Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

Grow up. Everyone goes through difficult and trying times in their life. You have no idea what difficult things your friends may be going through - maybe they were dealing with their own issues.

People will not always act the way you want them to act. If you don't want to be friends anymore then don't - but quit playing the martyr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
If you have something to say to your friend, say it. But the "greeting" you're thinking of sending is passive-aggressive and will only serve to further alienate people. If your heart isn't into a friendly, positive greeting, just skip it this year.

I'm sorry for all you've been through and hope things get better for you.

BTW, when you are around your family, do your best to look on the bright side and be optimistic about your situation, even if you don't feel that way. If you're perpetually whiny, they must be tired of it too, even if they don't show it. Trust, me. I'm speaking from experience.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,442 times
Either say:
I wish all of my friends, past, present and future a happy and healthy new year.

Or don't send a greeting at all this year.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:37 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Seems a bit dramatic...like something a 15 year old would do.

I had a similar issue years ago when I was getting divorced...it was coming up on Christmas and I was way behind in my preparations. I usually sent out cards (yes, back in the dark ages) several weeks before Christmas but didn't get around to it until Christmas week. I sent them out, not realizing I'd gotten only a couple cards myself that year...only AFTER sending out my cards did a few more trickle in.

I was totally disgusted by supposed friends/relatives who for how many years prior only sent me greetings after getting mine...and was even more disgusted with myself.

Did I send a weird little note letting all know that I was on to their game? No - I just never sent them anything else...and ya know what? I'm sure no one even noticed that I'd stopped....no one will "get" your message either - so don't even bother.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Keep it all positive. The vibes we send out into the world seem to come back to us tenfold. So keep it positive.

Aren't the Jewish High Holidays about the start of a New Year, atonement, and forgiveness? Wouldn't that be a better way to start a New Year? Sending out something that is complaining and negative defeats the purpose of the holiday.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:07 PM

389 posts, read 426,631 times
How do you know the "friends" who have done you wrong will even care enough to read the message?? I honestly think sending this would serve no purpose.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am sorry for the loss of your parents and that you lost your job. It must be a very difficult time for you.

While what your friends did was wrong, but IMHO the way to confront them is to discuss it in private 1 to 1. Sending a passive-aggressive letter to everyone is only going to make you look bad not them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Makes you look like those ridiculous FB posters that constantly update you that they have unfriended people and if you see that message your lucky. Gag me with a spoon....
Problem is that this person was/is not alone. I would say that I have lost about 2 or 3 previously close friends and overall suffered a loss of status and contacts.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Over the past three years, I have had a never – ending stream of losses. My wife, children and siblings have been devoted through these three difficult years. Unfortunately, I have lost my job, and a good portion of my remaining friends and acquaintances during this period.
----------------------------------------------------------

Instead of the above ^How about writing something like this?:
-----------------------------------------------------------

The past three years have been difficult ones. I'm thankful for my wife, children, siblings and my friends who have been devoted through these three years.

I anticipate and expect things will get better. On that note,I wish all of my family and friends a happy and healthy new year.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Then leave it at that. Your true friends will know that you are talking about them. Perhaps, with your true friends, to reinforce your message, put a personal note in the email that goes to them letting them know how much they mean to you and thank them for sticking with you.
This.

Your original post sounds bitter. Bitter is not good anytime, but especially not at a holy day or holiday.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:36 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would say that I have lost about 2 or 3 previously close friends and overall suffered a loss of status and contacts.
Oh no! A loss of status... really?

Friends come and go. You had some go - so get out there and make new ones.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Carrying all this mental garbage around is hurting no one but yourself. Do you really think that people who arent involved with you now are going to even give a crap what you write? Dont you think its time to put your big boy pants on and start to live your life with people who want to be involved in your life? Why get heartburn over people who arent in your life anymore and dont want to be? Perhaps those people you thought were friends, werent really friends, but just aquaintences.

Maybe its time to stop worrying about other people who dont give a flip about you, and concentrate on those who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships