Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 11:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

People claim to get vibes all the time. Oh yeah I got the vibe she was sketchy. He was giving off weird vibes. She was giving off sexy vibes! Etc. etc.

I'm just wondering what a vibe actually is? Is it just a person's superficial impressions of another person? Is it body language, intonation, mannerisms? Or is it a subconscious message we emote to the universe? The term "vibe" is poorly understood, by me at least, and I'd love to hear some impressions about the concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
I believe, somewhat, in the concept of energy being transferred between people, of the power of the mind, collective consciousness ('Spiritus Mundi'). It fascinates me that I can think about chocolate and I can then bring up the taste of it in my mind's vast web of memories and experiences. I can smell a favorite scent, I can relive past events in vivid Technicolor.

With that said, I look at a 'vibe' as being a vague brushing of minds, a quick transferal of 'energy', a color from someone's spectrum tinting your own spectrum randomly. It's a psychic connection (which animals seem to have to some degree--birds in formation, flying perfectly in sync, for example).

Not to be mistaken with 'She's flirting with me, staring a lot...I'm getting a strong vibe!' No you're not. You're getting obvious signs and hints. A vibe is a totally different thing.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times
To me, it is just a feeling I get about someone.
"vibe" is just a word. I try not to spend too much time analyzing it. Then again, I'm old and killed off too many brain cells, I guess.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Based on personal experience, being able to read/interpret vibes/body language & having an instinct about such things are extremely important.

I personally think that someone's success and/or failure in life has a lot to do with both how you interact with people & how good/bad you are at reading people's cues/body language.

Being able to interpret non-verbal communication is critical.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 07-31-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
How it's generally used today is as a synonym for the word "impression", and sometimes for the word "feeling". You can't define it rigidly, or as based on intonation, appearance, etc. It's any combination of things that gives off a certain impression / gives someone a certain feeling about you.

When Brian Wilson used the term in "Good Vibrations", he was using it more literally - there was a whole new age philosophy behind the term, about energies being exchanged between two people (as evidenced by BobCaldwell's post. There's actually no science behind this theory). But now if someone says "I'm getting good vibes about this person", they generally just mean "I have a good impression" or "I have a good feeling".

Definition 2: a marimba-like percussion instrument. Nyuck nyuck.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:33 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
IMHO, 'vibes' are all too often just a reflection back of what you want to feel based on your own history or biases. In other words, some people are prone to see, say, creepiness all the time, so they claim the pick up a 'vibe' from someone. In some case I think it's just a way of verbalizing what you're predisposed to feel anyway, and NOT an accurate pickup from another person.

I think we all know someone who, for instance, says "I refuse to have drama in my life," and then supposedly picks up on person after person's "drama vibe"...yeah OK.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's your lizard brain picking up signals too subtle for you to consciously notice. Fight or flight to pilot, there's something off in this situation.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
It is just a feeling. I think it is based more off of someone's mannerisms than their actual looks, or maybe not even based on something concrete.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
People claim to get vibes all the time. Oh yeah I got the vibe she was sketchy. He was giving off weird vibes. She was giving off sexy vibes! Etc. etc.

I'm just wondering what a vibe actually is? Is it just a person's superficial impressions of another person? Is it body language, intonation, mannerisms? Or is it a subconscious message we emote to the universe? The term "vibe" is poorly understood, by me at least, and I'd love to hear some impressions about the concept.
It's a feeling...like when you walk somewhere and the hair stands up on your neck for no reason. I don;t think it involves judgement of any type or even conscious thought. I can most definitely feel negative or positive energy or vibe around people even if they don't say anything. Some people you meet and just get a good feeling being around them...that's the vibe they give off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships