Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM

269 posts, read 370,921 times

Advertisements

Yes, except with my mum and a couple of other family members who I am used to talking to by phone. And I hate having to ring call centres and strangers to make enquiries and what not. I much prefer email or text. Maybe it's because I'm an introvert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:17 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
No. I love talking on the phone. I like keeping in touch with family and friends that I can't see in person as often as I'd like. The phone makes it easy to keep up with each other.

I hate texting, email, FB, etc.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I solved the problem having a trac phone prepay I make sure that every one knows I have a limited time and cannot be held on for a long time.
get to the point ,and get back with me later or e mail.
Some folks in person I can enjoy a long conversation, others I try and keep it concise. it also depends on the day and what's going on.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times
I enjoy talking on the phone because I don't get a lot of phone calls. It is a relief when someone calls me which is usually on my birthday.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:06 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Yes! I hate it and do everything I can to avoid having to call anyone unless I absolutely have to. I'm shy, and telephones give me performance anxiety. Just the sound of the phone bell makes my anxiety level go up.

E-mail is so much easier because it gives you time to think about what you want to say rather than being put on the spot. Also, I have a chatty, self-absorbed out of town friend who doesn't know when to shut up, and I dread those 90 minute monologues. I use the answering machine to screen all calls so I can avoid telemarketers and anyone else I don't really need to talk to.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 AM

357 posts, read 222,229 times
I love love the phone and have since I was a teen and got my own at age 16 because I was on my parents too much and it was a constant sore spot. So for my 16th Bday my Nana (who I talked to daily for as long as I can remember) had a line installed with my own number in my bedroom. I was in heaven!! lol And when I first got married my husbands parents would complain and not answer their phone whenever we were visiting so much so that I started to answer for them which they much appreciated and I could not understand what the problem was but was happy to help.

Skip to now and my son hates to call anyone and or any business so much so he begs me to make such calls for him if he can get away with it. I dont understand the problem with talking to person on phone ? I find it much more efficient than having to text or email whatever it is that I have to say especially if it is something that I need to get specific details about. I think that it takes us back to the telegraph days - such a waste of time to do - so much dancing around the bush and or miscommunication with it - really. And it can really get one into trouble as well cause what you say is there for whomever to read- not that Im shady but have seen it work against my son and a few of his friends. Lol

Old 07-19-2015, 02:42 AM

371 posts, read 1,210,887 times
I don't like it either. The only people I call are my parents, and that's because I live in a different state. Even with them though, I might call once every few weeks. I especially hate making appointments/talking to strangers on the phone. If there wasn't an online ordering option, I'd never order takeout, lol. Even if I were fine talking on the phone, texting is just so much easier and more convenient. With texting it doesn't matter if the person is right there next to their phone ready to answer it, you can send the same message to multiple people/easily plan things with a group text, and you can get/give quick information without dragging everything out into a huge phone call. Now if it is something that's going to be a longer conversation, I don't want to text back and forth forever either, so for something like that I'd prefer to meet in person. Honestly I mostly use texting for making plans, not just for conversation.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:53 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
Not really.

I hate answering it though.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
I prefer texting people that I don't enjoy talking to. The asynchronous nature of text exchange makes it easier to control the flow of conversation, and to avoid taking the conversation in a direction that you don't want.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 AM

583 posts, read 712,429 times
It beats having a texting relationship. Talking on the phone means a lot more. Nowadays, all people know how to do is text or talk through a computer... like we're doing now I guess lol. Ultimately communicating in person is the best, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships