don't have unlimited AND I TOLD THEM THAT...

So, they are checking their Verizon data and are all up in arms about that because the girls are burning it up at the speed of sound..I hear them on the phone with Verizon complaining about how much they have used.....so now I am getting nervous and checked my Internet data plan which we get 10 Gb a month...THEY USED 6 GB IN TWO DAYS.....I told them...hey you can't keep watching you tube and face timing.. my new month just started on the 3rd and the 6GB was used by the 9th.....the parents did NOTHING to reinforce what I said..even the MOM was posting videos to Facebook.... which I saw when they left..nothing of any importance.. just crap sayings... I WAS LIVID...If someone told me that they had only a small amount, I wouldn't even get on...most time I go somewhere I get back to 573 emails...all junk..cause I never even checked...Anyway, we fed them the whole time BBQ and stuff.. and I had asked them to bring me 3 12 packs of Diet Vernors that I cannot seem to find in Tennessee... so after everything...EVERYTHING...she asked my husband for the $10 for the pop.....They can stay somewhere else next time...lesson learned....

And since this looks like it may be the NEW BATES MOTEL for travelers going south, which we LOVE with most people, Mi Casa Su Casa.....we are going to have to black ball these two families...
Why didn't you just turn off the WiFi?
Or change the password?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:

This thread sounds like a bunch of introverted, selfish people not wanting to sacrifice their precious time or space for people that are coming through and want to see them...sad. How about you think about someone other than yourself for a change?

We love having houseguests, and will go out of our way to make sure they feel at home and welcome. It's just good hospitality and good manners!
So you are saying everyone in the world should be extroverts? Yeah, that's reasonable.

You might learn a thing or two about introverts by reading "Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" and get back to us.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain | 9780307352156 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Introverts like people, but are drained by constant interaction. They do better with shorter amounts of socializing and need alone time to recharge, whereas extroverts are charged up by constant interaction.

Introverts are behind most of the great inventions in the world, so have some respect. We were all created with different strengths and extroversion is not the default setting for humans.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 PM

I am an extrovert, but a highly overstimulated one who has to get the eff away from people from time to time.
Having a room with a bathroom to escape to is paramount to my sanity.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:58 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Another time in April...we had our old neighbors of 20 years stop by on the way back from Myrtle Beach.. with two teenagers...THE FIRST thing they asked was WHAT'S your internet password so I let them have it.. I mean they are on vacation...how much are they going to be on their phones...WROOOOONG...we don't have unlimited AND I TOLD THEM THAT...

So, they are checking their Verizon data and are all up in arms about that because the girls are burning it up at the speed of sound..I hear them on the phone with Verizon complaining about how much they have used.....so now I am getting nervous and checked my Internet data plan which we get 10 Gb a month...THEY USED 6 GB IN TWO DAYS.....I told them...hey you can't keep watching you tube and face timing.. my new month just started on the 3rd and the 6GB was used by the 9th.....the parents did NOTHING to reinforce what I said..even the MOM was posting videos to Facebook.... which I saw when they left..nothing of any importance.. just crap sayings... I WAS LIVID...If someone told me that they had only a small amount, I wouldn't even get on...most time I go somewhere I get back to 573 emails...all junk..cause I never even checked...Anyway, we fed them the whole time BBQ and stuff.. and I had asked them to bring me 3 12 packs of Diet Vernors that I cannot seem to find in Tennessee... so after everything...EVERYTHING...she asked my husband for the $10 for the pop.....They can stay somewhere else next time...lesson learned....

And since this looks like it may be the NEW BATES MOTEL for travelers going south, which we LOVE with most people, Mi Casa Su Casa.....we are going to have to black ball these two families...
I'd have changed that password soooooo fast . . . :-) Their teenagers -- they LIVE on their electronic devices, especially if they are in a strange place and the other option is interacting with strange adults. :-) On the other hand, if they are used to unlimited, they probably don't have any idea what their usage represents. I have unlimited -- and to be quite honest, I don't have a clue what my usage is. I'm a little confused though -- they called YOUR Verizon account to complain about usage?! THAT would have infuriated me!

Can't believe she charged you for the Vernors after all that. Politely, I would have said, "How much do I owe you for the Vernors?", expecting them to say, "Oh, no, not at all, don't worry about it!"

Some people don't get repeat invitations for a reason!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:00 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I'd have changed that password soooooo fast . . . :-) Their teenagers -- they LIVE on their electronic devices, especially if they are in a strange place and the other option is interacting with strange adults. :-) On the other hand, if they are used to unlimited, they probably don't have any idea what their usage represents. I have unlimited -- and to be quite honest, I don't have a clue what my usage is. I'm a little confused though -- they called YOUR Verizon account to complain about usage?! THAT would have infuriated me!

Can't believe she charged you for the Vernors after all that. Politely, I would have said, "How much do I owe you for the Vernors?", expecting them to say, "Oh, no, not at all, don't worry about it!"

Some people don't get repeat invitations for a reason!
Yep, they sound absolutely horrible!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Actually it is a little selfish. You don't want to be inconvenienced, you don't want to make meals, you don't want to change sheets, rearrange your schedule, be "on" all the time, etc. You can hem-haw all you want and come up with excuses about how a hotel is an easier, more reasonable option, but if you're really honest with yourself, then YES- selfishness absolutely does come into play.

So what if you're uncomfortable for a few days? There's more to life than living in your perfect bubble or cocoon all the time!

Fine - we'll be stopping by YOUR house in Illinois on our way to Chicago next month. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

BTW, there's a difference between being selfish and respecting your own needs.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I live in a typical 3/2 house and one of the bedrooms is used as an office. I used to use one of the BRs as a guest room but since I've retired I'm renting the extra room and bath and I really enjoy the extra income. The last few times I've had visitors they just got a B&B and we had a lovely visit. The friend who's coming this weekend has more money than God but wants to sleep on my sofa. I HATE people sleeping in my living room, there's no way to hide the mess, plus I don't like sharing a bathroom. Is there any clever witty way to tell her she should get a hotel from now on?? Or am I just becoming an old grump? Your input very much appreciated.
I absolutely detest having house guests. I will deal with it for brief periods of time depending on the closeness of our relationship and/or how much my wife wants them to stay, but to be quite honest I would prefer that nobody ever come to our house. It's our house, our sanctuary, and our own little private paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships