Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

Only a very few people would even know of that sort of change in financial circumstances..... and those people would be benefiting from it as well..... The two or three animal rescues that I work most closely with would certainly be benefiting....

I am not a clothes horse, I don't wear jewelry, I could NOT care less about driving a fancy expensive car..... I DO love good food and to eat out often.... so THAT may provide a clue to everyone else.... that and the fact that my 37 year old, 1400 SF subdivision tract house would finally be remodeled from top to bottom.... and cleaned by a housekeeper twice a week!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 06:36 PM

779 posts, read 927,107 times
You need to be around people who are going to motivate you to go further in life. Broke people tend to be either negative, moochers, or envious.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I think anyone who becomes rich and does not continue to have acquaintances and even friendships from all socioeconomic groups and backgrounds would only be hurting themselves.

I recently read that Thomas Jefferson would often go out of his way to talk with "simple tradesman" because he realized that people can learn something from almost everyone. From what I have read, though, I don't think his attitude was -- and still is -- all that uncommon among very educated and wealthy men.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
You need to be around people who are going to motivate you to go further in life. Broke people tend to be either negative, moochers, or envious.
This much has been made obvious on this thread.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I think rich people know who the moochers are ,
Sweet talk, brown nosers, yes men, step and fetch it, we're good buddies right?.
Through the years working for a few rich folk you have to appreciate their suspicion, no matter how strait you present your self.
Some want to have the red carpet treatment, but don't expect it to be reciprocated .
On the other hand there are those that appreciate being unrecognized, especially in public and do business like any one else.
Sometimes the kind of car or boat is a give away ,but don't count on it. Some folks have the fancy stuff and can't actually afford it. but use the illusion to get some where.

Rule of thumb , money easily gotten is easily lost.
When the money is gone, so is every one else.
Best no one knows, and kindnesses are done anonimiously.
Would I like to be rich ?
Not really I'd much rather have a wealthy friend that has an interest in things I invent and enable me to develop them. We can share the fun.
Chances are they are smarter with money than I , and I would be distracted with it. loose focus.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 PM

424 posts, read 381,438 times
I wouldn't, I would rather be homeless or do that. I wouldn't really change my life at all actually except maybe spend more and donate more to charity. I really couldn't picture myself at a millionaires retreat or whatever.......

Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 PM

72 posts, read 148,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
All I can say is when I am with a friend who is a lot poorer than I am, I usually buy the drinks or treat them to lunch. I don't buy them a house. But if I am making $45 K a year and they are struggling by on minimum wage, I am treating. And I'm a woman, it doesn't matter what sex they are. So that's just my philosophy. So my wealth is actually what most of you would call being a "little person" anyway. So I guess I'm just one of the little people helping out my fellow little people.

And to the person who wrote that being a giving person isn't a virtue, yeah, whatever.

We are here on this planet to take care of each other. If you are fortunate enough to have it better than other people, you should be giving back because no one makes it on their own.

I'm with you, sister.
And I am friends with some seriously wealthy people. As well as dirt poor ones. I don't expect anyone to pay for me, unless they insist on going someplace I cannot afford, knowingly, and still want me there.
In that case, my friends offer.
And I have friends I always offer to pay for, because I know their situations and I can afford to. They don't ask, EVER, but I always offer.
Common sense, not ego. If you love your friends, it's give and take in all areas, otherwise, find new friends.
I pick my friends based on their hearts and intentions-- my friends in both camps are very generous, be it with time, money, affection, support..and that's what counts. Their attitude towards life.
So the answer for me, personally, is that a change in finance wouldn't cause me to ditch my friends who do t have big bucks.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You're probably wealthy compared to a lot of people. How many restaurant tabs do you pick up for them?

If you make $35,000 a year and they work part time at Walmart are you paying their way?
I ALWAYS take out my elderly uncle's family and pay for the whole dinner, for example, knowing I make much more than them. I never even let them split the bill or even pay for the tip. But with my friends who make about the same amount we alternate paying or split the bill. Anyone I know who is much less fortunate, I treat them out.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
She said she does it and supports the philosophy of whoever has more pays or they are in the wrong.

That is different from picking up the tab now and then between friends.

This is her post:
If I'm hanging out with a truly wealthy person and they expect me to go halves with me on a big restaurant bill I would think they are nasty.
Uh, that is not the same post I had quoted and referred to. Check my post.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
I don't think "money" is what should dictate personal relationships. That is a VERY shallow way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships