Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:19 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Yes, I'm a little blown away by the fact that so many comments indicate that they hate to talk on the phone and that phone calls are actually rude! I guess it's a generational thing, but I sure don't HATE to talk on the phone. God knows, I text and message all the time for short stuff that's not worth a phone call, but for something that needs a definitive answer with no room for misunderstanding, a 2-minute phone call works wonders.

To the OP: If you've agreed to go to the baseball game, and your friend has already made plans and gotten tickets, then it would be rude to ditch her at the last minute. Can you do both? Go for a shorter bike ride, and then go to the game?
these are the same people that make threads around the forum (usually in a Relationship section) like:

"I just texted this girl for our first date. It's been 22 minutes and she hasn't responded!! What should I do?"

"I get anxious when trying to meet girls/guys in the club, I don't know what to say! What's a good opening line?"

"I saw a girl/guy in the coffee shop, we noticed each other, actually. Should I have gone over and said something??"

"I gave a guy/girl my fb information 3 days ago and he/she hasn't friended me yet!! Wat do???"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
these are the same people that make threads around the forum (usually in a Relationship section) like:

"I just texted this girl for our first date. It's been 22 minutes and she hasn't responded!! What should I do?"

"I get anxious when trying to meet girls/guys in the club, I don't know what to say! What's a good opening line?"

"I saw a girl/guy in the coffee shop, we noticed each other, actually. Should I have gone over and said something??"

"I gave a guy/girl my fb information 3 days ago and he/she hasn't friended me yet!! Wat do???"

Exactly. These kids don't know how to even carry on a conversation with someone because they're all into their devices and never learned how to be socially acceptable. It's pathetic, but at least there's a lesser chance of these people breeding.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
I am in my twenties, but I would rather talk than text. It seems that there must be a lot of people with some sort of social anxiety. It is easier to text for some people rather than to actually look people in the eye and connect. I think they should try to talk to people to work on their anxiety.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:33 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
It's ridiculous how many people on this thread think it's perfectly fine to insult and belittle people who choose a different mode of communication.

People who find it convenient to text or message someone are taking advantage of modern communication methods. That does not mean they aren't adults or are immature or pathetic or incapable of conversing with someone in person.

Lots of people here who just need to look in a mirror if they want to see someone who is rude.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Odd that you say this ehipe using an electronic device .

Having a phobia is not pathetic. You generally can not help it. I didn't realize my issues with the phone were common or part of social anxiety until I happened to come across an article about it years ago. It all made sense to me and was such a relief!

How to Know if You Have Phone Phobia

When I was living at home (high school/early college) I dreaded making phone calls. I would put if off as long as possible and beg my sister to dial for me, but she is mean and would rarely do it.

I have no problem holding conversations in person, because I can see the person, how they are reacting, their body language, etc. Over the phone all that is a mystery and it is nerve racking. A message is quick and simple, non intrusive, no awkward pauses for unknown reasons or sense of urgency to respond.

How about instead of judging people for how they choose to communicate, we be thankful we live in a time with so many options to do so?
1. No one judged you personally.
2. If someone commiserated with you, it would still be a judgement. Just one to your liking.
3. Yes, phobias can be helped. It's called therapy and treatment.
4. It's your choice to keep a phobia instead of treating it. It's your life. You get to live it however you want.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I need to hear my sons' voices. Really bad. And I love to hear my sweetheart's voice when it's the middle of a tough work day.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:41 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Just text me or leave me a message/email.

Much easier.

I was born in 1957 and prefer the new way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Exactly. These kids don't know how to even carry on a conversation with someone because they're all into their devices and never learned how to be socially acceptable. It's pathetic, but at least there's a lesser chance of these people breeding.
I don't agree for me. I spend my day talking to people for eight hours for work, have my game on for eight hours. After 57 years in my free time I just like quiet. Quick messages work for me.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post

LOL...this so true.

There was a thread on here by a young guy who let the whole semester go by unable to strike up a conversation with a young woman he like....unbelievable.

How do they expect to get through a job interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It is pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I am in my twenties, but I would rather talk than text. It seems that there must be a lot of people with some sort of social anxiety. It is easier to text for some people rather than to actually look people in the eye and connect. I think they should try to talk to people to work on their anxiety.
I was in my 20s in the 80s, I don't remember too many people having social anxiety. Some people being little shy or awkward around new people, but you dealt with it.

As I just said, are they going to look on the floor and text their way through a job interview? This is nonsense for the most part.

Maybe they need to try removing the ear buds, put the phone away and interact with people in public.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:16 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
"If us going to a minor league baseball game doesn't work out I can always make a trip out of town for the day and we can get together some other time"

I have a friend who invited me to go to a baseball game with her and has told me she'll call me back either tomorrow or Tuesday, since I've been working more often and the weather is nicer outside I really want to go out of town and ride my bike all around there (I load my bike on a bus to get there).
You really can't figure this out on your own? Call her, see how she reacts, then you'll know immediately. Why are you asking us?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
I have eventually decided to go to the baseball game with my friend and that I can wait to go out of town next week, fortunately the weather will still be nice out again by the middle of next week, I did hear back from my friend and felt me going to a baseball game with her would do me a lot of good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships