Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 AM

379 posts, read 359,141 times

Advertisements

My dad has been annoyed with me since I was born. I suppose now he thinks I'm a slacker, but he was even more annoyed with me when I was working 100 hours a week. My gut feeling is that if I spend time with my grandma, he will be annoyed because of the phenomena of "why do grandparents and grandkids get along? because they share a common enemy." However, maybe he needs my support regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 07:54 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Go.

Life is for the living.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:05 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Go. Your grandmother and father will have business to take care of that will keep them busy while you are gone.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:09 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
My grandpa died yesterday and I had just booked a ticket to Germany the night before. I was going to hangout in Berlin for a while and ride my bike up to Copenhagen to visit my cousins, maybe jump over to London. All in all about 6 weeks. I haven't committed anything besides about $350 for a 1-way ticket. Now I feel a bit torn about going since I don't really have much purpose to being over there except to goof off, and maybe my dad and grandma would like me to be around for the rest of the summer (I live about 10 min away from them). OTOH my dad is usually annoyed by my presence otherwise, so maybe he'd rather me be on a different continent during the grieving process. Also, I am sort of sad and maybe I shouldn't be alone by myself in a different country at this time. What would you do?
Good luck with travelling on only a £350 ticket.

It isn't expensive to travel but it isn't cheap! I go on holdiay each year and a small two week holiday is £1,000+.

I am not sure they will let you in with a oneway ticket..

Since you said you are going to europe a week after the funeral I would go.. You aren't going to be able to do anything for them so..

Old 07-12-2015, 08:18 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Go...it's a week after the funeral. You will be there to help when it is most needed.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

379 posts, read 359,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Good luck with travelling on only a £350 ticket.

It isn't expensive to travel but it isn't cheap! I go on holdiay each year and a small two week holiday is £1,000+.

I am not sure they will let you in with a oneway ticket..

Since you said you are going to europe a week after the funeral I would go.. You aren't going to be able to do anything for them so..
Well, it's pretty cheap. I stay with family in Copenhagen, and house sitting in Berlin. So housing costs are minimal. AFAIK coming into Schengen I may need to show proof of onward travel, or just sufficient funds to buy an onward ticket. Plus I've got plenty of money, so normal travel expenses are no big deal. I'm just a cheapskate.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
My grandpa died yesterday and I had just booked a ticket to Germany the night before. I was going to hangout in Berlin for a while and ride my bike up to Copenhagen to visit my cousins, maybe jump over to London. All in all about 6 weeks. I haven't committed anything besides about $350 for a 1-way ticket. Now I feel a bit torn about going since I don't really have much purpose to being over there except to goof off, and maybe my dad and grandma would like me to be around for the rest of the summer (I live about 10 min away from them). OTOH my dad is usually annoyed by my presence otherwise, so maybe he'd rather me be on a different continent during the grieving process. Also, I am sort of sad and maybe I shouldn't be alone by myself in a different country at this time. What would you do?
I'd go. In my religion a wedding caravan has right of way over a funeral procession.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:00 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Please accept my condolences on your loss.

Quote:
Oh, I should mention I do not leave for Europe until about a week after the funeral.
Go on your trip.

Fifteen years ago I had $200 worth of tickets to see Kiss. My mother died in New York. We went to the funeral, and then the next day we came back to DC and went to the concert because she would have slapped me upside my head if I didn't go after spending that kind of money. The only thing that didn't happen because of her death was that my ex-hub didn't propose to me after the concert like he had planned. He waited another month and a half--until we were on vacation, which we didn't cancel either.

Your grandfather is no longer here. Your grandmother has your father to help her. Life is for the living, so go live it.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:18 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Go on your trip. Grandpa is gone. It's your father's responsibility to help your grandmother with whatever paperwork, etc. needs to be taken care of now. You'll be back in six weeks, you're not going for all that long a time.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
How old Re you? Do you still live at home? What was/isyour relationship like with your grandparents? And, what specifically would you be doing if you stayed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships