Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

I notice it is a regional thing.

Here in the south, they say five, they mean five.

OP, your moniker says Brooklyn ( I am from NY originally) ...if that is true, anytime between five and six. That seems to be generally true throughout the northeast.

California and the west? No idea....but I would guess it is specific (5 p.m. means 5 pm!) in the Midwest/west, and quite relaxed along the west coast (5 means 5:30 or six).

Regardless of the location, unless you have been asked to come help, going before the appointed time is only going to find the hostess in her underwear and get you a black mark for being inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Interesting. When I invite people for 5, I mean 5. I hate that feeling when you're sitting there waiting for your guests to arrive but they are all trying to be fashionably late.

I don't like early, I don't like late, I like ON TIME.
Exactly!! I'm an ON TIME person (unless there is some unforeseen traffic, accident or something) - I have no idea why so many say a 5:00 invite means some time AFTER.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:08 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I notice it is a regional thing.

Here in the south, they say five, they mean five.

OP, your moniker says Brooklyn ( I am from NY originally) ...if that is true, anytime between five and six. That seems to be generally true throughout the northeast.

California and the west? No idea....but I would guess it is specific (5 p.m. means 5 pm!) in the Midwest/west, and quite relaxed along the west coast (5 means 5:30 or six).

Regardless of the location, unless you have been asked to come help, going before the appointed time is only going to find the hostess in her underwear and get you a black mark for being inconsiderate.
My experience visiting family in the south (and it didn't seem like it was just them) - in the South means "somewhere in the general time range" of the given time.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:18 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
If I'm going to my good friends' or family's residence for dinner, then I have no problem showing up early. If, however, this is not the case, then I'd probably show up 5-10 minutes after the official start time.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
5 or 10 minutes early isn't a big deal, at least to me.

I personally would find it rather annoying if I'm trying to get stuff together or ready and someone shows up an hour early. Now the host has to "entertain" them while possibly still trying to get ready for the gathering.

JMHO.

YMMV

Old 08-26-2015, 11:50 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
5:00 is a good time. :-) Good grief, be bored for 10 whole minutes -- I promise, it won't kill you. Read CD a little longer. Or use the time to go buy a hostess gift, like a nice bottle of wine or some flowers. Call the hostess and ask if there's anything you can do or bring. If she needs ice, or forgot the ice cream, whatever, then offer to pick it up. Otherwise, show up when invited. That's the ONLY way you can come a few minutes early.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:41 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
5 or 10 minutes early isn't a big deal, at least to me.

I personally would find it rather annoying if I'm trying to get stuff together or ready and someone shows up an hour early. Now the host has to "entertain" them while possibly still trying to get ready for the gathering.

JMHO.

YMMV
You just described my mother-in-law. She always comes 30 minutes to an hour early. One day she was simply picking us up and "traffic was light" so she got there an hour before and we had just gotten out of bed.

I was always taught to be 5 minutes early and that showing up even one minute after the designated time was bad manners. I don't expect anyone to kill 5 minutes before coming to my door, and as a host, anything i'm doing in those last 5 minutes wouldn't be something that couldn't be interrupted since i'm expecting guests any minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships