Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times

Advertisements

^You have to "allow" people to follow you on facebook in your control panel, I generally keep my account as private as possible, so I don't allow anyone to "follow"...not that I can imagine anyone wanting to, I am pretty boring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^You have to "allow" people to follow you on facebook in your control panel, I generally keep my account as private as possible, so I don't allow anyone to "follow"...not that I can imagine anyone wanting to, I am pretty boring!
Thanks for that info. My account is private. I have to allow people to be "friends" to see what I post. Is there any way to know how many get what I share of the Friends that I have? Some never comment on anything nor do I receive anything from them after awhile. I would love to weed them out somehow. I read all the stuff in the help files but saw nothing about that.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
I see both.
I have a small group of people, relatives and friends I know well, and I don't accept friend requests from everyone. I belong to a few FB groups and sometimes commenting on posts there will result in others in the group sending me friend requests. I delete them. I don't see why someone I have never met but have enjoyed swapping kayak rigging tips with needs to see when I comment on my cousin's toddler's birthday party pictures.
Some of my FB friends have hundreds and a couple over a thousand friends. One is outspoken politically, another is a radio station DJ, a couple are in consumer sales related jobs and a couple are just gregarious. That's fine.
I am also on LinkedIn. When I get a FB friend request from someone I know professionally I send them a LinkedIn request and then delete their FB request. I don't mix work with FB.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
I have a personal facebook account (very small, for a few family members) and then a semi-public Facebook account, which is mostly for business and hobbies. Almost all of my FB friends in the semi-public account share the same business or hobbies.

Just this weekend I went on a splurge and added about 300 (three hundred!) new friends. If this keeps up, I'll have a thousand friends shortly! I just looked for people who had many of the same friends in common. If they have 10, 20, 40, 100, 200, 300 mutual friends, it's a guarantee that they are interesting to me and that we're like-minded in some way. I'm also getting a ton of friends requests, almost all seem to be recommended from Facebook, almost all have at least 10-20+ mutual friends.

It just snowballs from there.

It's weird to have that many friends, but since all I do is post about business and interests (not personal stuff), it's not a problem. I've "met" some really interesting people this way. Also, a lot of people overseas, from non-English speaking countries, that I suspect are not able to encounter as many people locally that share their interests, so they're thrilled to "meet" so many like-minded souls online!

Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
The only "friends" on my FB account are actually, well, FRIENDS of mine (or favorite family members). I care about them, and they care about me.

I do have a large number of photos on Facebook but that's because part of the way my family and I use Facebook is to share photos. We are a military family and between assignments and travel, we find ourselves in a lot of different places, so we share our lives via photos.

Nearly every year around Christmas, I print off the best photos and give each adult child a small photo album. That way, we all have photos to pass down through the generations.

I am a member of several private groups on Facebook - nothing weird, just an HOA/neighborhood group, an interior design group, and a group for people who have injured their Achilles tendons (I tore both of mine and BELIEVE ME, you need a support group to get through that experience!). I enjoy interacting on those groups with people who are casual acquaintances from all over the world.

I don't get political or engage in debates on Facebook. If people leave snide or negative public remarks on a post, I delete those remarks. I have "unfriended" a few people (a cousin and a former neighbor) because they insisted on being divisive and political and insulting of others' posts and "ain't nobody got time fo dat."

But hey, that's just me.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,559 times
I heard someone bragging at a recent get together that they have over 1,000 FB "friends". I think FB is used as a way to make some folks feel that they are more popular than they are. Especially so if they didn't feel they had many friends in school. It is used as an ego boost.

A "friend" to me is not just a number. It is someone who you keep in touch with and have more interaction with than just a striking a key. Don't believe me? Send out PM's to all your 1,000+ FB friends for your birthday party, wedding or other event. See how many RSVP you. And honestly, most people would not send out invites to all of them, because there are going to be people who they really do not want to come to their home and probably could not stand to be around for any length of time. Are they really "friends" in that case?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:16 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Thanks for that info. My account is private. I have to allow people to be "friends" to see what I post. Is there any way to know how many get what I share of the Friends that I have? Some never comment on anything nor do I receive anything from them after awhile. I would love to weed them out somehow. I read all the stuff in the help files but saw nothing about that.
If I look at my home page or profile or whatever it's called on FB (you click on your name rather than "home"), I see at upper right a button to update info and just to the right a button to view my activity log. In the same "activity log" button, to the right again is ... Actually, dots. Like dot dot dot. Click on that and I have the option to "view as". Click on that and I can see my profile and posts as friends do.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Quote:
At last check, I have 1,885 friends and 71 followers...
Then you write a lengthy treatise on Facebook, soliciting opinions.

1. Who cares what anyone else thinks about their Facebook?
2. Who cares whether your use of Facebook is "weird" or "acceptable?

Facebook is not the real world or remotely an actual representation of anyone's lives. It's often used as a tool to brag, "rub it in," or feign a great life when there really isn't such happiness.

Try having a real life with real people who care about you. Anyone with almost 2,000 "friends" is tallying up strangers to follow their Facebook. This strikes me as both pathetic and highly insecure. One friend in the real world is worth 10,000 non-entity "friends" on any social media site.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:16 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I just wish there was a politics filter.

I want to know about your new car, your kid, even what you had for supper. I don't care about your far left or far right politics. Or even your centrist politics.

Let's keep social media, social.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
The big question should be how Facebook uses their service to make money. Anyone that values their PRIVACY will avoid Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships