Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

unfortunately, common courtesy went away with common sense. I believe they had one way tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Totally agree with you, and I have to say that the worst offenders for loud phone conversations in public places are people older than 50 (twenty-somethings, as Scooby says, are texting machines, so they're at least quiet). I'm a librarian, and (older) people talking on their phones anywhere and everywhere is a constant problem. And when we politely ask them, after receiving multiple complaints from other patrons, to continue their conversations in the lobby, the phone people get all indignant like WE'RE the rude ones.

My pet peeve, though, is having to deal with phone people on the road. People always complain about young people texting while driving, but, again, I find people over the age of 40 or 50 to be just as bad, if not worse, for talking or texting on their phones while driving. While they hog the passing lane or distractedly weave in and out of lanes. In fact, I know people who routinely get on their phones as soon as they start the ignition. WTH is so important to talk about? If it were up to me, I'd hit them with traffic fines so big, they wouldn't know what hit them.

BTW, I'm in my 40s, so I'm not some young'un complaining about "old people."
^ This! I totally agree.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think there are two sides to this issue. Yes, people on cell phones in public can be and often are rude - they are often talking loudly, sometimes even using profanity.

But here's the flip side from a different perspective: ..<snip> ... Just some food for thought.
Thank you for writing this...what a perfect illustration of proper and expeditious use of a mobile phone! And, I would say to this that it would be so obvious to anyone nearby, that these were circumstances where you absolutely needed to answer that call. And you did so in the most polite manner to those around you wherever you were at the moment.

It's not rude to have a phone, or to use it as surreptitiously as possible in public. Easy as pie to pick out the well-mannered from the rude & oblivious behaviour.

I think most of the ugly behavior stems from those who haven't been taught manners, no matter the person's age.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:37 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
Yes it's rude. Many doctor's offices have signs that say NO CELLPHONES.

I had someone sit down next to me and yap loudly, then giving me dirty looks because she thought I was being nosy by listening in. How can I NOT listen in, when you're sitting right next to me and blabbing loudly?

People are so dumb. And rude.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was sitting in my Doctor's office the other day and several people took cell phone calls in the waiting room. The rest of us waiting for our appointment, some sick, were subjected to loud, personal discussions by people on their phones.

I am disgusted with people's lack of etiquette and self-centered behavior these days with those damn phones.

Am I old fashioned to think others do not appreciate hearing about your lousy date last night? Is it not customary to step outside to discuss your family business, folks?

Hi Texasyankee,

Your not old fashion, it's just how things operate today, people are always venting, p@##ing, moaning and complaining, very rarely does someone think about others instead of themselves, I'm the same way as you, if I need to make a call when surrounded by people, I 'll get up and leave. I don't have time for fun and games at the Dentist, or Doctors office or any where's else, where people are in need of attention, just saying. It's the way people are today but all is not lost, sometimes, they'll see how you are and will respond accordingly without you ever having to say a word, a simple look does it. And most times they get it. Lol.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I had a triple dose of thoughtless rudeness on Sunday. DH was busy with a community even so I went to the beach to float at the edge of the water and read. I went waaay down to the end of the beach close to the fishing pier and weedy water to signal that I was going to get out of the way of all the families there.

After about half an hour four families showed up with a passel of little kids and seven miniature kayaks and launched on both sides of me. Close enough to get my book wet. Glanced up the beach and saw there still were plenty of places they could have chosen.

I watched the little rascals have fun for a while and then decided to find a quiet spot. Mission accomplished. For fifteen minutes. Then some teen-agers, apparently from the South, came over and started "You-alling" and calling each other the N word at the top of their lungs.

I got up and moved again.

This time two twenty-something girls sat down next to me and got their phones out. Last thing one of them said was "We're at the beach. Call me lots of times."

Nothing like lots of phone calls when you're at the beach.

I'm so darned old-fashioned.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
I almost never talk on my phone--I've never been much of a phone person--but I honestly don't understand the rabid vitriol people seem to have for phone-talkers. Would you all be clutching your pearls if the conversant were both present in the room? Why is it so terrible to talk on the phone but perfectly fine to carry on a discussion with someone physically next to you? The distinction makes no logical sense to me.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
It does seem to be kind of out of control, the cell phone talking in waiting rooms. I recently was waiting to have a CT scan. There were multiple signs that said, "Please, NO CELL PHONES." The young man seated across from me had his cell phone out, texting and laughing. The receptionist kept giving him the stink eye and I waited for her to admonish him, but she never did. That's when I knew I was old because I wanted to grab his ear and say, "You see those signs on the wall? You're part of the world and the rules apply to you, too!" (Also, I wanted to tell him to stay offa my front porch!) I don't know if that makes us "old fashioned" or not... I am okay with being old fashioned, I suppose.
My husband and I firmly believe that a few years ago rules became suggestions or worse yet -- negotiating points.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I almost never talk on my phone--I've never been much of a phone person--but I honestly don't understand the rabid vitriol people seem to have for phone-talkers. Would you all be clutching your pearls if the conversant were both present in the room? Why is it so terrible to talk on the phone but perfectly fine to carry on a discussion with someone physically next to you? The distinction makes no logical sense to me.
Because, for some reason, when people talk on the phone they feel the need to speak loudly. When someone is sitting next to you, you modulate your tones and will talk lower. You will also pay attention to the others around you.

Using a phone, any phone, even your old fashioned landline -- you get caught up in the conversation and you won't read the room to see that you are bothering people.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times
I'll say this, when I'm out in public, or conducting business, and my phone rings, I either tell the person I'll call them back, or just ignore the call. Coworkers, boss, clients - different story (depending on where I am), but I have a couple of friends who are "chat happy" and that's where I don't talk on my phone unless I'm alone. Sometimes they get mad, but I keep saying that I don't discuss my personal business in public - period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships