Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times

Advertisements

I once had the task of reading students' names at graduation. There was one poor student from Mongolia whose name I butchered beyond repair. I felt like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:02 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
We once had a new guy come in with the last name McGrone, which IMO is pretty straight forward. People absolutely butchered it, he was called McGoon, McGroon, Mc Gown, Mc Gowan and everything but, even when he repeatedly told people it's pronounced like groan. After a couple weeks of this he finally gave up and told people to call him Mack

Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I have an unusual spelling. I am actually just in shock if people get it right on the first try. Butchering is expected.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My name is pronounced exactly like its spelled, but people still stumble over it. I always have to spell it. Anyway, if I had a name that was not easy to pronounce correctly, I'd be the first in the family to change the spelling to a phonetically easier one. How some people go for generations with names that look like typographical errors is puzzling to me.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Some people say may name wrong. I don't bother to correct them, nor do I care much. I don't really care unless my name is misspelled in some important document.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I saw a funny email this morning where someone replied and totally butchered a name. This was a common name and he only got the first letter right! How do you feel when someone butchers your name?
Happens all the time to mine. I won't say what mine is, but it's come out as "Geversman," where only the first letter and last four letters are right.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:38 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Doesn't bother me at all, as my first name is unusual and difficult to pronounce. As a previous poster said, I expect butchery. It's also very similar to several common names, so many people, if they are reading it quickly, think they see something else.

What annoys me is when I'm giving it to somebody verbally, and take the time to spell it out, very slowly, and emphasize the one problematic vowel, and it still gets entered into somebody's computer incorrectly.

I also sometimes hear "You spell your name wrong" and that is rather irksome. I think I know how to spell my own name. Some people assume I'm going for a "unique" spelling, but actually the name itself is unique, not the spelling.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:42 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Just encountered this problem at a convention hotel recently, where another guest shared my initials and almost shared my surname - but with an "r" added, meaning our names rhymed but were different. Still, the desk attendant first said she had no reservation for me, then asked me my first name once again and asked if I wasn't "Charles" instead of "Craig". I told her that not only did I have a reservation, but that I had called the hotel a couple of additional times about extending the reservation and acquiring a refrigerator for my room.

Eventually she found my reservation and told me that the hotel also had a "Charles Similar-Last-Name" registered. I encountered "Charles" once afterwards (it was a very large convention) and learned that he often had his surname mistaken for mine!

The last syllable of my name also gets dropped by inattentive people, who generally add an "r" to the first syllable, making a completely different name.

And of course, changing one letter of my quite respectable English-in-origin surname turns it into a common vulgarity. But I cope, as do my relatives and forebears, who've borne the name in this country for over 360 years.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Ugh! I have a last name that is frequently mispronounced. I typically correct the person and they look at me funny. Then they think it's cute to tease me about it. The worst one yet was someone who questioned if I knew how to pronounce my own last name!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:34 PM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
How do you feel when someone butchers your name?
I have a traditional, feminine name of European origin whose pronunciation people routinely butcher. I automatically tack 30 IQ points onto my estimation of anyone who gets my name right.

The first seven lines of any phone conversation with someone new go something like this:
Me: Hello?
Person Who Has Apparently Never Traveled: Hi, I'm looking for [outrageous mangling of my first name].
Me: It's [correct pronunciation], how can I help you?
Them (confused): Hunh?
Me: It's pronounced [correct pronunciation]. How can I help you?
Them: Oh, it's spelled [correct spelling] on here.
Me: Yes, that's correct. (an edge creeps into my voice) Now how can I help you?

Frequently the person I'm talking to gets annoyed with me because I am getting annoyed with them. Hey, nothing personal. It may be your first encounter with my name but I deal with this almost every single time I deal with someone new. And this doesn't even include the people who are so sheltered they don't even realize it's a feminine name: "Oh...you're a girl?" Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships