Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times

Advertisements

Why is it that in the first minute of a conversation, 8 out of 10 people ask what kind of work you do, whether it's someone at the pool, someone in the trades, doctor or doctor's assistant, someone at a place of worship, etc.? After asking where you live or where your from and what kind of work you do, it seems like they are sizing you up. When I answer that I do a lot of research and computer work for my Dad, they then ask what kind of work he does?

Why does a doctor or handyman care what kind of work you do, especially if the rates for services are pre-determined before they know anything about you? Why not just perform the services, be professional, cordial, let me pay you, and that's it. Why do doctors want to know about your personal non-medical life and people in the trades about your social and professional life?

I'm surprised since professional sports are so popular in the United States, that people don't start asking you what you think of a certain team. It's less personal and is a better ice breaker, and if you don't follow the team at least you can ask the other person to tell you a little about the best or most popular players on the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
In my neck of the woods the first 3 questions in less than two minutes are:

1. "Who's your daddy?"
2. "Where do you go to Church at?"
3. "Where do you work at?"

Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Usually these people are trying to network.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:48 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
I hate talking about my job outside of work, so avoid talking to strangers for the most part - unless I'm trying to hook up with a woman, of course. I think most strangers who ask me what type of work I do are a$$%^%$, and I will deflect the question & typically stop talking to them, or change the subject. It's none of their god$%$# business.

However, I've had the best conversations with people when I'm on vacation - they can usually tell I'm from out of town, so the topic of my job usually doesn't come up - which is great

Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
Doctors want to know your line of work to become aware of any occupational health hazards. The illness you're visiting them for may possibly be due to something you were exposed to on-the-job.

As far as other people, most people are just nosy. Since people in our society are heavily defined by their profession/station in life, it becomes a way for people to judge and "size each other up" as you put it.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I don't see the big deal with asking this question - it seems fair considering you most likely spend 1/3 of your day doing something in particular to make money. The answer to the question reveals not only an income range and stability information but more importantly how much alignment you have in your life to your Will. For example: Are you a waitress because of a lack of confidence or education or good references or because you love people and the place that you work at?

I usually wait until I am asked about what I do before I ask others (just my habit). Talking with people is always about networking... not necessarily for business purposes but for a huge myriad of relationship purposes in general. I like people and enjoy getting to know them, thus this question is pretty natural to ask or be be asked.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I think a lot of people are just like conversationalists and are asking to fill the silence. They try to find common ground or make idle chat. I don't think it's nosy so much as lazy. Occasionally it can lead to an interesting conversation. But when you meet people, you don't start out with very meaningful discussion anyway. I don't think you should automatically take offense.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Relax OP. It’s really a very little deal. When people ask what I do (and when I ask what they do), it’s usually for a couple reasons. One is to make conversation and the second is simply because I’m interested/curious.

It’s a good way to get to know someone. Maybe they’re in the same line of work. Maybe they see someone in a Mercedes and wonder how they’re making their money. I get some enjoyment from what I do and enjoy talking about it. I also enjoy finding out what others do and enjoy asking them questions about it because I like to learn.

People spend an enormous amount of time at work, it’s a huge part of our lives. So naturally it’s something we talk about when connecting to someone.

Then there are some people who are pleased as punch with themselves and just want to know what you do so they can talk about what they do.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Usually these people are trying to network.

You mean professionally? Like an automotive technician trying to find other automotive technicians?

Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Why is it that in the first minute of a conversation, 8 out of 10 people ask what kind of work you do, whether it's someone at the pool, someone in the trades, doctor or doctor's assistant, someone at a place of worship, etc.?
8 out of 10? Really?

I don't know, check your t-shirts. They might have "Ask Me What I Do" printed on the back.

Someone asked me this morning to talk about what I do for a living. I suppose I could have been affronted by that but since it was my new CPA, I kinda figgered he had a reason for asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships