Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP, what would you do?
Option A: (Lay Down In Shower Until Help Arrived) 7 21.88%
Option B: (Get Wet And Run Through Fire) 25 78.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:21 PM

671 posts, read 900,778 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I were having an argument:

If you were trapped in a bathroom with no windows, and a fire broke out blocking your only exit, what would you do...

A. Lay in the tub, turn the water on, and as the smoke filled the room, place your mouth on the drain to get oxygen... and wait until you were rescued.

B. Turn the shower on, wet yourself, and then run through the fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 PM

612 posts, read 843,755 times
I'm not sure of the point of wetting one's self before running through flames (perhaps you can explain that, will refrain from voting until further info). But answering the question, from what I've seen on TV, most people who die in fires tend to die or pass out from smoke inhalation-- so with that being said, I'd have to choose A

Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Every bedroom has a window, by code. I'd get out through the bedroom window. If my exit from the bathroom was blocked I'd get wet and run to the nearest exit.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:03 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
C. Use water from the bathroom to put out the fire which has just 'broken out' outside the bathroom.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Setting yourself and running through a fire isn't the smartest option when you have no idea how big the fire is on the other side.

That water will evaporate in seconds....not to mention what the smoke and heat inhalation will do to you.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
If you were trapped in a bathroom with no windows, and a fire broke out blocking your only exit, what would you do...
I'm assuming that, in this scenario, the fire has developed enough to completely block the egress from the bathroom before you notice that it's there. First, I would wet a towel and shove it under the door, in order to prevent (or at least delay) the smoke from coming into the room. If the bathroom has an exhaust fan, turn it on, as this will help draw away any smoke that gets in. Then, yes, I would lie down (smoke rises, after all) and try to breathe through the drain -- and pray that someone has witnessed the fire and reported it, and that the fire department will get there quickly. A house can become totally engulfed in a matter of minutes.

If the fire is burning its way through the door, you could try angling the shower head towards it and turning on the water, in hopes of delaying the flames a little bit. But remember to cover your mouth with a wet towel or cloth before you stand up to move the shower head, or else you'll probably drop from smoke inhalation.

As for getting yourself wet and making a run for it, I can imagine doing this only as an absolute last resort, because it will almost certainly be fatal. If there is a robe in the bathroom, get it soaking wet, put it on, then make a run for it. It's possible -- not too likely, but possible -- that the wet robe will protect you long enough to make it out.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
My girlfriend and I were having an argument:

A. Lay in the tub, turn the water on, and as the smoke filled the room, place your mouth on the drain to get oxygen... and wait until you were rescued.

B. Turn the shower on, wet yourself, and then run through the fire.
Flood the bathroom and swim out.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
There is no settling this debate unless this scenario actually happens.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Does the OP have plans???

If I were to plan a fire, I would suggest having clothes handy. A packed suitcase. Fire insurance paid up and things that matter in my car prior to the ignition of said fire.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
C. Use water from the bathroom to put out the fire which has just 'broken out' outside the bathroom.
LOL I vote for this most obvious answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships