Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 12:52 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Irony is that people are more likely to divorce when the wife gets sick. Women are more likely to stick around to the end. Men are more likely to bail on a sick spouse.

Nope. Don't see the "supreme happiness" in that, either.

Honestly, this thread is an example of the discrimination people are talking about: Some people think something is wrong with you or your life because you're not married or in a relationship. It only proves our point that such uninformed and prejudiced thinking exists.

https://theanatomyoflove.com/what-is-love/what-is-love/

someone once said to me, "but your going to die alone"? So what, do you think I want anyone there watching me die? No, hell no, not even my son....I don't want him there. I came into this world alone and I'm going out alone....so what? Why would I want to torture someone that loves me like that....and yes, I would be there for them...if they wanted me to...but if they didn't want me to, I'd respect their wishes....

I'm never alone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I, too, have been a "slave" to love... First devoting decades to a man who ran off with a younger woman, and then caring for my beloved mother for decades before she passed. Glad I loved someone that much and was loved in return; was happy to do it; would do it again in a heartbeat for the two people whom I loved; have nothing against love; if love happens again, so be it... But right now love isn't holding me, and I'm running with it...

Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Ahhh....the seven year itch. I think my ex-wife had the two year itch.

It was the LAST seven years that was more painful than "itchy."

Yes, I think many folks just aren't "wired" for monogamy. Even while "faithfully married", every once in a while a person of the female gender would cross paths with me......and those primal urges were there....whether I admit to it or not.....

I'm not talking about boobs on the TV or all of the external stimuli that we're bombarded with every day ALL day, there's that feeling in your gut (& groin....)........

Folks stay married because they're with their best friend or because there's a sense of security. Or because of the kids, or because it's convenient, etc.

Take away any of those safety net features and you get a 50% divorce rate.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I, too, have been a "slave" to love... First devoting decades to a man who ran off with a younger woman, and then caring for my beloved mother for decades before she passed. Glad I loved someone that much and was loved in return; was happy to do it; would do it again in a heartbeat for the two people whom I loved; have nothing against love; if love happens again, so be it... But right now love isn't holding me, and I'm running with it...
lovely testimony, as difficult as my mom was, I'd do it again to....why? Because she loved me unconditionally and didn't run away when I disappointed her....

yeah, my husband ran around to....he ran around telling everyone I was mentally sick....and she was younger..., thing is, he was trying to get me back, playing the role, and all the time he was dating her...who was the one who was mentally sick?

And so many people believed him, and get this, except his sister and his best friend that grew up with him, and thank God for them telling me to get out of there and not go back to him until he could treat me the way I deserved to be treated.

And he's married to her now. And he ran around on me, even before we were married....? Sheesh....

Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
lovely testimony, as difficult as my mom was, I'd do it again to....why? Because she loved me unconditionally and didn't run away when I disappointed her....

yeah, my husband ran around to....he ran around telling everyone I was mentally sick....and she was younger..., thing is, he was trying to get me back, playing the role, and all the time he was dating her...who was the one who was mentally sick?

And so many people believed him, and get this, except his sister and his best friend that grew up with him, and thank God for them telling me to get out of there and not go back to him until he could treat me the way I deserved to be treated.

And he's married to her now. And he ran around on me, even before we were married....? Sheesh....
History repeats itself.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
History repeats itself.
yeah well, after the last boyfriend, I decided I'm not going to ever hurt like that again....love or no love, and honestly I am happier for it....its my choice, but I don't need someone telling me I'm deluding myself....

been there chose to not do it again.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:28 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah well, after the last boyfriend, I decided I'm not going to ever hurt like that again....love or no love, and honestly I am happier for it....its my choice, but I don't need someone telling me I'm deluding myself....

been there chose to not do it again.
I was referring to your ex....about history repeating itself.

It's evident that you set some ground rules for YOUR LIFE. And I don't blame you and I don't think you're deluding yourself.

I'm in the same boat.

I've tried to establish connections & "love", but I'm not into the financial risk that I know I'd be taking by getting married again. Nor the "broken heart syndrome."

Fortunately, our society in general doesn't look down on me for being a divorced man. It's almost a "Badge of Honor."

Times have changed, eh?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
But we're not bitter!

Honestly, I'm not. Love is a beautiful thing. But I'm okay without it for now.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose!"

Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But a married person also can't put a friend on their insurance. That's not how insurance works. In many states, or with many employers, you can definitely put your unmarried domestic partner on your insurance. I've done it myself. A live-in partner is different from a roommate or a friend.
So what criteria does one have to meet to qualify as a live-in domestic partner for insurance purposes?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So what criteria does one have to meet to qualify as a live-in domestic partner for insurance purposes?
The insurance company can set its own rules for that in the policy, so long as they are not in violation of state law. When I had my boyfriend on my insurance, we had to show a lease or mortgage, showing that we co-habited. We also had to show proof of at least one shared account, like a joint bank account or a join credit account. Then we signed some sort of affidavit that said we were domestic partners for a certain time period. But those were the rules set up by that particular insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships