Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:24 AM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
If you lie about your age, what else do you lie about? That's what I would think anyway.

I stopped asking or expecting anyone to tell me their age when I was in my mid 20s. Around the time people stopped asking me. It's kind of an adult code.

Now it comes out, usually when we talk about HS or college, or show old pictures, talk about music that we like - or sometimes around a birthday.

I have friends made in my 30s 40s and 50s who's precise ages I do not know.

With a romantic relationship, I might want to know as we inched towards the wedding day. If I were just dating someone, I would not ask a man's age.
However, since I am married, this is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Why would a guy lie about his age with respect to a non-romantic relationship?

Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Right. I did RUN like a bat out of hell LOL! but That was the short version of what happened. When I told him that he looks older than 30 he then changed it and said he was 42, and something told me he was STILL being dishonest, so I went and looked it up myself and found out that he was 54. Until I went ahead and told him that I looked him up and found out how old he really is, he kept lying to me about how old he was. Not only that, but other red flags started popping up (him being drunk) and I cut ties with him very quickly. I knew right then and there it wasn't going to work.
Quote:
We weren't in a relationship. We just met. I just decided to cut off communication with him once other red flags, including him lying about his age happened. I don't have to be in a relationship with someone to see that something isn't going to work out. I was just smart not to GET INTO A RELATIONSHIP with him in the first place.
So, you just met. Did he walk up to you and say "Hey, good lookin', you want to get lucky with a 30 year old?"

I've met literally hundreds of people and NEVER had the topic of age come up in a casual conversation.

So he gives you a fake age, you call him out, he splits the difference between the fake age and his real age, and you ran a background check on him to find his real age? You must have had at least his full name and address to be sure it was him. Was this by any chance at some type of speed-dating or singles meet-up event?

On top of that, you are pumping an 'old' drunk guy for personal information at a bar?

My bottom line question is:

If he had told you that he was 54 years old from the get go, would you have been interested in a relationship with him, or would that have been a stopper? How about without all the other red flags?

I do agree with you that you didn't need this guy in your life!

Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM

583 posts, read 712,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
So, you just met. Did he walk up to you and say "Hey, good lookin', you want to get lucky with a 30 year old?"

I've met literally hundreds of people and NEVER had the topic of age come up in a casual conversation.

So he gives you a fake age, you call him out, he splits the difference between the fake age and his real age, and you ran a background check on him to find his real age? You must have had at least his full name and address to be sure it was him. Was this by any chance at some type of speed-dating or singles meet-up event?

On top of that, you are pumping an 'old' drunk guy for personal information at a bar?

My bottom line question is:

If he had told you that he was 54 years old from the get go, would you have been interested in a relationship with him, or would that have been a stopper? How about without all the other red flags?

I do agree with you that you didn't need this guy in your life!

It was not a speed dating event. I don't do that. I met him at a public place. We talked and exchanged numbers. And yes, if he had told me from the get go what his age was, without the red flags, it would have been different. Here's the thing though, I was willing to overlook that, but usually, when people lie about their age, they are lying about other things as well. So like a lot of people in this thread have said, why lie? Be proud of how old you are. Lying only is not only at the expense of your integrity but also at the expense of allowing the person to choose whether or not to possibly pursue anything with you. I think it's fair for someone to be allowed that choice, and what better way than to be honest instead of having that person find out because they fail to tell the truth themselves??? Either way, it doesn't matter, because I stopped talking to him.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
All grown women are in their mid 20's and will remain that age untill they have notified us men other wise.

All grown men are the age that they are and should have no reason to not tell you their true age. About the only time a guy should lie about his age is either if his twin sister is in the room if he has one, or if he is in his 60's and dating a woman that is in fact in her mid 20's.

If a guy in his 60's is dating someone that young then he needs to lie and tell the young lady he is in his 80's, has a million dollar life insurance policy, a home that is paid off, and a nice car. It does not hurt to tell her you have outlived all your brothers and sisters and that no one in your family has ever lived as long as you have and you more than likely are on borrowed time. Maybe let it slip that your other male members of the family died from heart attacks while in bed with their wife's.

. Then ask the girl to get married and see how things work out. LOL

Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
All grown women are in their mid 20's and will remain that age untill they have notified us men other wise.

All grown men are the age that they are and should have no reason to not tell you their true age. About the only time a guy should lie about his age is either if his twin sister is in the room if he has one, or if he is in his 60's and dating a woman that is in fact in her mid 20's.

If a guy in his 60's is dating someone that young then he needs to lie and tell the young lady he is in his 80's, has a million dollar life insurance policy, a home that is paid off, and a nice car. It does not hurt to tell her you have outlived all your brothers and sisters and that no one in your family has ever lived as long as you have and you more than likely are on borrowed time. Maybe let it slip that your other male members of the family died from heart attacks while in bed with their wife's.

. Then ask the girl to get married and see how things work out. LOL
LMAO! Really? Yeah I would love to see how that works too. I will need some popcorn for this lol

Old 09-02-2015, 02:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
LMAO! Really? Yeah I would love to see how that works too. I will need some popcorn for this lol
LOL, I can come up with this stuff all day long.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, I can come up with this stuff all day long.
I like. lol

Old 09-02-2015, 04:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,528 times
Quote:
Ladies or even guys if you want to answer, would you consider it a red flag if a guy lies to a woman about how old he is, especially if the woman is younger? Or would you overlook that and chop it up as a form of flattery and him trying to impress her?
Its a red flag when he lies. I dont care what its about. I lose trust, and respect for him and might doubt everything else he says, too. In his mind hes counting the number of times hes lied and laughing at how easy it was to justify lying to you as "trying to impress". You want to impress me then dont treat me like a fool by telling me lies.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Definite red flag. Do NOT ignore red flags. Do not be a liar either, depending upon which side of the scenario you're on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships