Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,841 times

Advertisements

I don't like talking on the phone or picking it up if I don't recognize the number. But my mother always picks up the phone even if she does not recognize the number. She can -and usually does- talk on the phone for hours. It took her forever to learn how to text, and now she does it only occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:12 AM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't like it either. So many people don't understand that texting is not a substitute for all communication. For one thing, texting involves a lot more effort to communicate a small amount of information. It is designed for short messages and not long conversations. Just a 5 minute phone call can replace a hour or more of back and forth texts. (I won't even go into the problem of how dangerous it is to text while driving, as opposed to talking on the phone which is much safer). More importantly, you don't get the benefit of context and tone of voice in a text message. This can lead to a lot of hurt feelings that are completely unnecessary. Many threads have been started on this. "So and so hasn't texted me back. Why?" I don't know. Why don't you CALL the person? They're called PHONES for a reason.
Yes, so much this!! Texting is definitely NOT a substitute for communication. I, for one, am so happy that I grew up without cell phones being prevalent. I'm glad I talked to people and friends on the phone, or in person, because that was the only choice we had (and it was a good thing!). I'm happy that when we went out to meals or just went out to places in general, we actually had to talk to each other and entertain ourselves, instead of having a phone to do it. That's a discussion for another thread, though.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
I detest talking on the phone and the only way I'll talk over is via FaceTime.

Other than that, text please, with lots of emojis.

Last edited by ATG5; 07-20-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
I prefer e-mailing rather then talking on the phone.
I can review and modify it after a review and realizing that it didn't present my thoughts in the manner that I preferred.
Although the phone does allow you deeper insight into picking up verbal nuances and voice inflections that writing doesn't pick up.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 AM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times
I hate talking on the phone, I avoid it all costs, even when I am home I do not pick up but let it go to voice mail. I also use no hand-held electronics. I'm a bit of an introvert. I am on the phone and computer all day at work and hate having any electronics in my home. I like my peace and quiet.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:14 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I hate talking on the phone.
Prefer text, email, in person, etc.
Same here...but prefer in person over texting.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:22 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I do not like talking on the phone. I refuse to answer any number I do not recognize. If it's important, they better leave a decent message - not just "Call 555-1234". I prefer texting or emailing.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
I tend to be a to the point, wrap it up kind of person on the phone. My old phone is troublesome for texting so it's email or face to face for me.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 PM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Maybe it's where I'm scarred from working in call centers for a few years, but I hate talking on the telephone, even to close friends or family. When I talk on the phone, I keep it brief and to the point - it makes me uncomfortable.

Do you prefer calls, or texts/email?
Phone calls. I had texting disabled for many many years. Even now, the only person who knows I don't still have it disabled is my son.

I don't mind to-the-point phone calls. I much prefer them in fact. I have a couple of acquaintances who will call me up and natter at me for literally HOURS when they want sympathy (and plenty of it). Very needy. Thank god neither one knows I can receive texts now or they'd fill up my phone's memory with pointless texts.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I wonder if there is a way to disable texting ability from just certain phone numbers. I'm tired of my text addicted sister only texting me all the time, especially since she lives 150 miles away and we only visit a few times a year. I do need the text ability so my wife and boss can text me though, but it would be nice to hear my sister's voice once in a while. Every time I call her I get the voice mail and long subsequent text message conversations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships