U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 AM

37,130 posts, read 45,653,323 times

Advertisements

Simon Cowell (a famously negative and sour judge on AI from England) said a most telling thing on American Idol. He expressed total shock that anyone could be genuinely happy for someone else's good fortune...he truely did not understand the concept.
I wonder if this is a cultural thing, or just a Cowell thing? There is also the other English guy named Pierce on The Apprentice who is the same way. As Americans, do you agree that most of us DO feel genuine happiness for other's good fortune? I do. Any English people out there who can weigh in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
miu

17,149 posts, read 34,648,266 times
Wow. You'd judge ALL Brits based on these two men on your tv set? Simon Cowell is a talent scout and paid to be hyper critical. And the premise of The Apprentice is highly competitive cutthroat business strategies. Pierce is there to win the game. That Omorosa is equally as cold as Pierce and she's black, American and a female.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,195,796 times
No we are not all like them, and not all Americans are like you seem to think

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,513,093 times
Oh please! Give me a break.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,406,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Simon Cowell (a famously negative and sour judge on AI from England) said a most telling thing on American Idol. He expressed total shock that anyone could be genuinely happy for someone else's good fortune...he truely did not understand the concept.
I wonder if this is a cultural thing, or just a Cowell thing? There is also the other English guy named Pierce on The Apprentice who is the same way. As Americans, do you agree that most of us DO feel genuine happiness for other's good fortune? I do. Any English people out there who can weigh in?
Phone Salesman Amazes Crowd - Paul Potts - Video

Simon looks very pleased here!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM

37,130 posts, read 45,653,323 times
Yikes. A little touchy, aren't we? I am not judging them, I am asking a question.
It is my experience, after 60 years on the planet, that Americans in general tend to be happy for others when good things happen. We kind of share in their joy.
If you live in England, or anywhere in Europe, is it YOUR opinion that these two guys I mentioned are just an abberation? The stereotype is that many English people farm their little kids off to drafty old boarding schools where they get no family warmth and so it could result in a kind of warped view of life.
For the record, I'm 1/2 English and that side was a bit cranky.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,599,180 times
Well I'm American and I am genuinely happy for people I know or like that are having good fortune. I'm neutral to everyone else. I mean, why would I be happy for some random guy that wins 20 million dollars? The guy could be a pedophile for all I know. I need to know more than a feel good background story to be genuinely happy for someone.

Last edited by yayoi; 01-28-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
miu

17,149 posts, read 34,648,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yikes. A little touchy, aren't we? I am not judging them, I am asking a question.
It is my experience, after 60 years on the planet, that Americans in general tend to be happy for others when good things happen. We kind of share in their joy.
If you live in England, or anywhere in Europe, is it YOUR opinion that these two guys I mentioned are just an abberation? The stereotype is that many English people farm their little kids off to drafty old boarding schools where they get no family warmth and so it could result in a kind of warped view of life.
For the record, I'm 1/2 English and that side was a bit cranky.
My dad is American and got sent off to boarding school. It's not only a British thing. In addition, of the Brits that get sent off to boarding school, it's mostly the kids from well to do families, not the working class. And maybe that sounds cold and unfeeling on the part of the parents, on the other hand, kids at boarding schools make good friends and still have a lot of fun and good times when they are not in class.

The Brits do seem more formal on the outside because of the way they speak the Kings English so formally and they have impeccable manners unlike Americans, but of the Brits that I've met, they are warm, funny and very friendly people once you get to know them as friends.

Again, Simon is more than encouraged to be critical and cranky at those auditioning. He's looking for real talent on that show. And Pierce is supposed to be a cutthroat businessman, so of course he's not going to show his warm and fuzzy side on The Apprentice.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM

395 posts, read 1,825,744 times
What a baffling question. I am American, but I have lived in England, too. You will find extremes in both nationalities, any nationality, really. You can't possibly assume an entire nation's people lack empathy from your perceived behavior of two individuals. And as miu stated, Simon is paid to judge people's talents. And I don't think he's "famously negative and sour" as you claim, just brutally honest. Frankly I feel that most of those aspiring "singers" on AI deserve his honesty.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,195,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My dad is American and got sent off to boarding school. It's not only a British thing. In addition, of the Brits that get sent off to boarding school, it's mostly the kids from well to do families, not the working class. And maybe that sounds cold and unfeeling on the part of the parents, on the other hand, kids at boarding schools make good friends and still have a lot of fun and good times when they are not in class.

The Brits do seem more formal on the outside because of the way they speak the Kings English so formally and they have impeccable manners unlike Americans, but of the Brits that I've met, they are warm, funny and very friendly people once you get to know them as friends.

Again, Simon is more than encouraged to be critical and cranky at those auditioning. He's looking for real talent on that show. And Pierce is supposed to be a cutthroat businessman, so of course he's not going to show his warm and fuzzy side on The Apprentice.
Thankyou for that you are so right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or