Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:54 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times

Advertisements

Oh, and don't let the negative people on this thread get you down. There are some posters here who act high and mighty and who put down everyone, no matter what the post is about. It's totally understandable that you are upset and want to vent about your family. Some people act like it's so easy to permanently withdraw yourself from your family, but it's not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
This is a rant because I am upset

I let my family know that I am engaged and all I was asked was:

1. How many carats is the ring?

2. What race is he?

And then I was reminded was much my cousin's fiance spent on her ring ($20,000). I told them I would NEVER want my fiance to spend that kind of cash on a ring. He and I both agree we would like to take a nice honeymoon and enjoy ourselves rather than spend years digging out of debt. I love my ring and it is beautiful. It is also exactly what I wanted.

No one said that they were happy for me. No one asked about wedding details. Nothing. I am so disappointed.

This is why they aren't invited lol. Only his family and my friends are going. I will not even send them photos.
Well, obviously you haven't even introduced your family to your fiance, odd to say the least.
Hard to get excited about nuptials if you don't even know the groom.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
When I was in grammar school, my first love was a Puerto Rican boy. Once I told my mother his last name, so began the inquisition...

Mom: So, how many shades darker is he than you?

Me : I don't know, maybe he is two or three shades darker than me.

Mom: In the Summer or the Winter?

WTF????

Old 06-25-2015, 09:46 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Some people are very...VERY shallow.

My mother & sister are obsessed with diamonds, and they can never get big enough. Years ago before my sister & I got married, my mother told us that she wanted one of us to have my grandmother's engagement diamond. My sister quickly announced that it was too small for her, that she had to have a large diamond, and that I could 'have' it. I always felt like that was extremely shallow of her.

Oh well, my husband had it placed into a beautiful setting, and with my other grandmother's wedding ring diamonds set in my wedding band, the rings are sentimental and make a great story.

How ignorant of them to ask such questions. I am sorry for you.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times
Congratulations to you!
Surround yourself with friends and others who will be happy for you and express it in a positive way.
It's a shame that your family has some issues which prevent them from doing so.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Well, anyways, thanks for all your input. I was annoyed with them, but you guys are right, I really should not have expected anything positive from them.

And no, his race is not important. Just because I do not bring it up doesn't mean I am hiding it. It really is not the first thing I think of.
Have you considered that, since you never introduced him to the family nor ever showed them a photograph of you together, that they are trying to picture you together as a family? Hard to even imagine if they could be anywhere from Swedish to Australian Aborigine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships