Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I used to be annoyed at these people before I stopped answering calls from unfamiliar numbers. If I don't recognize the entire number (not just the area code) I won't answer.
I pick up and then disconnect immediately sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM

563 posts, read 524,281 times
Default Straight forward approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I always answer my phone,
"Hello, this Kate..."

Solves any question.

I implemented your strategy today, with sort of mixed results, but I am so glad it works well for you. So far today, when the phone rings, I answer, "Hello, this is Kate", only to hear a confused silence. I did receive one call that said,"Oh, I think I have the wrong number." Of course, the phone rang as soon as I had just put if back in the charger. It was my dad. He wanted to know why I was answering my phone with the greeting, "Hello, this is Kate." I told him about you City Data post, regarding phone etiquette. He seemed to be relieved, that I was still the son he has always known, and not a new person named Kate. (Think Bruce Jenner) Not Kate, but Katelyn. Hmmm...

Old 06-23-2015, 02:16 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
I usually just say, "Michele Obama".

Old 06-23-2015, 04:09 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Something got lost on the way to daycare

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Am I the only person who is greatly peeved at individuals who call you and ask "who I am speaking to?" before even identifying themselves? I find the entire practice extremely rude (seriously, you're the one who called me!) and generally respond accordingly. Why do some people feel that this is appropriate? Is this actually seen as acceptable in some parts?
My two year old could answer in three "wanguages" better than most adults. For decades after the invention of the hand crank party line phone (we still have ours from the homestead) it was courtesy unexplained to identify who you were. I guess as the world got smaller we just assumed everyone else knew who we were.
Or we haven't been sent to the newest franchise: "Cell Phone Rehab".

Old 06-23-2015, 04:12 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Actually, people are ALSO not listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I'll never forget the time when, in my first job out of college, I answered the phone with "Company Name & Department, Hallouise speaking, how may I help you?"

The woman, who I soon found out was a nun, indicated that she'd like to engage the department's services. So I prepared to get her information, and asked for her name. She snapped at me:

"Well you didn't tell me YOUR name, why should I give you MINE??"

To this day (and it's been 20 years), I wish I had said something other than meekly and contritely giving her my name again. I know it's silly that I even still think about that.
That's the flip side of phone etiquette. All the time, after clearly stating at the first my name, the person asks "who is this". Their "bwain" actually wasn't tuned to listen to information coming in.

Warning, warning: GOOD INFO. INCOMING.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:38 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
I implemented your strategy today, with sort of mixed results, but I am so glad it works well for you. So far today, when the phone rings, I answer, "Hello, this is Kate", only to hear a confused silence. I did receive one call that said,"Oh, I think I have the wrong number." Of course, the phone rang as soon as I had just put if back in the charger. It was my dad. He wanted to know why I was answering my phone with the greeting, "Hello, this is Kate." I told him about you City Data post, regarding phone etiquette. He seemed to be relieved, that I was still the son he has always known, and not a new person named Kate. (Think Bruce Jenner) Not Kate, but Katelyn. Hmmm...
I'll rep you just for the droll factor! lol

Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Reminds me of Ernestine, "(snort) Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking? (snort, snort)".

Old 06-23-2015, 04:50 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Am I the only person who is greatly peeved at individuals who call you and ask "who I am speaking to?" before even identifying themselves? I find the entire practice extremely rude (seriously, you're the one who called me!) and generally respond accordingly. Why do some people feel that this is appropriate? Is this actually seen as acceptable in some parts?

No you are not. If they called you, it is up to they to identify themselves.

Also the correct question is "To whom am I speaking?" However, that is one not typically asked by the caller.

You are correct.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 PM

309 posts, read 367,239 times
I've never been able to resist, "Is this the person to whom I am speaking?"

Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I simply say "you called me -- who are you?" If they don't tell me, I hang up.

I simply hang up as there is no need in further conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships