Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you attend the gay marriage ceremony of family if you are strongly against gay marriage?
YES 29 33.33%
NO 47 54.02%
No Idea 11 12.64%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
First of all, I'll put this up front and say I'm a gay man living with another gay man.

It is an impossibility for someone to be "close" with someone but then opposes equality for that person. Every time I hear a hater say "I have a lot of gay friends blah blah blah", I laugh internally. It's like saying I have a lot of chicken friends and then proceed to eat their chicken friends.

So, the OP question doesn't even make sense. You are close to me but you oppose my right to be happy in my short life on this Earth? How does that even make sense?

Personally, I'm more of a coward, so I choose not to associate on a personal level with any hater. The only exceptions are my immediate family members.

Not inviting any hater to my wedding. Jesus might tell them to shoot us during the wedding or something. Never know with schizos.
Guess that would solve the problem as to whether such an individual would attend your hypothetical gay wedding. And I doubt that there are too many folks around who would care to be friends with an individual who refers to them as a "hater.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
When i do go to weddings (which isn't often) I am going for one reason and one reason alone - to show support to a friend or family member and to share an important moment with them. Nothing more and nothing less. I am under no delusion that my presence makes a statement either for against their union. In the whole scheme of things, how I feel about it!them is not that important.

As a side note, I think it is even more important to attend a wedding if you have philosophical concerns about the union, because if you are right and ultimately your friend or family member"comes around'" they are going to need my unconditional love even more - not just when I am in agreement with their worldview.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I can't imagine being anything other than happy for any couple pledging their love and making it legal. I really don't get being against same sex marriage for religious reasons. I don't. I'm Christian and I am fully able to think logically for myself. I'm beginning to think religion is just an excuse for being against something you find icky.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I find it rather hard to believe that someone this adamantly against same-sex marriage would have an LGBT friend or relative who would WANT them as a wedding guest. They should do the happy couple a favor and stay home. Why would newlyweds want insincere good wishes?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:41 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
I think I know quite a few people who absolutely would not do this under any circumstances, because their conscience forbids it.

As for me, though, I don't know. If I declined, it would probably be because I'm on the fence. I think I would go to show my support of the person I care about, probably, if it were someone I was very close to. I might even go to try to gently talk some sense into them if they were supposedly against this lifestyle before. Then again, I might bow out for religious reasons (No, they would be sincere concerns of conscience, not flippant excuses from me, personally, not liking it. On my own, I'm okay with anything a person may choose to do. I just have certain religious rules that I think keep me from engaging in certain things; it may be a little like being the Jewish or Muslim friend invited to a pork barbeque. Some things you just can't partake of, no matter how well you wish your friends. Unlike the stated religious rules, though, concerns of conscience can vary by situation.) It would depend on what I thought me being there would signify, how I felt about it at the time, and a number of other factors.

Another safe way out would probably be to find some errand to run that day and just claim that I would be busy. I often make excuses just not to deal with social concerns, so that would, hopefully, not be anything new.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:03 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You might try the Christianity forum. There is a higher concentration of zealots over there.
Well, from my opinion a lot of the folks in the Christianity forum do not follow the word of God and practice the sins of the secular world.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:42 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, from my opinion a lot of the folks in the Christianity forum do not follow the word of God and practice the sins of the secular world.

I think a lot of people choose to remain ignorant of the Bible and its teachings while claiming salvation from God. It's dangerous to know what to do and then refuse to do it, so I guess willful ignorance is their way out. I'm probably guilty of it, too. A lot of people do not practice the Word as written. I know you might disagree with me, but I say follow your own conscience about the matter if you don't have any clear notion about what to do. If you're wrong, you'll find out eventually.

I know people on all sides of this. Some draw the lines too thin and do whatever they please, claiming that grace will make up for it, while others draw the lines too thick, weighing everything and attributing sinful qualities to most things.

Me, I'm so sick of seeing people draw the lines too thick and outlawing everything that might be sin that I feel like rebelling against the teachings of men in favor of my own heart's interpretations of the teachings of Christ, but I haven't been able to find the courage to do it, really.

Real Christianity, though, grants freedom. Bondage isn't really part of it. We're taught to abstain from sin, because it's addictive, and addicts aren't in control of their own behavior but rather bound to their addictions.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:22 AM

62 posts, read 123,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I find it rather hard to believe that someone this adamantly against same-sex marriage would have an LGBT friend or relative who would WANT them as a wedding guest. They should do the happy couple a favor and stay home. Why would newlyweds want insincere good wishes?
Likely many people are strongly against gay marriage but don't tell their friends and relatives not wanting to be politically correct. My wife is strongly against gay marriage and we have some relatives she talks to on a regular basis who are gay. She is against the gay lifestyle and marriage but is not going to befriend them when they came out as gay. She talks to Democrats too, even though she is a strong Republican Conservative.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:58 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
Likely many people are strongly against gay marriage but don't tell their friends and relatives not wanting to be politically correct. My wife is strongly against gay marriage and we have some relatives she talks to on a regular basis who are gay. She is against the gay lifestyle and marriage but is not going to befriend them when they came out as gay. She talks to Democrats too, even though she is a strong Republican Conservative.
You said this already, sounds like a stock script?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:05 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Weekend Travler.

Jane & Jerry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships