Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 PM

102,146 posts, read 107,459,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How about just not taking photos of people without their permission... problem solved and everyone has a good time.

Why do you have the need to take those photos? Are you happier making people uncomfortable?
This. Some people aren't photogenic. I thought group or party photo-taking died out after HS graduation, or at least, college. Only once in my adult life have I ever been at a party of gathering where someone wanted to take a photo. Is this still a thing? I think it died out for a reason. But...whatever.

Just be aware that these days, people's photos come under intellectual property rights, so people are entitled to control how and where their image is used, if it's to be used at all. So you do need to get permission from people, in this age of photos going viral, idiots posting their friends' photos on internet forums without their permission, etc. etc. Times have changed since the HS slumber party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,060,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
OK.........I never understand.....why are so many people unreasonably self conscious about having their photos taken at parties, and other get togethers?

OK, I understand if you have something significant that you don't want shown, like a scar, or even if you are dressed badly, or holding a drink, but the people I most often see who act like its a gun pointed at them instead of a camera, are mostly attractive and well dressed.

I mean.........lighten up and just have fun and stop acting like its the end of the world to have your photo taken.

Just to make it clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go overboard and get you pic taken 50 times with a bunch of selfies thrown in, but just a few photos here and there taken of you should NOT be treated like a root canal.

If you are that uncomfortable and don't want photos of yourself, work on your insecurity issues with a therapist or close friend/relative, and just DON'T ATTEND parties and other social functions in the first place.
The camera doesn't see as the human eye sees. And it can highlight features in an unpleasant way.

If the subject has gained weight, or is having a bad hair day, the photo freezes the image of the weight gain and/or the bad hair. People do like to control their images. It is especially fraught if the image will be posted on FB, ugly image or not. So, lots of us don't like to have our pictures taken.

However, it is best to allow some pics. You can't go through this life controlling every pic that is made of you. But I do sympathize with people who don't like to have their picture taken without their permission, or if they know the photographer purposely caught them with food in their mouths and is likely to post said pic for all the world to see.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,406,841 times
I simply don't like the way I look.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,124,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yeah, I've noticed, and frankly, I DON'T CARE that Facebook has emerged in the last 5 years, and I don't care nor do I intend to care that other people do. All of photography is supposed to be compromised because of it? To me--no. You do a little adjusting, like learning how to not "tag" someone, and move on with your life.

What's an incidental Facebook photo going to lead to, Martians abducting one's soul? This paranoia over a Facebook photo makes no logical sense. Again, while IN GENERAL I'm about respecting a person's feelings, sometimes people need to be told "get over it, you're being silly" and this is one of those times. To be all so skittish over a photo being on Facebook--it's STUPID, and people who feel that way need to be told how ridiculous they're being, especially if it means that the innocent shutter bugs now all of a sudden are having to walk all on eggshells to placate such foolishness. You have the right to your feelings, but in like manner I have the same right to tell you how silly I think you're being.

Was the event private? If so, then the "sponsor" of the event could stipulate whatever they wanted. If not--oh well, snap away. To go to a large event and then complain about ending up in photos incidentally is as illogical as it gets. It's right up there sunbathers laying out NEXT TO THE POOL and then becoming mad when a little water ends up being splashed on them from people, egads, ENJOYING THE POOL.

I think it IS the point, and what is also the point is that she was likely the only one there with that situation, and as regrettable as it is, it shouldn't dictate how everyone else lives. What, I'm supposed to go around and "poll" everyone at a large event about the suitability of taking photos at this LARGE and PUBLIC event? Please.

Actually what makes no logical sense is your refusal to do what others ask which is not take their photo.
All of your posts are filled with:

I don't care
I am not going to go to that restaurant again
I believe I can do what I want when I want no matter what you think
I am going to post whatever photo I want where I want when I want
I believe everyone is paranoid who does not want their photo taken
I believe everyone is neurotic who does not want their photo taken

Are you seeing the pattern?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,305,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually what makes no logical sense is your refusal to do what others ask which is not take their photo.
All of your posts are filled with:

I don't care
I am not going to go to that restaurant again
I believe I can do what I want when I want no matter what you think
I am going to post whatever photo I want where I want when I want
I believe everyone is paranoid who does not want their photo taken
I believe everyone is neurotic who does not want their photo taken

Are you seeing the pattern?
I do. A lot of people are irrational and paranoid. Thankfully almost nobody I know well is that way, and I'm glad. We take photos of each other's antics and it's all fine, and so much better that way. I many times get near pro quality photos of their children and I gladly give them copies. That's the fringe benefits of having a friend who's into photography and not being paranoid.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-23-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,343,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I do. A lot of people are irrational and paranoid. Avoid them if at all possible.
From your posts, your attitude comes off as self-centered & rude.

There are reasons why someone may not want their picture taken. A picture that comes off as innocent can destroy a person's job & career prospects etc. Like the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words and can be interpreted in different ways.

It has nothing to do with being irrational & paranoid.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 PM

154 posts, read 119,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

There are reasons why someone may not want their picture taken. A picture that comes off as innocent can destroy a person's job & career prospects etc. Like the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words and can be interpreted in different ways.

He wants what he wants and everybody else is wrong is he doesn't get his way.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,305,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

For one, that's an overblown myth, it happens about as often as I wake up with Taylor Swift and Britney Spears in my bedroom, and not even worth really making a deal out.

Even for the few cases where it does apply, what kind of boss can't understand that their employees may get wild & crazy during THEIR PERSONAL TIME, and how is it relevant to one's job abilities? The response to that should be that photography should stop? One's private life in terms of photographing it has to be compromised because of a boss with no sense? Do employers own their employees like property and have the right to dictate their behavior 24/7?

Sorry. I'm not putting my camera down because someone's boss somewhere thinks it's relevant at all what their employees are doing ON THEIR OWN TIME. Personally, the day my boss gets like that is the day I tell them to shove it, that they don't own me and I'm not their 24/7 unpaid PR slave.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 AM

15,246 posts, read 12,900,109 times
Thread summary: Two trolls abusing -- er, amusing themselves.

Nothing to see here.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:26 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,177,749 times
Not everyone is photogenic. Some people may have very good confidence in reality, but for them, their pictures come out horrible.

Now me personally, I hate taking pictures. I don't think I am photogenic, and my eyes are messed up. Recently I started wearing my hair in front of them though. So that's cool, but still I never took a picture I thought looked good.

Not a big deal. if you like taking pix, fine. But don't expect everyone to love getting them taken. And if they don't, that's their preference. If you wanna take pix, take them of someone else.There's tons of thing to photograph. So if people don't wanna pose for a picture, take one of someone who does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships