Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM

238 posts, read 227,563 times

Advertisements

The cousin asked first and seems like she has just as much right to her grandmother's things as you should, imo, however, your mom became guardian of this ring for whatever reasons and can do what she wants. I chose not to fight relatives for anything when my loved ones passed, ever, and don't regret it for a second, even though some things were specifically set aside for me. Not worth it, to me.

I agree with the poster who said since neither of you wants the ring, just the stone, neither of you should get it at this time.

If it was a case of wanting for sentimental reasons, one or both could do what my daughter did - my grandmother had given me a gorgeous ring (not diamond, not super super valuable) and my daughter and her fiance took it in and had a copy made for her ring. She updated a bit and changed it to rose gold since that's her style, and the ring was a bit worn and she was afraid of losing my grandmother's stone. I am not a jewelry person, or particular sentimental, my memories are enough, but my youngest daughter is (even though she never met my gramma - she loves my memories) so even though I gave her her great grandmother's ring outright she chose to value it enough not to take any chances with it being lost/damaged/whatever.

Good luck whatever you decide, and just remember, things are things and can be replaced, no one can take your memories, but people, good people, should be treasured and valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 PM

284 posts, read 379,175 times
I think it's kinda simple. Your cousin gets the gold setting, and you get the diamond. She got the only other valuable thing (the china?) and this way you both can enjoy it, share in the memories, and keep your relationship intact, which may be more valuable than gold or diamonds.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:11 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
It belongs to your mother, and it's hers to dispose of or give away as she sees fit. If she wants to give it to you, that's her business, and absolutely no business of her niece. Niece might create drama, but it's only effective if your mom buys into it.

And she certainly does have "family" -- what are you, chopped liver? :-)

Old 08-31-2015, 09:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
This is the similar problem my two sisters and I had when my mother passed. The only fair way is to sell the ring and split the money. If one sister wants the ring she can pony up whatever the buyer wanted to pay then keep it. Who needs this drama? That's why if you have a piece of jewelry and you are near the end of your life give it to who you want to have it. You will be making everyone's life easier.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Whom ever is left standing shall get the ring. May your flurry be swift.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
If I was that mom I'd sell that ring and go on a cruise! Then nobody could fight over it and she could have a good time.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:06 AM

563 posts, read 524,281 times
Well, at least your family observed certain protocols when your grandmother passed. In mine, it is a free for all. I live far away from most of my family, well for that matter, no one lives really close to each other. When my grandmother passed, my sister was the first to get there and literally trashed the place, gleaning from it anything of value. She had rented a truck and even brought helpers. I learned this from my G-ma's neighbors. Everything of any value had been hauled away. So, I have my grandmothers high school diploma, which is fine for me. I did not go to the funeral, because I did not know she had died. I did not bother on going to my grandmothers house until 6 months had passed. It had been picked clean and I think some homeless people may have been living there. You see my sister did not have a key, so she just had the door kicked in. When she left, she left the door open. I did call the police, but it was just a "he said, she said," situation at that time. My sister has had a hard life. She has known her share of lean times, and there is not really anything that I want from someone's passing; well, not anything that anyone else would want.

The diploma is from 1957. They made diplomas very big and ornate at that time. I am sure my grandmother was proud of her diploma. I found it in a trash pile in the old house. I brought it back out west and had it framed. It now hangs in my office.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post

Who gets my grandmother’s wedding ring?

I honestly don't know who would get the ring in this situation, since it now belongs to my mother. Any thoughts?

Neither of you. Engagement /wedding rings purchased by future spouses solves the problem.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Neither of you. Engagement /wedding rings purchased by future spouses solves the problem.
I agree with you.

Leave it in the jewelry box. Why cause unneeded drama?

Is it worth the drama for you to wear it?

Go get your own rings and move on.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I have no idea how this can be settled properly. You should rightfully get the ring if your mother chooses to give it to you, since it is in her posession. Your cousin will get over it eventually, and if not, that's just the way it goes.

This thread is a wake up call for all of you reading this. This will truly help keep the peace in families.

PLEASE,
1) make a will, number ONE
2) This is what we did with the contents of my mother's house, long before she passed away:
Make a list of who gets what from the contents of your home. Choose a sibling or adult child who will be the most fair and go through your house with them. Make a list of ALL valuables, collectables and heirlooms. From there, decide who gets what. Go through the list with everyone. If anyone contests something, settle it NOW, and not have them squabbling after you're gone. If you have to, flip a coin. Then have EVERYONE sign it. Print it off and give a copy to each recipient. Keep the master copy in a safe place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships