Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 18,269 times

Advertisements

I don't want to live at home to simply live off of my parents. I want to do it to sacrifice for a greater cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan101 View Post
I don't think you understand dude. First off, I am not white. So yeah we come from different cultures. I am Indian. And let me school you real quick. Indian families stick together. They didn't yell at me because I have to "be a man" because this is not about being a man. This is about making a career change and saving as much money as possible while doing it. Because you know why? When they fall sick, I have no problem paying for their medical bills (with the money I save) as is the other way around. If I fall sick, I know for a fact that they have no problem paying my medical bills. We are a family and we stick together. I do not know how it is like in your culture but that's how it is in mine.

So yeah spare me with that big American ego [snip].

He yelled at me for because I would be losing 3 months of paychecks....for which I am not paying him for anything right now. I am paying everything which relates to me (like med insurance, car insurance) myself.

and you are saying this is "not doing something about it"....you know what's "not doing something about it"?
If I were to move back home and sit there and not pursue a career change.

doing something about it is paying money off of my own darn pocket for my own training.

like I said, you old farts assume a lot of things when you don't have enough evidence. I laugh at you. Please kick yourself in the lady nuts.
Um.

I am Indian.

When my dad was your age, he was sending money BACK to India to his parents. He had a studio apartment and one set of eating utensils and a mattress. And still sent money back while pursuing his 2 masters degrees. Also working.

EXCUSE FAIL!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-14-2015 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Perfectly said, yellowbelle.

If one of my adult children even considered moving back into the family home like the OP, expecting us to support him/her again, I'd know I had failed in my job as a parent.

I would take back either of my Sons, if they needed help, and not think a second thought about it. That is what families do for each other. I would think I failed if they were afraid to ask me for help when they needed it ! There is a difference between being a mooch and having a temporary problem that they need help with.

Better watch what you say, after all, some day YOU will be old and helpless, and YOU may need to be taken in and helped by one of your kids.

Don

Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
I am 26 years old ...
I stopped right here. You don't have to convince them of anything.

[]

Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Sometimes as parents you have to let your children fail in order to succeed. Eaglesfan what you are not seeing is your lack of helping yourself. Going back to school to find yourself isn't the answer.

If you want to go back to school, do it yourself. Learn to be successful without a safety net. Show your parents what you are willing to do to be successful. By throwing your hands in the air and giving up, it isn't earning anyone's respect.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Man all of you **** me off and think I will just live over there with my parents and mooch off of them for the rest of my life. Dang some of you older people here just LOVE to assume so many things. Jesus...

I simply said I want to move back home so I have a place to stay so I can train myself in SAP for a couple of months and be out of there when I get a job.

HEAR ME LOUD AND CLEAR YOU OLD PEOPLE...
I will pay my own rent.
I will pay my own car payment.
I will pay for my own SAP training.
If I go out with friends, I will pay for my own leisure activities.

So yeah...you old farts said enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Then why move back home? If you can pay rent, do that in your place
I agree with eyeb, why do you need to (want to) move home?

Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
I have 13 grand in my bank account. And no they don't pay any of my bills. I just want to move back home while I do the SAP training and just move on with my life by finding a job that makes me happy.
13 grand is a decent nest egg, but it isn't enough. Between breaking your lease, moving, paying a new deposit, etc... just getting to Dallas, TX and getting established on your own is likely to run you around 3 grand.

I live in Atlanta. It isn't Texas, but it isn't all horrible either. If you hate your job then I would leave it, but you should be smart about how you go about it:

1. Set a dollar amount and an end date. If you can put 5-7 grand more in the bank before the end of the year, then stick it out for that long. IN THE MEANTIME you should interview for other job (either in Dallas or in Atlanta) on the off chance that you find something that you like better. The end date should be a date that you refuse to work past at this company. It is September now, so maybe November or December might be a good cut off date.

If you decide to put in your notice tomorrow, then be prepared to find/accept a lower paying job so that you can pay your rent without dipping into your savings which you will need to move to Dallas.

2. Relax. My job was stressing me out too. I channeled all of that stress and unhappiness into job hunting, keeping records of resume submissions (and replies), making sure that I showed regular activity searching on careerbuilder and calling up companies that I was the most interested in.

With more than 100 resume submissions, I totaled only 5 job interviews over a 6 month period, and only received two offers. Its tough to get noticed in this day and age. Atlanta actually has a weak job market overall, even though IT and programming tend to be stronger than other fields here.

Before you put in notice, see if you can trick your company into paying for your SAP training.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Do what you want to do but have a game plan. If you want to move back to Dallas then do it. Many other people have started out with less. Sounds like your on borrowed time as it is.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
13 grand is a decent nest egg, but it isn't enough. Between breaking your lease, moving, paying a new deposit, etc... just getting to Dallas, TX and getting established on your own is likely to run you around 3 grand.

I live in Atlanta. It isn't Texas, but it isn't all horrible either. If you hate your job then I would leave it, but you should be smart about how you go about it:

1. Set a dollar amount and an end date. If you can put 5-7 grand more in the bank before the end of the year, then stick it out for that long. IN THE MEANTIME you should interview for other job (either in Dallas or in Atlanta) on the off chance that you find something that you like better. The end date should be a date that you refuse to work past at this company. It is September now, so maybe November or December might be a good cut off date.

If you decide to put in your notice tomorrow, then be prepared to find/accept a lower paying job so that you can pay your rent without dipping into your savings which you will need to move to Dallas.

2. Relax. My job was stressing me out too. I channeled all of that stress and unhappiness into job hunting, keeping records of resume submissions (and replies), making sure that I showed regular activity searching on careerbuilder and calling up companies that I was the most interested in.

With more than 100 resume submissions, I totaled only 5 job interviews over a 6 month period, and only received two offers. Its tough to get noticed in this day and age. Atlanta actually has a weak job market overall, even though IT and programming tend to be stronger than other fields here.

Before you put in notice, see if you can trick your company into paying for your SAP training.
I will agree with you that Atlanta has a weak job market overall especially for young professionals with little to no work experience in their profession. When I graduated back in December 2014 all I could land was a temp to hire position as an associate chemist making $17 an hour no benefits. After 6 months of sending out resumes in the state I only obtained two interviews for permanent positions and one was a low paying quality control technician job paying 30k a year less than what I was making as a temp at the time. After working 8 and a half months as a temp for my current company I finally was able to be converted into a permanent chemist role for a position I applied to 3 months earlier in another research group. In my opinion if you have a job that pays $50k+ with benefits it's best to keep that job until you find a higher paying one because decent paying jobs are still hard to come by even though the economy has improved a little but a lot of the new jobs added are very low paying service and retail jobs paying less than $15 an hour.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 AM

14 posts, read 18,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I would take back either of my Sons, if they needed help, and not think a second thought about it. That is what families do for each other. I would think I failed if they were afraid to ask me for help when they needed it ! There is a difference between being a mooch and having a temporary problem that they need help with.

Better watch what you say, after all, some day YOU will be old and helpless, and YOU may need to be taken in and helped by one of your kids.

Don
Thanks for the support. Some people just don't seem to get what a family is actually for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships