Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Delete, delete, delete. Save the world from this stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 04:15 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
You're brothers answer sounded worse than yours did.

It didn't seem rude to me at all, but I'm not religious at all, so maybe I'm biased... IDK....

Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
This morning I received one of those group message chain mails, about some supposed discussion between God and Satan, and asking to send to 14 people to get a blessing answered, etc.

My brother responded that it's not a biblical passage and he doesn't like forwards.

I responded I don't need to send a chain mail to get blessings or show my love to God.

My brother then said there was no need for me to be rude. It was a friend of his who sent the message.

1. I'm not very religious, so not even sure why I was even included in this chain mail to begin with.
2. If I was being rude, then so was my brother, wasn't he?
3. I was at work when I got this. Plus I'm not a fan of those "Share to send prayers, like for amen, ignore and you worship Satan " and posts like that.

Was I being rude? I didn't even respond because I feel anything else I say at this point is just going to make it worse. And I don't see any point in apologizing, because it's how I feel.
No, Miss J, you were not being rude. The practical STRANGER who presumed that you need to spam 14 friends, acquaintances, or STRANGERS to be in God's good graces was the rude one. God doesn't work that way, at least I don't think God does (and I am a church-going Catholic, if that means anything).

You were not being rude, you were being right. If it were me and my sibling, that is how I would have responded ("I'm not rude, I'm right"). Then again, I have a bad track record for sometimes escalating petty things with those I love. At the end of the day, we love each other and so it does little damage. But just full disclosure. The advice to ignore the situation from this point forward might be best.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Chain mail/letters/emails = juvenile

Delete.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
My workplace doesn't even allow chain emails. A few years back, a co worker was inserting bible phrases into his email signature but the company president put an end to that real quick also.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:57 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

It didn't seem rude to me at all, but I'm not religious at all, so maybe I'm biased... IDK....
But it was his group of friends, that's the difference. My nieces send out a lot of group texts for pics of the kids, so sometimes one of their friends will inadvertently include me in one of their own group texts even though we don't know each other. I would never in that situation say something that could embarrass my niece. They are not my friends, they are hers, and it would be weird IMO for me to chastise them. Just delete and forget about it.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Those things always were a bunch of nonsence and only for those who have nothing better going on and are very superstious. File 13 is where they belong. I actually thought that stuff disappeared. I actually don't forward many e mails as many to me are phony.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:35 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
Yes I could have put it differently, but I was at work and didn't want a slew of texts to follow.
I don't think you did anything wrong. Does your brother want you to have to accept anything that comes along via e-mail? What about unwanted solicitations for friends selling stuff? What if your religion was a lot different from your brother's or the friend who sent the e-mail? If you sent an e-mail to them, how would they handle it? Something tells me they wouldn't be very open to it.

But---the thing about being at work is irrelevant. I've always been amused (okay, and a little peeved) when I call or e-mail people and they are abrupt because it's not a good time. If you don't have the time or freedom to properly respond to a personal e-mail, then couldn't checking your e-mail (or at least, responding to it) wait until you are off work? And no, I'm not your (or anyone's) employer---just pointing out that maybe people could respond to each other in a more mindful, polite manner (not saying you weren't, but you did note twice that you are at work, so this was an inconvenient time for you to be dealing with this) if they didn't multitask and read/respond to e-mails/texts/calls as soon as they come in instead of waiting until the time was better....

Old 09-12-2015, 06:09 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Agree with all the others who say to delete those messages. There is really no way to respond to religious messages without offending.

Quote:

I responded I don't need to send a chain mail to get blessings or show my love to God.
I agree with the posters below. Your response was a little preachy. Just delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"I responded I don't need to send a chain mail to get blessings or show my love to God"
Yeah, that's kind of condescending.
If it makes you feel better, your brother's response wasn't much better, and the person who sent it shouldn't be sending to random acquaintances. Really shouldn't be sending to anyone unless they KNOW it will be welcomed by the recipient.
I agree the proper response is just to ignore it or simply tell the sender that you don't participate in chain mails of any kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I haven't seen the chain mails in years but there is a bunch of that kind of stuff on Facebook. I just move on and ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships