Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I believe that most phone texts, posts on social media, and emails are brainstorms.

Brainstorms will always contain a multitude of mistakes.
Very good point. When we are writing for professional/academic reasons we write a draft, proofread and edit. Writing online or in a text is different. It's generally more off-the-cuff/casual responses. I am typically a good speller and decent writer but sometimes (especially if I'm typing from my phone) I'll find that I misspell words (or autocorrect mis-corrects ) and I don't catch it. If I see it later and it can be edited/corrected sometimes I will (because I do find it annoying and I don't want people thinking I don't know better) but sometimes it can't be easily corrected. When I see others' spelling/grammar mistakes, I tell myself that is most likely what happened to them.

I've had a lot of practice biting my tongue after many years of marriage to a midwesterner who grew up asking "where's it at?" and "I tried to fix it but it's broke." (shudders).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 03:54 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I completely agree with the original poster. If we have reached the stage in our society where you can't gently correct someone on FACTS, and grammar is a matter of FACT, then frankly people are being too sensitive and I think they're being ridiculous. On top of that, in this age of automatic spell check even in free software like Chrome browser, and with free online tools so readily available, there is no excuse for this abundance of sloppiness. Get off your behind and educate yourself already and stop sounding ignorant.

Does anyone remember the Chris Rock segment where he mentions how certain persons seem to take pride in being ignorant, he says "{they} love being ignorant. Nothing makes them happier than not knowing the answer to your question." To paraphrase Chris Rock, "they think they're 'keeping it real.' They're in fact 'keeping it real' DUMB." Exactly.

In other words, too many people don't take pride in education and being enlightened and sounding intelligent. They either are downright PROUD of sounding ignorant or, probably more commonly, they're too lazy to try, and again given the abundance of tools we have at our disposal, there's no excuse for it. Instead of appreciating it when someone educates them on the right spelling or whatever, they get ugly about it, and frankly there's no reason to. Facts are indisputable, and if you say "your cute when your face has that expression" or "the dog wagged it's tail," that is wrong, and that is not opinion, it is FACT.

It's all enough to make me wish I was a teacher, because this would be a point of emphasis. The minute someone DARED to make out like it didn't matter, I'd dress them down verbally like Joe "Lean on Me" Clark. Their papers would be flunked with zeros based solely on bad grammar, especially if it appeared they were being to where they were flagrantly neglecting to at least TRY and get it HALFWAY right. There is no excuse for not at least TRYING to get the words right. Ignorance and intellectual laziness are nothing to be proud of, not in the least.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I completely agree with the original poster. If we have reached the stage in our society where you can't gently correct someone on FACTS, and grammar is a matter of FACT, then frankly people are being too sensitive and I think they're being ridiculous. On top of that, in this age of automatic spell check even in free software like Chrome browser, and with free online tools so readily available, there is no excuse for this abundance of sloppiness. Get off your behind and educate yourself already and stop sounding ignorant.

Does anyone remember the Chris Rock segment where he mentions how certain persons seem to take pride in being ignorant, he says "{they} love being ignorant. Nothing makes them happier than not knowing the answer to your question." To paraphrase Chris Rock, "they think they're 'keeping it real.' They're in fact 'keeping it real' DUMB." Exactly.

In other words, too many people don't take pride in education and being enlightened and sounding intelligent. They are people who take pride in being ignorant rather than taking pride in sounding like they have more than a 2nd grade education. Instead of appreciating it when someone educates them on the right spelling or whatever, they get ugly about it, and frankly there's no reason to. Facts are indisputable, and if you say "your cute when your face has that expression," THAT IS WRONG, and that is FACT that it is wrong. That is not opinion, that is FACT.

It's all enough to make me wish I was a teacher, because this would be a point of emphasis. The minute someone DARED to make out like it didn't matter, I'd dress them down verbally like Joe "Lean on Me" Clark. Their papers would be flunked with zeros based solely on bad grammar, especially if it appeared they were being to where they were flagrantly neglecting to at least TRY and get it HALFWAY right.
This revelation is really no surprise at all. Feigning this hard*ss persona seems to be your hobby.

Intelligence is like underwear. It's important to have it but not necessary to show it off, and you certainly don't need to use it on people like a weapon.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:09 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This revelation is really no surprise at all. Feigning this hard*ss persona seems to be your hobby.

Intelligence is like underwear. It's important to have it but not necessary to show it off, and you certainly don't need to use it on people like a weapon.
No one is doing any such thing. It's about sounding intelligent rather than sounding like an uneducated simpleton or, worse, someone who has no respect and regard for sounding and acting halfway educated and intelligent. A person with any sense of pride in oneself would appreciate someone trying to enlighten them (without any air of superiority, mind you) about proper usage and spelling of words.

Really, what's the difference between that and, say, someone who mispronounces a word and someone corrects them on it? What's the difference between this and someone saying "These socks were $3, but I only paid $2, I got them for half price" and you enlighten them that if the socks were half-price the socks would have been $1.50?

Facts are facts, and "your cute when your hair is combed that way" or "the car is missing it's oil pan" are factually wrong, and there's nothing wrong with pointing out incorrect facts. The trick is to do so without being a jerk about it, I agree, but if simply pointing out an error at all is now a qualifier for one to be labeled a incontinent blowhard, heaven help us.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:12 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
I'm one of those people who can't stand it when people write "your" when they mean "you're" AND, I'm ashamed to say that I have caught myself doing it . It happened out of rushing or something else (who knows what ~ maybe going unconscious).

I think in today's busy world with people so busy, all kinds of weird things happen via text, email, or PM. I have actually noticed a couple of times where I typed a word that I didn't mean to type, and one that's completely unrelated to what I meant to type. It's bizarre, it might start with the same two or three letters but then something takes over my hands and a different word comes out....I find it hard to believe that this can happen, and wonder where it comes from but have noticed it on more than once occasion .

Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
No one is doing any such thing. It's about sounding intelligent rather than sounding like an uneducated simpleton or, worse, someone who has no respect and regard for sounding and acting halfway educated and intelligent. A person with any sense of pride in oneself would appreciate someone trying to enlighten them (without any air of superiority, mind you) about proper usage and spelling of words.

Really, what's the difference between that and, say, someone who mispronounces a word and someone corrects them on it? What's the difference between this and someone saying "These socks were $3, but I only paid $2, I got them for half price" and you enlighten them that if the socks were half-price the socks would have been $1.50?

Facts are facts, and "your cute when your hair is combed that way" or "the car is missing it's oil pan" are factually wrong, and there's nothing wrong with pointing out incorrect facts. The trick is to do so without being a jerk about it, I agree, but if simply pointing out an error at all is now a qualifier for one to be labeled a incontinent blowhard, heaven help us.
I would almost believe that your desire to correct each and every little wrong thing people say is purely righteous, except for the obvious air of superiority and the Joe Clark fantasy.

I know I'm preaching to a brick wall, but you can't bash your way through life with a baseball bat.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I hate it when people talk about "loosing" weight or whatever too. But what can you do? If they are adults and they don't know the difference, are they likely to thank you for the correction, or take your criticism to heart? I think not.

For me the test is understandibility. If communication is taking place, then I tend to let it go. If the text or post isn't understandable, I might post back ???? or some such. Sometimes on this board I've posted when people don't seem to be able to communicate properly in their posts.

But I think it best to leave the grammar and usage checks to the grammar police.

I also think it is OK to ask for clarification on a post or text if it is not clear.

And, I find spelling and grammar flubs pretty funny. But I notice when I read some of my old posts, I've made mistakes too.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
No one likes grammar Nazis, its annoying. Why pick at every flaw in people when you likely aren't perfect yourself? I don't imagine you'd be happy with people bringing up things in your past and picking thru them with a fine pick comb and criticizing them.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I ain't none a them grammar Nazis but it's entertainin when some one shows off their book learnen.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 PM

509 posts, read 554,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I guess in the future, I just need to immediately delete any posts from my feed that are going to spike my blood pressure...
If misspelled words are causing your blood pressure to go up then you have issues far greater than a disdain for poor grammar.

Apologize to your friend and look into seeing a therapist for your disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships