Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times

Advertisements

I hear ya, guy.

(And relax, people - if he wanted to tell us what it is he would have done so. We don't need to know).

I imagine that if I was diagnosed with a condition, I wouldn't want people to know about it beyond my inner circle, for the very reasons you state. I wouldn't want people treating me with kid gloves.

I'm not sure what else to tell you except to push through this and live your life as well as you can. People who are half-way sensitive will appreciate this about you, and the haters are gon' hate no matter what. Sorry you're experiencing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I'm sorry that people are 'acting weird' around you, as you have described. I'm guessing that a lot of people (especially the older generation, like your Aunt) are still ignorant about these things and don't understand or know what to say to you about it.

They shouldn't be acting weird to you though - you are still the same person you've always been! So see it as their problem and not your's.

It's also good that you can see the positive in your ADD by calling it your superpower! And being good at your job is something to be proud of.

Take care and remember that you are a person first and not a condition.
I'm not the OP, lol.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Oops, sorry! I thought the OP had come back to explain!

Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM

396 posts, read 512,742 times
People fear what they do not understand. And fear doesn't always mean abject terror, it can mean being tongue tied or unsure of how to proceed. If you're of a mind to do so, try to educate them and if not, try to understand the why of their actions.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:51 AM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
People fear what they do not understand. And fear doesn't always mean abject terror, it can mean being tongue tied or unsure of how to proceed. If you're of a mind to do so, try to educate them and if not, try to understand the why of their actions.
Exactly.
Which is why the OP should make the attempt to educate, not pretend there are no issues.
And that is why I asked the nature of the diagnosis... perhaps someone here could show the OP how to put in in a positive light for others.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:42 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
I have to assume that "Sickandtiredofthis" is merely venting and doesn't really want help with a social condition that can't be shared because it may be misinterpreted.
But, remember, it's hard to get any answers if you don't like the questions.
Good luck in getting through your dilemma.
But then again, maybe this is a way for you to get and keep attention ?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,559 times
If you have a resentment towards your mom for discussing this with relatives, I hope that you can let it go. That only adds to your stress. Like someone else posted, I am sure she was doing it in your best interest.

I have a social anxiety issue. For instance, when I am around very many people I get very nervous, self-conscious, and even get annoyed to the point where I get mad. Take for instance my trip to Kroger's yesterday.....I was looking at the berries. No one else was near me at first, then other people started coming near me, (other people besides me like berries--Duh!) Well, I started to feel closed in and like they were imposing on me. I had to "get away" from them so I went to look for something else. People were simply going by me with their carts and had every right to do so, although I was already anxious about the berry incident, so I got even more upset. I felt trapped and had to tell myself everything was alright and the other shoppers were not doing anything wrong. When I was a drinker, it was so much worse and I would be in tears and have to leave my cart and the store before I finished shopping. It eventually got so bad, I was unable to do any shopping and go to places where there very many people at all. At least it is better now. I have brought it up with different therapists I have seen and no one has diagnosed me with anything in particular.

What I would tell your family the next time you visit them is to say, "Ok, you guys.....I know Mom talked to you about me. I just want you to know that I am alright and I want you to feel comfortable around me and treat me like you used to. That way, I will be more comfortable being around you as well."

Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Why do you not feel like you can tell us about the condition, on here? It's not like we know you personally. I would not try to judge you and I'm sure others on here wouldn't either. Or maybe you can go on other forums with people who have the same condition as you? I'm sorry your family has judged you, by the way.
People have acted weird before.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:58 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Obviously, you were not able to hide it if your mother felt that she needed to explain to the relatives why you were acting the way that you were acting. And, there must be some issues if people notice it and were aware of it.

I am not sure how old you are. As a parent, we kept the medical conditions of our minor children private, unless it was something that others need to know (allergies, etc).

After our children became adults, they did not always share their medical conditions with us.

If you were 18 when this was diagnosed then, IMHO, your mother was wrong to share this information with others. However, I bet that she thought that she was doing what she thought was in your best interest.
I am sure she did. I told her not to and she would deny that she ever told anyone. Eventually it became obvious that she did. Some relatives were good with it and some terrible.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
So the social condition means you can't (or won't?) talk around people you aren't comfortable with, but you are able to hide it? Does that mean you can talk around people you aren't comfortable with?

When someone talks to you as if you're a child, why not then say something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships