Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,054,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I asked him how old he was, he said he was 30, but I knew that wasn't true. Turns out he was 54.
So he's not just a liar, he's also an idiot if he thinks anyone is going to believe that he's 24 years younger than he really is.

Good that you moved on. There would have been other things he would have lied about, he wouldn't have stopped with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,715,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You do. Or you want to be alone. Why do I say that? Because everyone lies. People who think they don't lie or they are in relationships with people who don't are deluded. Do people truly believe they don't lie? Or maybe they just don't want to think of themselves as liars. Sorry to burst your bubble, but everybody is: you, me, your neighbor, your priest, and of course Pinocchio. It's just a matter of how often and how big the lies you tell are. Here are some everyday examples:

"I make $80,000/year, Bob."

"You do NOT look fat in that dress, Dear."

"No, I'm not having an affair."

"Barbara, that haircut looks terrific!"

"I didn't fake it with you last night, Bill. You're the best lover I ever had."

"I'm late for work because of bad traffic." (when you actually overslept or have a hangover).

Or even your six year old child: "No Mom/Dad, I didn't take the last cookie from the cookie jar."

Etc. . .
Am I really the only one who noticed that you snuck lying about an affair in there as being on par with "no your butt doesn't look big in that dress?" lol I feel bad for your wife or girlfriend.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,956,372 times
Quote:
I asked him how old he was, he said he was 30, but I knew that wasn't true. Turns out he was 54.

wow!!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times
I almost can't equate a 54 yo saying he's 30 as lying....it's just so far-fetched and over the top that it's either mental illness or a big joke.

I've heard this is a REAL issue at times in on-line dating where some 55yo guy posts a pic of him from 10 years ago....and lets be honest the gals aren't always on the level either.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,231,348 times
Quote:

So, let me get this straight, that's a TWENTY-FOUR year difference?! Run, don't walk!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM

23,888 posts, read 32,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I think people are going overboard with this whole invective against "liars." Everyone lies on occasion and lying about ones age is very, very common. I think it's a myth that women lie about their age more often than men. I've known plenty of people (of both genders) who shave years off their age. I currently work with 4 men over the age of 60 and 3/4 of them lies about their ages. One is 64 and he claims he just turned 40!

All lies are not created equal. Shaving a few years off your age is not remotely in the same league as lying about an adulterous affair or lying about stealing money, etc. etc.
I also agree with this. No one owes anyone their entire life story. Age discrimination is very real in the work force and in the dating scene.

I'm not sure that I consider shaving a few years off of one's age in our very youth oriented culture, to be a sign of a character flaw.

The same goes for people who ask prying questions - "how much money did you earn last year?" etc.

However, saying that you are 30 rather than 50 or 60, would be in it's own realm.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,605,029 times
Quote:
So, he was just playing around with you? Only a deluded man thinks he can pass for 30 when he is 54, so he was just being funny. Do you often have a hard time differentiating between a joke and a lie?

Old 09-01-2015, 01:54 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,605,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You do. Or you want to be alone. Why do I say that? Because everyone lies. People who think they don't lie or they are in relationships with people who don't are deluded. Do people truly believe they don't lie? Or maybe they just don't want to think of themselves as liars. Sorry to burst your bubble, but everybody is: you, me, your neighbor, your priest, and of course Pinocchio. It's just a matter of how often and how big the lies you tell are. Here are some everyday examples:

"I make $80,000/year, Bob."

"You do NOT look fat in that dress, Dear."

"No, I'm not having an affair."

"Barbara, that haircut looks terrific!"

"I didn't fake it with you last night, Bill. You're the best lover I ever had."

"I'm late for work because of bad traffic." (when you actually overslept or have a hangover).

Or even your six year old child: "No Mom/Dad, I didn't take the last cookie from the cookie jar."

Etc. . .
I am in complete agreement.

The C-D boards are full of delusional people who consider themselves flawless and completely moral in every way, as are all of their friends, family, etc. Lake Wobegon is alive and well and populated by the people posting in this thread.

Anyone who demonizes EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON who has ever violated their 'one strike you're out' no lying rule is literally deluding him or herself. I can only imagine that they think that they are some type of master sleuth who can root out deception like a hog roots out truffles, but in reality they live in a snake pit that they think is full of cuddly kittens.

Everyone lies. Only some are honest enough to admit it. The rest call what OTHER people do 'lying', but have a different name for the dishonesty that THEY THEMSELVES do.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,339,286 times
no, we just dont want to get old either

Old 09-01-2015, 06:31 PM

583 posts, read 707,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
So, let me get this straight, that's a TWENTY-FOUR year difference?! Run, don't walk!
Right. I did RUN like a bat out of hell LOL! but That was the short version of what happened. When I told him that he looks older than 30 he then changed it and said he was 42, and something told me he was STILL being dishonest, so I went and looked it up myself and found out that he was 54. Until I went ahead and told him that I looked him up and found out how old he really is, he kept lying to me about how old he was. Not only that, but other red flags started popping up (him being drunk) and I cut ties with him very quickly. I knew right then and there it wasn't going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships