Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:21 PM

172 posts, read 251,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I have gone over and commented if children were behaving nicely at a restaurant...
Wonderful! I'm sure the parents appreciated that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
I have gone over and commented if children were behaving nicely at a restaurant...otherwise I
mind my own business.

I've done that, too. I like to compliment others on the positives I see. I often comment to parents about their children and how well they are communicating. That's my area of expertise. This type of communication/contact is important and I find it is always well-received. Sometimes people are surprised, but I observe that they are appreciative.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I
Once my friends were at a favorite restaurant for our monthly foray and I saw an elderly woman across from us. This woman was the most beautiful woman I had EVER seen. Honestly, she was absolutely stunning. I told my friends to look and they did. We were caught staring and this was unfortunate because one member of their party was a young woman with Downs Syndrome. I didn't want them to think we were staring at the young woman, (I would never do that.) so when we were done with our meal and about to leave we did approach their table and explained our interest in them. The beautiful woman was celebrating her 80th birthday and thanked us for making her day even more enjoyable.
So nice!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
I also ask other diners about their dish if it looks great and there is not a waiter nearby. If the waiter is handy I ask him/her. That way I can peruse the menu maybe get a dish I might not have tried.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
If I wanted to watch other people for entertainment I would go to Chuck E. Cheese!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:16 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
I look around but usually focus on the people at my table.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:50 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I try to be cognizant of the establishment and not occupy a place too long, unless the waitress encourages me to take my time genuinely .
If it becomes busy I have the consideration to leave, so others can dine as well.
Some folk have only so much time for eating and having to wait because I am over occupying a space, is not fair to the store.
Other wise if the place is not filling up I study and write or draw on some equipment I want to develop.
While doing that, If some one is open to say any thing, I try to be a little friendly ,not pushy.
If not I watch people, and mostly their faces as they converse with one another , there are times I can read lips but I really don't put that much effort into it , no sense in being creepy.
It can hurt one's experience in the store, and I don't want that.
Starbucks is excellent for hanging out they promote it.
A lot of people do their business there on line and meeting clients.
Being a regular ,the staff knows me so we share with one another all the time.
Most stores don't mind camping out ,long as it doesn't distract from their livelihood.
And If I'm there long , I tip more generously.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:56 AM

371 posts, read 1,211,313 times
I usually look around to see what other people are eating and what looks good, especially if it's somewhere I haven't been before. I am one that complains about people using their phones at restaurants, but it mostly bothers me when it's people I'm with, not people at other tables. My college roommate used to ask me to go out to eat with her all of the time and then literally spend the entire time talking on the phone or texting constantly with her mother. I might as well have not even been there. She talked to her mom on the phone 3-4 times a day, often for an hour or more at a time, so this wasn't like an emergency that she needed to deal with or something. I finally told her I wouldn't eat out with her anymore, and of course I was the rude one, not her. Although I've never been out with anyone that's been that blatantly rude since then, I do hate it when people place their phones on the table right next to them and constantly check FB/twitter, text, etc. as if they can't stand to even let the phone out of their sight. I tend to not invite those people out again. I might comment if I see tons of other people doing this at a restaurant because I hate that this has become the norm. If everyone's doing it, it's hard to find people that still know how to enjoy face to face company.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,820 times
Quote:
I have gone over and commented if children were behaving nicely at a restaurant...otherwise I
mind my own business.
Pekemom your my kind of people. I don't much people watch but do notice a family with well behaved children and have done the same as you. Shows good parenting. Have also seen the other side where the kids are obnoxious and allowed to do whatever and the nitwit parents are in lala land. Have seen servers literally dodge these brats trying to get orders to table. Would love to leave a comment to the parents also but am sure the four letters would fly and the restaurant would be sued. Good parents,you have to love them.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,820 times
True story. Years ago on my birthday, my husband back then wanted to know where I would like to go to dinner. Was in a big way for seafood and a restaurant right around the corner was the place. Ordered my dinner and husband decided not to eat . Yes we had money for both to eat but although my birthday I guess I should have picked his favorite place. All this food came to the table and I chowed down while he sat like the spoiled brat he was drinking coffee, that's why he became an ex. People were looking at our table. Years later was dating a gentleman from another town in our state and relayed this story. He was stunned and commented he thinks he and his wife may have been witness to this. He asked if it was the restaurant on such a rd and mentioned the name and when I said yes he told me he and his wife did see us. How embarrassing, but goes to show many people do people watch when dining out so careful what you do, how loudly you speak and language you may be using. Think I just got annoyed with my ex again after all these years. I did get remarried and to the gentleman in my story who was the kindest, loving and generous to a fault and yes the two of us went on to people watch ourselves .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships